Disk Quota limit cannot be changed once set?

I set a GPO with 100MB on the local drivers of some workstations and
later discovered that it was restricting Windows Updates from
installing (I didn't know Windows updates were supposed to count
against the user's quota anyway.)
So, I upped the quota to 4 GB and the warning level to 3GB.
However even after the policy updated showing the new quota on the disk
properties, quota tab, the amount of free space never increased.
It is a 20GB drive with 18 GB of free space, but only shows 80MB of
free space available.
I am able to turn the quota on and off, but when turned back on, the
free space on the hard drive always goes back to the free space it had
when the quota was originally set at 100MB.
Why won't the free space listed increase to the amount it should be
based on the new quota limit?

Secondly, can you set a quota to limit how much peronal data users can
save on their drives withouyt it restricting the space available for
Windows updates?
6 answers Last reply
More about disk quota limit changed

    Disk Quota limits can indeed be changed once set. I just verified this
    in our test lab. I'm not sure what could be causing the symptoms you're
    experiencing. Have you tried deleting the disk quota GP and recreating
    it with the new levels?

    I'm unsure about the Windows Update question. I don't believe you can
    set it up like that though. I believe that a quota will limit the total
    space the user has access to, but I don't believe you can designate
    that kind of granular control on their disk quotas.

    Sorry I wasn't able to offer more specific advice.

    Hope it helps you out,

    -Colin

    The new quota is working, but not for user profiles that received the
    old quota. New users logging in to the machine for the first time get
    the the new quota, but it does not go away from the profiles that got
    the old quota. They have to to be changed manually by logging in with
    a local administrator account and editing the quota by hand. The GPO
    does not change and existing user's profile more than once.
    If I completely delete the user's disk quota properties on the machine
    and blow away their user profile, then it gets the new settings in the
    GPO. That is too much manual labor per machine.

    Hrrm, that is really odd. That is absolutely not the behavior it
    should displaying. I'll ask around, see what I can dig up. If I find
    anything out, I'll let you know.

    -Colin

    Colin Torretta [MSFT] wrote:
    > Hrrm, that is really odd. That is absolutely not the behavior it
    > should displaying. I'll ask around, see what I can dig up. If I find
    > anything out, I'll let you know.
    >
    > -Colin

    I want to be sure this is clear.
    Disabling and re-enabling the disk quota works for all profiles.
    However, when the profile is re-enabled any existing profiles revert
    back to the original quota size. This is being "saved" in the profile
    somewhere instead of it changing to the new quota limits.
  5. Hi, I understand this might sound crazy but after 2 years, have you found the solution to your issue on the disk quota limit not applying to existing user profiles ?

    I'm using WinServer 2003 Standard and all clients are WinXPP SP2.
    I'm facing the same problem as above user. Initially i set a Quota Limit at 10gb. UserA logs in and get the Quota Limit set correctly on the local C:. Then i decided to up the limit to 12gb. When UserA logs in, it still reflects 10gb. But when i login as UserB, it reflects 12gb correctly.
    I've actually tried to go into the "Quota Entries" under the "Quota" tab. Inside there, i actually see all the previously set quotas for individual users. I double click on the user, turn off quota and click OK. Went in again and turn it back on and it actually shows the correct quota now. But i was wondering is there any solution that i can set using GPO so that all the users in the "Quota Entries" will reflect the modified Quota Limit in the GPO ? Thank you !
  6. can anyone help me on this ? I too facing exactly same issue with the existing profiles. :(

Policy Free Space Windows