Group policy for XP on windows 2000 domain controller.

hello

I just want to be sure if i got it correct, please let me know if i am wrong.

In the article Upgrading Windows 2000 Group Policy for Windows XP Article ID
: 307900. Somewhere in the middle of the document it is stated following:
You can now adjust the policy settings in this Policy object by using the
Group Policy console from the Windows XP-based client.

Does it mean that i will not be able to see and change new policies from the
domain controller (Windows 2000). Old policies will be viewable and maged on
Windows 2000 and new ones would be viewable and managed with windows XP only?

Is this right?

Thank you very much.

Roger Waters
3 answers Last reply
More about group policy windows 2000 domain controller

    Hi,

    >Does it mean that i will not be able to see and change new policies
    >from the domain controller (Windows 2000).

    No it doesn’t mean that. You can still edit just the same from the DC.
    The New XP group policies are the new policies for Windows XP
    machines. However, they are the same format as the previous ones with
    a few more settings. It is recommended to update especially if you
    plan to deploy XP SP2 in your Domain.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-XP-windows-2000-domain-controller-ftopict265852.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=832193

    ThYou can see them. You just can't see everything.
    You don't see the indicators of what OS version each setting supports

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "Roger Waters" <RogerWaters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hello
    >
    > I just want to be sure if i got it correct, please let me know if i am
    > wrong.
    >
    > In the article Upgrading Windows 2000 Group Policy for Windows XP Article
    > ID
    > : 307900. Somewhere in the middle of the document it is stated following:
    > You can now adjust the policy settings in this Policy object by using the
    > Group Policy console from the Windows XP-based client.
    >
    > Does it mean that i will not be able to see and change new policies from
    > the
    > domain controller (Windows 2000). Old policies will be viewable and maged
    > on
    > Windows 2000 and new ones would be viewable and managed with windows XP
    > only?
    >
    > Is this right?
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > Roger Waters

    Thank you for prompt reply

    I did it as described in the article Upgrading Windows 2000 Group Policy for
    Windows XP Article ID: 307900 and i can see new policy settings from Windows
    2000 DC for the upgraded policy.

    When i open policy which is upgraded and if i go to the USER CONFIGURATION
    and if i want to expand ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES it is taking more time than
    usually to display them. Is this normal behaviour due to upgrading of group
    policy files or there is something wrong?

    Thank you once more
    Roger Waters

    "Mark Dormer" wrote:

    > ThYou can see them. You just can't see everything.
    > You don't see the indicators of what OS version each setting supports
    >
    > Regards
    > Mark Dormer
    >
    > "Roger Waters" <RogerWaters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hello
    > >
    > > I just want to be sure if i got it correct, please let me know if i am
    > > wrong.
    > >
    > > In the article Upgrading Windows 2000 Group Policy for Windows XP Article
    > > ID
    > > : 307900. Somewhere in the middle of the document it is stated following:
    > > You can now adjust the policy settings in this Policy object by using the
    > > Group Policy console from the Windows XP-based client.
    > >
    > > Does it mean that i will not be able to see and change new policies from
    > > the
    > > domain controller (Windows 2000). Old policies will be viewable and maged
    > > on
    > > Windows 2000 and new ones would be viewable and managed with windows XP
    > > only?
    > >
    > > Is this right?
    > >
    > > Thank you very much.
    > >
    > > Roger Waters

Policy Windows 2000 Domain Controller Windows XP Windows