Grainy picture w/ progressive scan dvd & component

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 2, 2004 3:14:14 AM

I recently purchased an RCA 40" HDTV (D40W20) along with a JVC
progressive scan DVD player (XV-N312S). I mainly use the television
for watching DVD movies, and I have been very disappointed so far -
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, if my expectations were too
high, or if my TV or DVD player is garbage..

Basically, any DVD movie that I watch looks grainy, has compression
artifacting and solid colours seem to be fuzzy and look like they're
'twitching' even when there's no movement. It looks as though I'm
watching satellite programming with a weak signal, and one of my
friends said the picture quality looks like cable. Movies tested were
The Thin Red Line, Donnie Darko, Matrix: Reloaded, Dark City, Sexy
Beast.. the movies appear to play fine on other HDTV systems. While
there is a little bit of fuzziness/distortion present, it's not as bad
as it is on mine. Any quick movements on the screen are very blurry
and distorted.. the moving figures become pixelated.

The DVD player is connected to the TV with 12' component video cables
from Radio Shack (15-8372N), and the DVD player is set to the default
480i output setting. Could there be another setting on either o the
devices that I may have overlooked?

I wasn't expecting a perfect picture or anything of the sort.. I knew
that line-doubling would be involved and that it would affect the
picture on the screen, but I never thought it would be this bad.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-RCA_Scenium_D40W20__Standard...
http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/product-detail.asp?model=...
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 8:54:33 AM

> I recently purchased an RCA 40" HDTV (D40W20) along with a JVC
> progressive scan DVD player (XV-N312S). I mainly use the television
> for watching DVD movies, and I have been very disappointed so far -
> I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, if my expectations were too
> high, or if my TV or DVD player is garbage..
>
> Basically, any DVD movie that I watch looks grainy, has compression
> artifacting and solid colours seem to be fuzzy and look like they're
> 'twitching' even when there's no movement. It looks as though I'm
> watching satellite programming with a weak signal, and one of my
> friends said the picture quality looks like cable. Movies tested were
> The Thin Red Line, Donnie Darko, Matrix: Reloaded, Dark City, Sexy
> Beast.. the movies appear to play fine on other HDTV systems. While
> there is a little bit of fuzziness/distortion present, it's not as bad
> as it is on mine. Any quick movements on the screen are very blurry
> and distorted.. the moving figures become pixelated.

I'd try the DVD player on another large TV. But many times people
will be a bit disappointed with larger sets in the beginning, because
they magnify any problem with the video.

> The DVD player is connected to the TV with 12' component video cables
> from Radio Shack (15-8372N), and the DVD player is set to the default
> 480i output setting. Could there be another setting on either o the
> devices that I may have overlooked?

If it has component out, it should also be progressive. Set it to
480P.
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 10:42:15 AM

vespers <forma85 @hotmail.com> wrote in

> I recently purchased an RCA 40" HDTV (D40W20) along with a JVC
> progressive scan DVD player (XV-N312S). I mainly use the television
> for watching DVD movies, and I have been very disappointed so far -
> I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, if my expectations were too
> high, or if my TV or DVD player is garbage..
>
> Basically, any DVD movie that I watch looks grainy, has compression
> artifacting and solid colours seem to be fuzzy and look like they're
> 'twitching' even when there's no movement. It looks as though I'm
> watching satellite programming with a weak signal, and one of my
> friends said the picture quality looks like cable. Movies tested were
> The Thin Red Line, Donnie Darko, Matrix: Reloaded, Dark City, Sexy
> Beast.. the movies appear to play fine on other HDTV systems. While
> there is a little bit of fuzziness/distortion present, it's not as bad
> as it is on mine. Any quick movements on the screen are very blurry
> and distorted.. the moving figures become pixelated.
>
> The DVD player is connected to the TV with 12' component video cables
> from Radio Shack (15-8372N), and the DVD player is set to the default
> 480i output setting. Could there be another setting on either o the
> devices that I may have overlooked?

Set the DVD player to 480p. If it's progressive scan, it will go there.
Also, you might want to consider a shorter, better cable. I was using a
scrappy old cable and got a good gold-plated on and made a noticeable
difference to the quality of 480p and 1080i sigs from my satellite box.

Another thing to be aware of is to set your DVD player to widescreen mode
and adjust the aspect ratio with the TV if it needs changing.

You might also check your DVD players menus to see if there is a Hi-res
setting that will give you a bit of a bandwidth boost over standard NTSC.
My cheap little Chinese DVD player isn't even progressive scan, but the
TV has a line-doubler built in and I get excellent video even from an S-
video port.

> I wasn't expecting a perfect picture or anything of the sort.. I knew
> that line-doubling would be involved and that it would affect the
> picture on the screen, but I never thought it would be this bad.

At least SOME of those artifacts are from setting the DVD to 480i. If
you can set it to 1080i, then use that, but I've only even ever seen ONE
of those on the market. But you should be able to set it to 480p and
that will help.

--
Dave Oldridge
ICQ 1800667

Paradoxically, most real events are highly improbable.
June 2, 2004 12:25:17 PM

On 2 Jun 2004 04:54:33 -0700, larrybud2002@yahoo.com (Larry Bud)
wrote:

>I'd try the DVD player on another large TV. But many times people
>will be a bit disappointed with larger sets in the beginning, because
>they magnify any problem with the video.

Thanks, I plan to try it on a bigger Panasonic 47" tv this weekend..
it's been a bit of a disappointing DVD player, it refused to play the
movie my friend brought over on Saturday (The Ring).

>> The DVD player is connected to the TV with 12' component video cables
>> from Radio Shack (15-8372N), and the DVD player is set to the default
>> 480i output setting. Could there be another setting on either o the
>> devices that I may have overlooked?
>
>If it has component out, it should also be progressive. Set it to
>480P.

I just tried that now and the picture is dramatically worse. Grainy
and static-y.. it's like watching analog cable on a badly spliced
cable.. might it be that progressive scanning is not on/working? I
can't find anything about it in the menus.
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 12:34:31 PM

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 06:42:15 GMT, Dave Oldridge
<doldridg@leavethisoutshaw.ca> wrote:

>Set the DVD player to 480p. If it's progressive scan, it will go there.
>Also, you might want to consider a shorter, better cable. I was using a
>scrappy old cable and got a good gold-plated on and made a noticeable
>difference to the quality of 480p and 1080i sigs from my satellite box.

Hi Dave, thanks for replying..

I've just tried that and the piture was much worse.. which led me to
ask another poster here is it meant that there was something with the
progressive scanning feature on my DVD player. I will have to look
into it. I'm going to borrow a few sets of cable from my friends and
see if there's anything different, thanks for the tip on that..

>Another thing to be aware of is to set your DVD player to widescreen mode
>and adjust the aspect ratio with the TV if it needs changing.
>
>You might also check your DVD players menus to see if there is a Hi-res
>setting that will give you a bit of a bandwidth boost over standard NTSC.
>My cheap little Chinese DVD player isn't even progressive scan, but the
>TV has a line-doubler built in and I get excellent video even from an S-
>video port.

Couldn't find anything right away, but I will have a closer look
later.. the only thing that looked even remotely close to what you're
talking about is a selection menu for video source, which has options
for Auto, Film, Video (Normal), and Video (Active). It is currently
set to film.

>> I wasn't expecting a perfect picture or anything of the sort.. I knew
>> that line-doubling would be involved and that it would affect the
>> picture on the screen, but I never thought it would be this bad.
>
>At least SOME of those artifacts are from setting the DVD to 480i. If
>you can set it to 1080i, then use that, but I've only even ever seen ONE
>of those on the market. But you should be able to set it to 480p and
>that will help.

Actually, I had a closer look while the movie was playing at 480p and
the picture does look better, if it weren't for the extreme
graininess.. the blurriness I was referring to before isn't all there
and the picture does seem to be a bit sharper.. but the graininess is
terrible.
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 1:16:07 PM

vespers wrote:
> I recently purchased an RCA 40" HDTV (D40W20) along with a JVC
> progressive scan DVD player (XV-N312S). I mainly use the television
> for watching DVD movies, and I have been very disappointed so far -
> I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, if my expectations were too
> high, or if my TV or DVD player is garbage..
>
> Basically, any DVD movie that I watch looks grainy, has compression
> artifacting and solid colours seem to be fuzzy and look like they're
> 'twitching' even when there's no movement. It looks as though I'm
> watching satellite programming with a weak signal, and one of my
> friends said the picture quality looks like cable. Movies tested were
> The Thin Red Line, Donnie Darko, Matrix: Reloaded, Dark City, Sexy
> Beast.. the movies appear to play fine on other HDTV systems. While
> there is a little bit of fuzziness/distortion present, it's not as bad
> as it is on mine. Any quick movements on the screen are very blurry
> and distorted.. the moving figures become pixelated.
>
> The DVD player is connected to the TV with 12' component video cables
> from Radio Shack (15-8372N), and the DVD player is set to the default
> 480i output setting. Could there be another setting on either o the
> devices that I may have overlooked?
>
> I wasn't expecting a perfect picture or anything of the sort.. I knew
> that line-doubling would be involved and that it would affect the
> picture on the screen, but I never thought it would be this bad.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-RCA_Scenium_D40W20__Standard...
> http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/product-detail.asp?model=...

Make sure your DVD player is set for 16:9 and not a 4:3 TV. At 4:3 the
player performs in-box letterboxing, which causes about a 25% reduction
in resolution and is not performed well on most DVD players (Sony is one
of the exceptions).

If the player supports progressive, and I'm guessing it does from your
post, set the player to 480p output and make sure the component cables
are plugged into the TV on a component IN that accepts 480p signals.

Avoid using any TV stretch modes.

You should see a great picture.

--
David G.
Anonymous

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:16:07 -0400, "David G."
<david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote:

>Make sure your DVD player is set for 16:9 and not a 4:3 TV. At 4:3 the
>player performs in-box letterboxing, which causes about a 25% reduction
>in resolution and is not performed well on most DVD players (Sony is one
>of the exceptions).

Hi David,

I'm pretty sure that it already is at the 16:9 setting, but I can
check again. I remember trying it at 4:3 and it looked pretty bad in
terms of quality. I think I'm also going to test my dad's Sony DVD
player on the player tonight as well..

>If the player supports progressive, and I'm guessing it does from your
>post, set the player to 480p output and make sure the component cables
>are plugged into the TV on a component IN that accepts 480p signals.
>
>Avoid using any TV stretch modes.
>
>You should see a great picture.

I'm going to do a bit of reading about my TV tonight.. I hope it's
just something related to the 480i/480p stuff and the screen mode
that's messed up..
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 8:45:42 PM

vespers wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:16:07 -0400, "David G."
> <david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote:
>
>> Make sure your DVD player is set for 16:9 and not a 4:3 TV. At 4:3
>> the player performs in-box letterboxing, which causes about a 25%
>> reduction in resolution and is not performed well on most DVD
>> players (Sony is one of the exceptions).
>
> Hi David,
>
> I'm pretty sure that it already is at the 16:9 setting, but I can
> check again. I remember trying it at 4:3 and it looked pretty bad in
> terms of quality. I think I'm also going to test my dad's Sony DVD
> player on the player tonight as well..
>
>> If the player supports progressive, and I'm guessing it does from
>> your post, set the player to 480p output and make sure the component
>> cables are plugged into the TV on a component IN that accepts 480p
>> signals.
>>
>> Avoid using any TV stretch modes.
>>
>> You should see a great picture.
>
> I'm going to do a bit of reading about my TV tonight.. I hope it's
> just something related to the 480i/480p stuff and the screen mode
> that's messed up..

Some players do not perform well when deinterlacing a signal. I've seen
posts claiming to see better results from sending a 480i signal to the
TV and having the TV deinterlace. In any case, most times you will see
better results having the DVD player do this. This is especially true on
some new players that upconvert the interlaced MPEG2 stream to native
720p or 1080i and send the signal to the TV over DVI. In that case, the
signal is digital all the way.

--
David G.
Anonymous

"Dave Oldridge" <doldridg@leavethisoutshaw.ca> wrote in message
> At least SOME of those artifacts are from setting the DVD to 480i. If
> you can set it to 1080i, then use that, but I've only even ever seen ONE
> of those on the market. But you should be able to set it to 480p and
> that will help.

Actually, a number of DVD players can now upconvert to 1080i. Most do so
only through the DVI output, but a few will also upconvert through the
component-video output, notably the Zenith DVB318. The latter is available
for as low as $160 shipped from Internet retailers. Here is a forum thread
on it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=...
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 4:17:53 AM

vespers <forma85 @hotmail.com> wrote (in part):

>it's been a bit of a disappointing DVD player, it refused to play the
>movie my friend brought over on Saturday (The Ring).

Probably just as well. You'd have been dead in a week. 8-)

E. Ogden <eoyymm@nycap.rr.com>
where yymm is the current year and month (spam that!)
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 5:08:58 PM

> >I'd try the DVD player on another large TV. But many times people
> >will be a bit disappointed with larger sets in the beginning, because
> >they magnify any problem with the video.
>
> Thanks, I plan to try it on a bigger Panasonic 47" tv this weekend..
> it's been a bit of a disappointing DVD player, it refused to play the
> movie my friend brought over on Saturday (The Ring).
>
> >> The DVD player is connected to the TV with 12' component video cables
> >> from Radio Shack (15-8372N), and the DVD player is set to the default
> >> 480i output setting. Could there be another setting on either o the
> >> devices that I may have overlooked?
> >
> >If it has component out, it should also be progressive. Set it to
> >480P.
>
> I just tried that now and the picture is dramatically worse. Grainy
> and static-y.. it's like watching analog cable on a badly spliced
> cable.. might it be that progressive scanning is not on/working? I
> can't find anything about it in the menus.

You need to borrow a different DVD player. Something definitely is
wrong. Does your TV have 2 component video inputs? Try another
input. You need to isolate which part of your system is broken.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 10:15:18 PM

"Lawrence G. Mayka" <lgmayka000@ameritech.net> wrote in

> "Dave Oldridge" <doldridg@leavethisoutshaw.ca> wrote in message
>> At least SOME of those artifacts are from setting the DVD to 480i.
>> If you can set it to 1080i, then use that, but I've only even ever
>> seen ONE of those on the market. But you should be able to set it to
>> 480p and that will help.
>
> Actually, a number of DVD players can now upconvert to 1080i. Most do
> so only through the DVI output, but a few will also upconvert through
> the component-video output, notably the Zenith DVB318. The latter is
> available for as low as $160 shipped from Internet retailers. Here is
> a forum thread on it:
>
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=...

Interesting, but I think I'm going to wait until someone comes out with e
DVD player that supports HDTV directly in a format that looks like
becoming popular and available in the video rental shops.

In the meantime, my cheap Chinese player is giving very good results with
the up-conversion being done by my TV.

--
Dave Oldridge
ICQ 1800667

Paradoxically, most real events are highly improbable.
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 3:06:11 AM

On 3 Jun 2004 13:08:58 -0700, larrybud2002@yahoo.com (Larry Bud)
wrote:

>> >I'd try the DVD player on another large TV. But many times people
>> >will be a bit disappointed with larger sets in the beginning, because
>> >they magnify any problem with the video.
>>
>> Thanks, I plan to try it on a bigger Panasonic 47" tv this weekend..
>> it's been a bit of a disappointing DVD player, it refused to play the
>> movie my friend brought over on Saturday (The Ring).

>> >If it has component out, it should also be progressive. Set it to
>> >480P.
>>
>> I just tried that now and the picture is dramatically worse. Grainy
>> and static-y.. it's like watching analog cable on a badly spliced
>> cable.. might it be that progressive scanning is not on/working? I
>> can't find anything about it in the menus.
>
>You need to borrow a different DVD player. Something definitely is
>wrong. Does your TV have 2 component video inputs? Try another
>input. You need to isolate which part of your system is broken.

I've tried the DVD player in both component video inputs with the same
results. However, I borrowed my dad's DVD player tonight - a Sony
DVP-NC625 that isn't even a progressive scan unit, and the picture
quality is fantastic (comparatively) on my TV. Even using s-video. A
bit of graininess, but none of the compression/artifacts/motion
blurring I was seeing with my JVC player.

I'm assuming that this JVC XV-N312S DVD player is a piece of GARBAGE.
Either that, or I just don't have it set up properly. Mind you, I read
in the manual that the player might "not have a natural picture on
non-JVC televisions". I guess that should have sealed the deal. I just
would never assumed that they would engineer the product to work so
poorly on other systems.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 2:52:55 AM

Well, I've ditched the JVC player and I got it replaced with a Sony
DVP-NS575P. The picture is quite good now. I can almost stand to watch
a movie. But the graininess issue is still there, I guess.

For example, the freeway scene in the dreaded "Matrix: Reloaded" has a
somewhat clear picture at 480i, although horizontal lines are quite
evident. but when running at 480p the washed-out green sky is
noticeably grainy, where it wasn't at 480i.

I've tried changing screen modes on the DVD player menu and on the TV
menu, but to no avail. The picture is still the same, so I'm assuming
it's either the lower-end Radio Shack component cables, the TV, or me
and my high expectations :)

I'm going to get the video cables switched out for some much shorter
platinum ones tomorrow, although I don't know if that will make much o
a differemce. I somehow doubt that Monster cables will be much better
than the best Radio Shack cables.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 16:45:42 -0400, "David G."
<david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote:

>Some players do not perform well when deinterlacing a signal. I've seen
>posts claiming to see better results from sending a 480i signal to the
>TV and having the TV deinterlace. In any case, most times you will see
>better results having the DVD player do this. This is especially true on
>some new players that upconvert the interlaced MPEG2 stream to native
>720p or 1080i and send the signal to the TV over DVI. In that case, the
>signal is digital all the way.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 5:11:43 AM

vespers wrote:
> Well, I've ditched the JVC player and I got it replaced with a Sony
> DVP-NS575P. The picture is quite good now. I can almost stand to watch
> a movie. But the graininess issue is still there, I guess.
>
> For example, the freeway scene in the dreaded "Matrix: Reloaded" has a
> somewhat clear picture at 480i, although horizontal lines are quite
> evident. but when running at 480p the washed-out green sky is
> noticeably grainy, where it wasn't at 480i.
>
> I've tried changing screen modes on the DVD player menu and on the TV
> menu, but to no avail. The picture is still the same, so I'm assuming
> it's either the lower-end Radio Shack component cables, the TV, or me
> and my high expectations :)
>
> I'm going to get the video cables switched out for some much shorter
> platinum ones tomorrow, although I don't know if that will make much o
> a differemce. I somehow doubt that Monster cables will be much better
> than the best Radio Shack cables.

I'm a little confused now, possibly because the thread is getting old:

What kind of HD capable set displays a 480i image in 480i? Isn't your
JCV TV deinterlacing the 480i DVD image to 480p when you view it? If so,
what horizontal lines are you seeing on the set when feeding it a 480i
signal?

How close are you sitting to the TV?

--
David G.
Anonymous

>Well, I've ditched the JVC player

What kind of set are you using? I saw a demo of JVC's new 16:9 tube running
with a JVC DVD player and there was a ton of grain and noise in the picture.
When they switched out the JVC player for a Denon unit, the noise was
corrected. I've owned several JVC products myself and never had a problem with
any of them, but a sales person at The Good Guys! told me that the JVC DVD
players have been somewhat hit-and-miss.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 10:40:20 AM

>Isn't your
>JCV TV deinterlacing the 480i DVD image to 480p when you view it?

So the original author is running a JVC set? I noticed a ton of grain and noise
on the JVC demo set at a local Good Guys! store but it seemed to go away (for
the most part) when they switched from a JVC DVD player to a Denon unit. I was
considering that TV but now that I know that the grain problem seems to be
typical of the set, I may avoid it. It's funny, I never had any such issue with
the JVC sets I've owned, but they were analog tube sets, and it's been 3 years
or so since I've owned one.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 2:49:07 PM

Steve Grauman wrote:
>> Isn't your
>> JCV TV deinterlacing the 480i DVD image to 480p when you view it?
>
> So the original author is running a JVC set? I noticed a ton of grain
> and noise on the JVC demo set at a local Good Guys! store but it
> seemed to go away (for the most part) when they switched from a JVC
> DVD player to a Denon unit. I was considering that TV but now that I
> know that the grain problem seems to be typical of the set, I may
> avoid it. It's funny, I never had any such issue with the JVC sets
> I've owned, but they were analog tube sets, and it's been 3 years or
> so since I've owned one.

No. It's an RCA. My mistake, but my comments still apply.

--
David G.
Anonymous

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 01:11:43 -0400, "David G."
<david_please_dont_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote:

>I'm a little confused now, possibly because the thread is getting old:
>
>What kind of HD capable set displays a 480i image in 480i? Isn't your
>JCV TV deinterlacing the 480i DVD image to 480p when you view it? If so,
>what horizontal lines are you seeing on the set when feeding it a 480i
>signal?
>
>How close are you sitting to the TV?

Hi David,

I apologize for the confusion.
I'm new to all of this stuff, so I'm not familiar with how it all
works.I just assumed that setting my DVD player to 480p would make the
picture much more clear than it is at 480i, or is this not always the
case? My picture is significantly worse, what with the grain and the
pixelated haze around the edges of objects on the screen.

I'm assuming that the HDTV will convert the 480i to something like
480p or something of the sort, but I was under the impression that
it's better to have the DVD player set at 480p to get a better
picture?

The lines I was seeing at 480i are just jagged edges, kind of like
looking at an overscaled JPG image. These jagged edges go away at
480p, but thats when the graininess and pixelation comes in.

I'm about 6 feet away from the TV - I'm in a rather small
condominium.

My equipment specs are:

RCA D40W20 HDTV
Sony DVP-NS575P progressive scan DVD plater
Radio Shack "Evolution II" component video cables.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 4:20:45 AM

My hd tv upconverts a 480i picture to 1080i very well. When I tried the
480p setting on my dvd recorder the picture didn't look as sharp and
infocus . I also noticed graininess and artifacts. I just use the
regular 480i setting. It just looked better in side by side testing.

--
MikeD-C05
Anonymous

> My hd tv upconverts a 480i picture to 1080i very well. When I tried the
> 480p setting on my dvd recorder the picture didn't look as sharp and
> infocus . I also noticed graininess and artifacts. I just use the
> regular 480i setting. It just looked better in side by side testing.

Are you using component cables, or just SVHS or composite?
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 3:13:56 PM

vespers <forma85 @hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2ssvb09pmtrqn4s46h0uji1t6lr56o7872@4ax.com>...

> >> Thanks, I plan to try it on a bigger Panasonic 47" tv this weekend..
> >> it's been a bit of a disappointing DVD player, it refused to play the
> >> movie my friend brought over on Saturday (The Ring).

> >> I just tried that now and the picture is dramatically worse. Grainy
> >> and static-y.. it's like watching analog cable on a badly spliced
> >> cable.. might it be that progressive scanning is not on/working? I
> >> can't find anything about it in the menus.
> >
> >You need to borrow a different DVD player. Something definitely is
> >wrong. Does your TV have 2 component video inputs? Try another
> >input. You need to isolate which part of your system is broken.
>
> I've tried the DVD player in both component video inputs with the same
> results. However, I borrowed my dad's DVD player tonight - a Sony
> DVP-NC625 that isn't even a progressive scan unit, and the picture
> quality is fantastic (comparatively) on my TV. Even using s-video. A
> bit of graininess, but none of the compression/artifacts/motion
> blurring I was seeing with my JVC player.

You still haven't isolated the critical part. You need another
progressive DVD player with component output for a fair comparison.
Could be something is wrong with your TV, and it's only noticable when
using component inputs.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 5:26:13 PM

On 16 Jun 2004 11:13:56 -0700, larrybud2002@yahoo.com (Larry Bud)
wrote:

>vespers <forma85 @hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2ssvb09pmtrqn4s46h0uji1t6lr56o7872@4ax.com>...
>> On 3 Jun 2004 13:08:58 -0700, larrybud2002@yahoo.com (Larry Bud)
>> wrote:
>>

>You still haven't isolated the critical part. You need another
>progressive DVD player with component output for a fair comparison.
>Could be something is wrong with your TV, and it's only noticable when
>using component inputs.

I've already gone through three progressive scan DVD players and I'm
about to try another one tomorrow. It seems as through the three
models I had before might have had the chroma bug problem, but I
haven't been able to find anything which definiteively identifies
these players as having the chroma bug. I'm going to borrow another
player tomorrow which apparently doesn't have this chroma bug problem.
It's a $40 Cyberhome progressive scan player, and if this looks better
than my $175 Sony I'm going to be quite surprised.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 5:52:56 PM

Larry Bud Wrote:
> > My hd tv upconverts a 480i picture to 1080i very well. When I tried
> the
> > 480p setting on my dvd recorder the picture didn't look as sharp and
> > infocus . I also noticed graininess and artifacts. I just use the
> > regular 480i setting. It just looked better in side by side
> testing.
>
> Are you using component cables, or just SVHS or composite?

Component cables with the dvd recorder.

--
MikeD-C05
Anonymous

"vespers" <forma85 @hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently purchased an RCA 40" HDTV (D40W20) along with a JVC
> progressive scan DVD player (XV-N312S). I mainly use the television
> for watching DVD movies, and I have been very disappointed so far -
> I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, if my expectations were too
> high, or if my TV or DVD player is garbage..
>
> Basically, any DVD movie that I watch looks grainy, has compression
> artifacting and solid colours seem to be fuzzy and look like they're
> 'twitching' even when there's no movement. It looks as though I'm
> watching satellite programming with a weak signal,

You might try it with S-Video output instead of component to see if there's
any improvement. But it might not support widescreen output properly. I
noticed something similar with component vs. S-video even on a conventional
TV, where component looked grainy compared to S-video.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 5:56:26 AM

"Matthew Vaughan" <matt-no-spam-109@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D N6Ac.17333$Fo4.224061@typhoon.sonic.net...

> "vespers" <forma85 @hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I recently purchased an RCA 40" HDTV (D40W20) along with a JVC
> > progressive scan DVD player (XV-N312S). I mainly use the television
> > for watching DVD movies, and I have been very disappointed so far -
> > I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, if my expectations were too
> > high, or if my TV or DVD player is garbage..
> >
> > Basically, any DVD movie that I watch looks grainy, has compression
> > artifacting and solid colours seem to be fuzzy and look like they're
> > 'twitching' even when there's no movement. It looks as though I'm
> > watching satellite programming with a weak signal,
>
> You might try it with S-Video output instead of component to see if
there's
> any improvement. But it might not support widescreen output properly. I
> noticed something similar with component vs. S-video even on a
conventional
> TV, where component looked grainy compared to S-video.

I should also note that I'm fully aware of the theory (and usual result)
that component has much greater bandwidth, usually has better quality, and
is required for HD signals, and thus that it SHOULD be superior to S-video.
But who knows what's going on in the electronics of any given TV or DVD
player.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 7:50:42 AM

>I had before might have had the chroma bug problem, but I
>haven't been able to find anything which definiteively identifies
>these players

Try home theater and HiFi's shootout
section:http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

I'd reccomend looking for a used Panasonic XP30 or Denon DVD-1600.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 4:41:34 PM

> >You still haven't isolated the critical part. You need another
> >progressive DVD player with component output for a fair comparison.
> >Could be something is wrong with your TV, and it's only noticable when
> >using component inputs.
>
> I've already gone through three progressive scan DVD players and I'm
> about to try another one tomorrow. It seems as through the three
> models I had before might have had the chroma bug problem, but I
> haven't been able to find anything which definiteively identifies
> these players as having the chroma bug.

Seems to me something is wrong with your TV if you've gone through 3
different players. Are you also using different cables?
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 12:55:17 AM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:56:26 GMT, "Matthew Vaughan"
<matt-no-spam-109@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I should also note that I'm fully aware of the theory (and usual result)
>that component has much greater bandwidth, usually has better quality, and
>is required for HD signals, and thus that it SHOULD be superior to S-video.
>But who knows what's going on in the electronics of any given TV or DVD
>player.

Thanks, looks like they were putting garbage in all the DVD players I
tried.. I just need to get one with the Faroudja chipset..
!