Defrag question please

I have a smoothly running XP computer. For some time now, when I check
the defrag in control panel and analyze for possible defrag, I keep
getting the same notice that says a defrag isn't needed on this drive.
Right now I'm showing 84% free space and defrag not needed. The last
defrag was several months ago, and even that was done with the defrag
message telling me it wasn't needed.
What's unusual is that I used to get a "defrag this drive message every
month or so. There have been no changes made on the system, but the
defrag message calling for a defrag doesn't come up any more.
Is this a known issue in XP, or is there something I can do to check
that the defrag program is actually working properly?
Many thanks
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

Periodically, Windows XP will automatically perform a partial,
behind the scenes defrag, while idle.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Dudley Henriques" wrote:

| I have a smoothly running XP computer. For some time now, when I check
| the defrag in control panel and analyze for possible defrag, I keep
| getting the same notice that says a defrag isn't needed on this drive.
| Right now I'm showing 84% free space and defrag not needed. The last
| defrag was several months ago, and even that was done with the defrag
| message telling me it wasn't needed.
| What's unusual is that I used to get a "defrag this drive message every
| month or so. There have been no changes made on the system, but the
| defrag message calling for a defrag doesn't come up any more.
| Is this a known issue in XP, or is there something I can do to check
| that the defrag program is actually working properly?
| Many thanks
| Dudley Henriques
| International Fighter Pilots Fellowship

Thank you.
DH

Dudley Henriques wrote:

>I have a smoothly running XP computer. For some time now, when I check
>the defrag in control panel and analyze for possible defrag, I keep
>getting the same notice that says a defrag isn't needed on this drive.
>Right now I'm showing 84% free space and defrag not needed. The last
>defrag was several months ago, and even that was done with the defrag
>message telling me it wasn't needed.

I have always found the MS defrag far too likely to say not needed. Do
it at convenience - say maybe once a month

Thanks Alex. I'm hearing that I should get the O&O defrag to replace the
XP cut down version of Diskkeeper. Do you concur with this thinking, or
is the XP supplied defrag sufficient?
Dudley
"Alex Nichol" <alexn.mvpdts@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote in message
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>
>>I have a smoothly running XP computer. For some time now, when I check
>>the defrag in control panel and analyze for possible defrag, I keep
>>getting the same notice that says a defrag isn't needed on this drive.
>>Right now I'm showing 84% free space and defrag not needed. The last
>>defrag was several months ago, and even that was done with the defrag
>>message telling me it wasn't needed.
>
> I have always found the MS defrag far too likely to say not needed.
> Do
> it at convenience - say maybe once a month
>

> --
> Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
> Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

Good Morning,
Two things: (1) As has already been stated, I never pay any
attention to the programs statement on the necessity of defragmentation.
I just do it about every week or two. (2) Just what proof is offered to
justify purchase of another defragger? I have seen this subject
discussed many, many times WITHOUT any substantial facts presented to
support another defragger. Just one opinion against another! So long as
your computer has no problems you can relate specifically to the Windows
defragger, I suggest you keep your money.
Gene K

Dudley Henriques wrote:
> Thanks Alex. I'm hearing that I should get the O&O defrag to replace the
> XP cut down version of Diskkeeper. Do you concur with this thinking, or
> is the XP supplied defrag sufficient?
> Dudley
> "Alex Nichol" <alexn.mvpdts@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote in message
>
>>Dudley Henriques wrote:
>>

>>>I have a smoothly running XP computer. For some time now, when I check
>>>the defrag in control panel and analyze for possible defrag, I keep
>>>getting the same notice that says a defrag isn't needed on this drive.
>>>Right now I'm showing 84% free space and defrag not needed. The last
>>>defrag was several months ago, and even that was done with the defrag
>>>message telling me it wasn't needed.
>>
>>I have always found the MS defrag far too likely to say not needed.
>>Do
>>it at convenience - say maybe once a month
>>

>>--
>>Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
>>Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

The primary reason I spent $20 on Diskeeper 9 was to have a defragger that
automatically defrags as needed. The best time to defrag is when 'needed'.
Regular scheduling is OK. It gets the defragging done. But I figure, why
do it when it is not needed.

"Not Me" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Good Morning,
> Two things: (1) As has already been stated, I never pay any
> attention to the programs statement on the necessity of
> defragmentation. I just do it about every week or two. (2) Just what
> proof is offered to justify purchase of another defragger? I have seen
> this subject discussed many, many times WITHOUT any substantial facts
> presented to support another defragger. Just one opinion against
> another! So long as your computer has no problems you can relate
> specifically to the Windows defragger, I suggest you keep your money.
> Gene K
>
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>> Thanks Alex. I'm hearing that I should get the O&O defrag to replace
>> the XP cut down version of Diskkeeper. Do you concur with this
>> thinking, or is the XP supplied defrag sufficient?
>> Dudley
>> "Alex Nichol" <alexn.mvpdts@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote in message

>>>I have always found the MS defrag far too likely to say not needed.
>>>Do
>>>it at convenience - say maybe once a month
>>>

>>>--
>>>Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
>>>Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

Thank you very much.
DH

Not Me wrote:
> Good Morning,
> Two things: (1) As has already been stated, I never pay any
> attention to the programs statement on the necessity of
> defragmentation. I just do it about every week or two. (2) Just what
> proof is offered to justify purchase of another defragger? I have
> seen this subject discussed many, many times WITHOUT any substantial
> facts presented to support another defragger. Just one opinion
> against another! So long as your computer has no problems you can
> relate specifically to the Windows defragger, I suggest you keep your
> money. Gene K

Then you have either done no research at all - or you're an idiot.

I use Raxco PerfectDisk because

- It will defrag with only 1% free (Windows Defrag requires 20%)
- It monitors the drive and will perform a defrag, if required, when the
system is idle
- It can be scheduled
- It defrags boot and system files as well as data (the Windows defrag does
*NOT* defrag system, paging or boot files.
- It can be set to defrag in the background and doesn't hog the CPU.

That's five convincing arguments - how many can you counter?

on salads.

Dudley Henriques wrote:

>Thanks Alex. I'm hearing that I should get the O&O defrag to replace the
>XP cut down version of Diskkeeper. Do you concur with this thinking, or
>is the XP supplied defrag sufficient?

Have not tried O&O myself, my preference is Perfect Disk, which is an
excellent one. I do have a strong preference for one, that like PD will
consolidate free space. And in that one, unlike the inbuilt or (I think
still) Diskeeper, does *not* require 15 % free space to work at all

I just downloaded Perfect Disk and am trying it now. It looks good.
They suggested I do an initial offline with all selected, then
immediately do a smart placement; thereafter doing the smart placement
with off line once a month.

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> I use Raxco PerfectDisk because
>
> - It will defrag with only 1% free (Windows Defrag requires 20%)

That's funny. On my system Disk Defragmenter recommends 15% free space. But
it will happily defrag with a lot less free space. I have no idea where you
have 20% from, my guess is you're mixing up with a general concensus about
recommended free space.

> - It can be scheduled

That may be true, but I don't see the relevance since the same is also true
for the Windows Disk Defragmenter.

The lady is right. I just tested the windows lite version and got
minimal defragging. The O&O did a credible job and is a fine program,
but my choice after testing was PerfectDisk. It was the only defrag I
tested that allowed me an offline pass for the page file and boot files,
then in Smart mode, it completely organized my entire system for optimum
condition based on my individual file access.
In my opinion, and I'm not an expert by any means, is that PerfectDisk
is the best defrag program out there for XP specifically. The defrag
went perfectly and I'm showing a perfect 0 with everything else in order
as well. The system is running like a scared rabbit. It's so fast, it
wants to send my email before I'm finished writing it :)))))
And just as a side note, before I even installed PerfectDisk, I called
their support on their 800 number to ask a question. Their tech was
extremely well versed, uncommonly polite and patient, and I ended up
spending the better part of a pleasant hour with him on the phone; far
and above any tech support I have seen yet for third party software.
Just my opinion on this of course.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI Retired
for private email; make necessary changes between ( )
dhenriques(at)(delete all this)earthlink(dot)net

André Gulliksen wrote:
> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>> I use Raxco PerfectDisk because
>>
>> - It will defrag with only 1% free (Windows Defrag requires 20%)
>
> That's funny. On my system Disk Defragmenter recommends 15% free
> space. But it will happily defrag with a lot less free space. I have
> no idea where you have 20% from, my guess is you're mixing up with a
> general concensus about recommended free space.

15, 20 - it really makes no odds. I am not making anything up - I know what
I'm talking about, I've had it for five years.

>> - It can be scheduled
>
> That may be true, but I don't see the relevance since the same is
> also true for the Windows Disk Defragmenter.

No it's not. Prove to me how the native defrag can be scheduled without use
of a third-party applet.

You've not countered any of my other points, I see...

on salads.

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> 15, 20 - it really makes no odds. I am not making anything up - I
> know what I'm talking about, I've had it for five years.

???

>>> - It can be scheduled

>> That may be true, but I don't see the relevance since the same is
>> also true for the Windows Disk Defragmenter.

> No it's not. Prove to me how the native defrag can be scheduled
> without use of a third-party applet.

Press Start -> (All) Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Scheduled
Tasks -> Add Scheduled Task -> Next -> Browse -> Enter
'%SystemRoot%\System32\dfrg.msc' and press 'Open'. Select when you want to
run it, and Bob is your uncle.

> You've not countered any of my other points, I see...

It was not my intention to 'counter' your points, only to correct the points
I considered to be wrong. If I wanted to give you a bunch of reasons why a
commercial third party defrag application would not be worth the money to me
personally, I could.

André Gulliksen wrote:
> Press Start -> (All) Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools ->
> Scheduled Tasks -> Add Scheduled Task -> Next -> Browse -> Enter
> '%SystemRoot%\System32\dfrg.msc' and press 'Open'. Select when you
> want to run it, and Bob is your uncle.

Sorry, I have to correct myself here. Instead of
'%SystemRoot%\System32\dfrg.msc' you will have to use
'%SystemRoot%\System32\defrag.exe c:' for the C: drive, and also use
additional entires for other drives. Sorry for any inconvenience.

jfarson

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I would recommend Diskeeper. It is a completely automated solution taking care of fragmentation when needed. It will also help to consolidate your free space.

Best of all, you wont have to worry about having to run it and weather or not you need to run it.

You can check out a free 30 day trial at their site. It is fully fictional so you can put it through its paces and know what you are getting. I have been using it for years and it has helped me keep my machine running smoothly.