Cookies in Roaming Profiles

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 17, 2005 7:32:40 PM

Environment: Win 2K3 Servers and XP clients with latest GP templates.

I am using mandatory roaming profiles in conjunction with a Proxy Server to
limit access to certain websites. The problem is that one of the sites that
require access is getting a Cookies error on my clients. I found a rule in
the Group Policy that can exclude the cookies folder from roaming, but that
didn't solve the problem. Does anyone know of a resolve?

Thanks,
Dave
Systems Engineer
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 9:58:15 PM

"dmangra" wrote:
> Environment: Win 2K3 Servers and XP clients with latest GP
> templates.
>
> I am using mandatory roaming profiles in conjunction with a
> Proxy Server to
> limit access to certain websites. The problem is that one of
> the sites that
> require access is getting a Cookies error on my clients. I
> found a rule in
> the Group Policy that can exclude the cookies folder from
> roaming, but that
> didn't solve the problem. Does anyone know of a resolve?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
> Systems Engineer

Hi,

With Mandatory Profiles no changes are set and they are deleted at
logoff. You might want to delete the contents of the Cookie folder of
the Mandatory Profile (at the Server level).

I use mandatory Profiles but want my users access to Cookies.
Therefore I have redirected their Cookies and their Favorites to their
H:\ (home Drive) using the following logon script.

VB script that creates the folder

On Error Resume Next
Set fs = CreateObject ("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set foldr = fs.CreateFolder ("H:\Favorites")
fs.CopyFolder "\\server\NETLOGON\Links" ,
"H:\Favorites\Links" , FALSE
fs.CopyFolder "\\server\NETLOGON\Profile\Cookies" ,
"H:\Favorites\Cookies" , FALSE
On Error Resume Next
Set WSHShell = nothing

VB Script that does the redirection

Dim Path
Path =
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp
lorer\User
Shell Folders\"
set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
o=ws.RegWrite(Path & "Favorites", "H:\Favorites",
"REG_EXPAND_SZ")
v=ws.RegRead(Path & "Favorites")
Set WSHShell = nothing

Path =
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp
lorer\Shell
Folders\"
set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
o=ws.RegWrite(Path & "Favorites", "H:\Favorites",
"REG_EXPAND_SZ")
v=ws.RegRead(Path & "Favorites")
Set WSHShell = nothing

Path =
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp
lorer\User
Shell Folders\"
set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
o=ws.RegWrite(Path & "Cookies", "H:\Favorites\Cookies",
"REG_EXPAND_SZ")
v=ws.RegRead(Path & "Favorites")
Set WSHShell = nothing

Path =
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp
lorer\Shell
Folders\"
set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
o=ws.RegWrite(Path & "Cookies", "H:\Favorites\Cookies",
"REG_EXPAND_SZ")
v=ws.RegRead(Path & "Cookies")
Set WSHShell = nothing

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Cookies-Roami...