WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OEM VERSION AND RETAIL?

Stupido

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
AFAIK: OEM version is attached to a given PC (hence OEM) and retail is not - you can move the installation to more than one PC provided that it runs on only one PC at the time. This is typically the case for people that build their own computers.

Functionally they are the same. It is just legal issue.

duffymoon

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
The software itself is the same - your rights are different. The main issue is support - you get it with the retail version, but its very limited with OEM. Most online retailers will have a link to explain the differences in more detail.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
What is the difference between the OEM, and the Retail version of Windows 7?

There are 3 major differences between these 2 items. The physical DVD disks themselves contain exactly the same content.

1. OEM copies of Windows 7 come in either 32, or 64 bit flavors. You must decide which version you want, and make sure you purchase that copy. With a retail copy, you get both 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 DVD’s in the same box.

2. OEM copies cannot be transferred from one PC to another. Once you install an OEM copy of Windows 7 on a PC it must remain with that PC forever, unless upgraded to a newer version of Windows in the future. Retail versions can be moved from PC to PC, but your retail copy of Windows 7 cannot be installed on more than one PC at any given time.

3. OEM copies do not come with any support from Microsoft. If you need to call Microsoft for support with Windows 7, you must pay a fee to do so. Retail copies come with a phone support incident included in the price.

The Prophecy! :hello:

dvarenhorst

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Area51reopened,

You mention, "Retail versions can be moved from PC to PC, but your retail copy of Windows 7 cannot be installed on more than one PC at any given time.", but I am curious to know how they (Microsoft) knows whether you are using one or more installs?

What happens if my hard drive crashes and is unretrievable and lets say I build another computer and try to install Windows 7 (retail full version) to that computer... Do I have to worry about anything when I do that or will it work perfectly as long as that original computer that the software was on is inactive (offline)?

The Motherboard has a Serial Number, Uncle Bill will know... He'll also know which CPU you install... and how much RAM... BUT if you should destroy your mobo and re-install Windows, when it comes to activation, at the discretion of a M'soft operator you may succeed with telephone activation... meanwhile you'll probably get away with increasing RAM and replacing CPU with a better one.

Craigh_1

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Hey Bud.

Sorry to ask a possibly already answered question. I killed my last Mac and got a new one a few days ago.
I have tried putting windows on it but I lost the Installation key.
I called microsoft and they told me that you can only use windows on one machine in total? Even if you have replaced it due to it falling over dead? Is it just that I called the wrong guy or have they changed the rules? I had Windows 8.1 which got upgraded to 10 in Dec. Thoughts?

Thanks

Alex_216

Commendable
May 28, 2016
The only component that Windows users are not allowed to change if using an OEM key, is the Motherboard. You are free to upgrade your Processor, Ram, GPU, and add additional Hard Disks and reinstall the OS, as long as you have the same Mobo across them. The only thing that is officially allowed by Microsoft is if your motherboard is ruined, is for you to switch out the broken mobo with an exact match replacement, meaning you're not upgrading even then.

If you've ever worked with a prebuilt PC with Windows pre-installed, then you know you're not getting anywhere, but with the OEM code you become your own manufacturer. This is why only an exact replacement of your motherboard is allowed to use the code, just not at the same time as another. Companies like HP and Dell will do a warranty replacement of your computer's motherboard, meaning they'll replace it with a brand new motherboard of the same model.

ca.iversen

Prominent
Sep 28, 2017

hello. im about to build a new gamer..
whats the best and cheapest way to get myself an new windows 10 pro ?
the original from microsoft is really expensive.
i think i have an OEM 10 pro on my previosly pc. that im gonna give my girlfriend.
microsoft told me i cant use this win10pro on the new build ?

i need a 100% working windows 10 pro,
last time i bought an cheap win10pro i gave almost nothing for it at kinguin website.
but there was some problems getting it activated. so microsoft activated it by the activate code (looong code)
can i have this previous win10pro on my new build aswell or do i need to buy a new one. ?

btw. i dont have a cd-key for the previous.
seens it was microsoft activated it.
and i sold the bought key back to kinguin again.
microsoft told me dont, buy from kinguin. they sell pre-used keys !

USAFRet

Titan

Read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html