Windows 98 crashes Linksys router

sbullard

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I am working on a network with 2 windows XP computers and 2 Windows 98 computers. The computers connect to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. When just the 2 XP computers are connected (one wired, one wireles) there is no problem with the function of the router or the network. Shortly after connecting either or both of the Windows 98 computers to the router (within 25 minutes) the router suffers a major crash. All connections are lost and the router can't even be accessed by its 192.168.1.1 address with a browser. This happens even if just one Win 98 computer and no others are connected to the router. I have the latest version of the WRT54g router (ver 6) and have also upgraded the firmware to the latest version. When an older, wired only DLink router is used instead, all computers function fine together on the network. Suggestions, please.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Have you checked the Windows 98 computers for spyware and viruses? It sounds like one or both have a massive infection that is hosing your network. Have you tried unplugging these computers after the router "crashes" to see if it starts working again?

sbullard

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I have not dug into the Windows 98 machines for viruses and spyware. Didn't know that these things could crash a router. After unplugging the router for about 15 seconds and then plugging it back in again, it runs fine, until one of the Windows 98 machines is connected again. I will have to take a look for viruses and spyware.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Anything that generates tons of network traffic can cause a router to stop responding. You should see if the router starts working again after you disconnect the Windows 98 machines.