Spellcasting troubles - HELP!!!

As if my sorceress was not depending enough on her familiar and
summonings(and Daelan) already, now she is to loose spells all over the line
just as soon as she casts ONE?!?!?!?
Tried the autosave...same deal. STARTING THE CHAPTER AGAIN...same bleeping
deal. What the Bleepity Bleep Bleep is going on???!???

And not to forget; how the heck do I fix it(no, it was not like this when I
started. Then it would've been completely impossible)?
Please tell me I won't have to go through more than half the game again. The
runthrough I did with the fighter was just about enough. Why I'm doing this
anyway? To know my way about as I write the last few chapters of Sartor's
tale at Gamejag.
I hope to be able to follow his tale through to the end(HotU(NWN2?) as I did
with the ol' pa(ok, so I didn't do the orignal. But aside from that), but if
it proves half as tiresome as this I believe this second tale to be known(as
it were) as 'the incomplete'...

Elfseeker wrote:
> As if my sorceress was not depending enough on her familiar and
> summonings(and Daelan) already, now she is to loose spells all over the line
> just as soon as she casts ONE?!?!?!?
> Tried the autosave...same deal. STARTING THE CHAPTER AGAIN...same bleeping
> deal. What the Bleepity Bleep Bleep is going on???!???
>
> And not to forget; how the heck do I fix it(no, it was not like this when I
> started. Then it would've been completely impossible)?
> Please tell me I won't have to go through more than half the game again. The
> runthrough I did with the fighter was just about enough. Why I'm doing this
> anyway? To know my way about as I write the last few chapters of Sartor's
> tale at Gamejag.
> I hope to be able to follow his tale through to the end(HotU(NWN2?) as I did
> with the ol' pa(ok, so I didn't do the orignal. But aside from that), but if
> it proves half as tiresome as this I believe this second tale to be known(as
> it were) as 'the incomplete'...

You're going to have to speak more clearly, unless someone else
understands what you are saying. What exactly is the problem you are facing?

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. "loose spells all over the line"
doesn't make much sense.

The only thing I can think of that could be described like that is the fact
that you can only cast a certain number of every level of spells per day. If
you can only cast, say, four level-three spells per day, then casting ANY
level-three spell takes away from that number. When you hit 0, you can no
longer cast ANY level four spells. It's part of being a sorcerer-type - it's
annoying sometimes, but it does spare you the in-deapth preperation issues
that a wizard gets.

I assure you, though, that if that's your problem, it's ALWAYS been like
that, from the very beginning. Perhaps you didn't notice because you didn't
have as many spells?

-[ Blayde ]-

mindseye wrote:

> I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. "loose spells all over the line"
> doesn't make much sense.
>
> The only thing I can think of that could be described like that is the fact
> that you can only cast a certain number of every level of spells per day. If
> you can only cast, say, four level-three spells per day, then casting ANY
> level-three spell takes away from that number. When you hit 0, you can no
> longer cast ANY level four spells. It's part of being a sorcerer-type - it's
> annoying sometimes, but it does spare you the in-deapth preperation issues
> that a wizard gets.
>
> I assure you, though, that if that's your problem, it's ALWAYS been like
> that, from the very beginning. Perhaps you didn't notice because you didn't
> have as many spells?
>
> -[ Blayde ]-

I agree, but maybe you should add, that RESTING could be helpful.
Playing a fighter one may not notice how important resting is as one can
rely on potions only...

[Jules]

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

> I agree, but maybe you should add, that RESTING could be helpful. Playing
> a fighter one may not notice how important resting is as one can rely on
> potions only...
>
> [Jules]

Ah, yes, the fine art of running back to somewhere safe and resting every so
often. You get pretty used to it, after a while, though...and the rest time
isn't horribly long.

-[ Blayde ]-

mindseye wrote:
>>I agree, but maybe you should add, that RESTING could be helpful. Playing
>>a fighter one may not notice how important resting is as one can rely on
>>potions only...
>>
>>[Jules]
>

> Ah, yes, the fine art of running back to somewhere safe and resting every so
> often. You get pretty used to it, after a while, though...and the rest time
> isn't horribly long.
>
> -[ Blayde ]-

I actually find that I can go quite a while without resting, even a
normal 'day' without having to relearn spells. I play a wizard, but I
find that by now (level 13) I have enough magic missiles and other stuff
to last me, along with Grimgnaw and my animal companions. Even early in
the game spells weren't a problem. For some reason, it was much more
annoying in Baldur's Gate.

> I actually find that I can go quite a while without resting, even a
> normal 'day' without having to relearn spells. I play a wizard, but I
> find that by now (level 13) I have enough magic missiles and other stuff
> to last me, along with Grimgnaw and my animal companions. Even early in
> the game spells weren't a problem. For some reason, it was much more
> annoying in Baldur's Gate.

The thing is, I used to be able to send off first my 'spheres, then my
f-balls. Now I loose one of each every time I cast one variant.
It did NOT use to be like that, as I said. Also, Stoneskin and the
invisibility has the same problem. They're on the same level, granted, but
why then did I use to be able to exhaust the one before even starting on the
other? If that was the flaw, how do I get it back?!?

Elfseeker wrote:
>>I actually find that I can go quite a while without resting, even a
>>normal 'day' without having to relearn spells. I play a wizard, but I
>>find that by now (level 13) I have enough magic missiles and other stuff
>>to last me, along with Grimgnaw and my animal companions. Even early in
>>the game spells weren't a problem. For some reason, it was much more
>>annoying in Baldur's Gate.
>

> The thing is, I used to be able to send off first my 'spheres, then my
> f-balls. Now I loose one of each every time I cast one variant.
> It did NOT use to be like that, as I said. Also, Stoneskin and the
> invisibility has the same problem. They're on the same level, granted, but
> why then did I use to be able to exhaust the one before even starting on the
> other? If that was the flaw, how do I get it back?!?

That is weird indeed. Are you sure the spells are lost? Did you have a
look into your spellbook checking whether the spells are really gone?
Try casting a spell while your spellbook is open.
I'm sure there must be a proper reason for the problem you described.

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

Fair enough. I can understand that completely, too - I can actually go quite
a while without resting, though I don't think my sorcerer is QUITE your
level. I can just get away with it because I stockpiled special bolts for a
chapter and a half. Heh. Half of them do more damage than I can do with some
of my spells anyway....and failing that, I have a henchwoman, a familiar,
and whatever summons I feel like summoning to do my work for me.

-[ Blayde ]-

> I actually find that I can go quite a while without resting, even a normal
> 'day' without having to relearn spells. I play a wizard, but I find that
> by now (level 13) I have enough magic missiles and other stuff to last me,
> along with Grimgnaw and my animal companions. Even early in the game
> spells weren't a problem. For some reason, it was much more annoying in
> Baldur's Gate.

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

Hate to break it to you, man, but if you're a sorcerer, it's ALWAYS been
like that. You're either just now noticing it, or the earlier spells you're
thinking of were on different levels, and now you've switched to using
spells that are on the SAME level.

-[ Blayde ]-

Elfseeker wrote:
>>I actually find that I can go quite a while without resting, even a
>>normal 'day' without having to relearn spells. I play a wizard, but I
>>find that by now (level 13) I have enough magic missiles and other stuff
>>to last me, along with Grimgnaw and my animal companions. Even early in
>>the game spells weren't a problem. For some reason, it was much more
>>annoying in Baldur's Gate.
>

> The thing is, I used to be able to send off first my 'spheres, then my
> f-balls. Now I loose one of each every time I cast one variant.
> It did NOT use to be like that, as I said. Also, Stoneskin and the
> invisibility has the same problem. They're on the same level, granted, but
> why then did I use to be able to exhaust the one before even starting on the
> other? If that was the flaw, how do I get it back?!?

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand what the problem is.

Elfseeker wrote:
> The thing is, I used to be able to send off first my 'spheres, then my
> f-balls. Now I loose one of each every time I cast one variant.
> It did NOT use to be like that, as I said. Also, Stoneskin and the
> invisibility has the same problem. They're on the same level, granted, but
> why then did I use to be able to exhaust the one before even starting on the
> other? If that was the flaw, how do I get it back?!?

If you're playing a sorceror, I assure you that it was always like that.
--
My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
"Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."

mindseye wrote:
> Fair enough. I can understand that completely, too - I can actually go quite
> a while without resting, though I don't think my sorcerer is QUITE your
> level. I can just get away with it because I stockpiled special bolts for a
> chapter and a half. Heh. Half of them do more damage than I can do with some
> of my spells anyway....and failing that, I have a henchwoman, a familiar,
> and whatever summons I feel like summoning to do my work for me.

Good point, I use a crossbow too (which doesn't exactly seem right for a
wizard, but oh well), so that helps too. Although Grimgnaw is amazingly
effective on his own. :)

Elfseeker wrote:

> The thing is, I used to be able to send off first my 'spheres, then my
> f-balls. Now I loose one of each every time I cast one variant.
> It did NOT use to be like that, as I said. Also, Stoneskin and the
> invisibility has the same problem. They're on the same level,
> granted, but why then did I use to be able to exhaust the one before
> even starting on the other? If that was the flaw, how do I get it
> back?!?

Maybe you become confused by the Quick Slots, but it's the way how sorcerers
work. Unlike wizards, where you decide which spell(s) you select from your
spellbook for memorizing and every spell is counted individually, a sorc
doesn't have such a selection. Example: A wizard has got 5 Level 1 spells,
from which the player tells him to memorize 4 Magic Missiles and 1 Summon
Creature. If he summons his pet and it gets killed, he can't summon another
one until next rest, but he still has the four Magic Missiles handy. The
sorc works different: If he has got 5 spells too, it's up to the player how
they are used. If he looses the creature, he can summon another one, but now
he has only 3 Missiles left, and so on.

HTH
Hans