how to connect 6 d-link dwl2100ap together

ippaddy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Hi All

I am trying to set up an ip camera on the front gate of an estate and one on the back gate.
There is a big mast in the middle that can see both camera's and the office. So in total I have 6 AP'S 3 at the mast. I cant seem to get all 6 to see eachother I put a 5 port router at the mast.
Each pair of wireless lans can see each other ie: one at the mast can comunicate with one of the camera's and another can communicate with the office but the office cant communicate with the cameras

I have messed around with the settings so much at this stage its a blure as to what i have done so far :lol:

Can anybody help with the settings

Regards

john

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
If you use periods at the end of sentences, I think your posts will be much easier to understand. I don't understand how you have counted 6 WLANs. Do you mean 6 APs?

Also, this statement would seem to be contradicting itself:

each pair of wireless lans see each other but I cant seem to get them all to see each other

We really need more information as you haven't been very specific as to how everything is connected. Is there ethernet run from the mast to the rest of the nonwireless network? What is the router connected to? In general you should not be using three APs at the central site, it would be better to use a single AP in point to multipoint mode there and use bridges for the two cameras.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
One AP at the mast, one at each camera, one at the office. The one on the mast will be point to multipoint, all others will be point to point. No need for the router or other two APs.

ippaddy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Hi FredWeston

Each camera and the office are approxematly half a mile from the mast in different directions. One of the camera's is over 1 mile from the office. So I put up 3 directional aerial's on the mast and 1 at each camera and office

Regards

John

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
That's not the best way to go about it. I would have used an omni at the center and directional antennas for the cameras and office. Reason being, three APs that close to each other are probably going to interfere with each other fairly substantially. Luckily you have three channels to use, but even on different channels it's my opinion that it is still not a great idea to locate multiple radios so close together.

So in your current setup how have you ascertained that each link is working? Can you provide your IP addressing scheme?

ippaddy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Thank you for your help, I got the system to work, The problem was one of the units had a faulty LAN port, all sorted now

Regards

John Donnelly