Sign in with
Your question

OCing new E6600 system; seems stable at 3.6 Ghz but...

Last response: in Systems
January 26, 2007 5:21:43 PM

Hello, I have a couple of questions.

System specs are in my sig, but I'm using an E6600, an eVGA 680i and a Thermaltake Big Typhoon. I'm currently running at:

Core speed of 3.60 Ghz (400 Mhz x 9)
Rated FSB of 1600 Mhz

My IDLE temps are:
CPU 38 C
Board 29 C
GPU/MCP 67 C

My LOAD temps (Orthos StressCPU with Gromacs core)
CPU 68 C
System 29 C
GPU/MCP 67 C

I have the following voltages set (I haven't adjusted them since I first set them):

vCore 1.45 V
CPU FSB 1.5 V
nForce SPP 1.50 V

I haven't touched the memory, but I have 2 Gb of Corsair XMS2 Twin2X with the activity lights. I swore this was 4-4-4-12 when I bought it, but CPU-Z says it's 5-5-5-18. Manufacturing date is Week 29/Year 06 so July last year. Apparently this is rated for 1.9 V.

#1. I'm afraid of my CPU temp (68 C) under the Orthos stress test. Is this too high? Should I maybe lower my overclock and also my voltage? I would like this computer to last :?

#2. Is it normal for the GPU temp (67 C) to increase when the vCore is raised?? This seems to have happened in my machine. I can't remember what it was before starting this, unfortunately.

#3. Can you point me in the right direction on memory OC? Or do you think the memory I have is crap and unworthy?
January 26, 2007 5:46:39 PM

Your memory is currently at just about DDR2-800 speed.. memory speed increases as you increase motherboard FSB. Overclocking the motherboard/CPU is also running the memory at a higher speed... unless youre on watercooling, the E6600 likely won't go much farther than 3.6GHz anyway..

I'd try to get more cooling on that MCP before even attempting to go any higher.
January 26, 2007 6:55:14 PM

I'm curious, what's your CPU cooler?
Related resources
January 26, 2007 8:03:25 PM

Quote:
I'd try to get more cooling on that MCP before even attempting to go any higher.

I edited the post to reflect what I've just done. I tried to lower the vCore, but the system got unstable (wouldn't do but 20 seconds of Orthos). Everything seems stable at these voltages, but the CPU temperature increases to 68-69 C under Orthos. Not sure if that's normal. The GPU temp stays at 67 the entire time.

I suppose I don't want to go any higher, but now I'm wondering if I should go a little lower?
January 26, 2007 8:07:33 PM

Quote:
I'm curious, what's your CPU cooler?

I'm using the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. They were out of stock on the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro AND the Zalman 9700 when I was ordering. I had to go with the TT... It wasn't until after that I found out about the Tuniq Tower. Regardless, I'm happy with this thing! It doesn't move around at all, but I wire-tied it to the case's chassis just to be safe. Even survived a trans-Atlantic flight. You should have seen the box I had the computer in when I was at the baggage claim. Those fools really trashed it. Must have been because I wrote FRAGILE in three languages.
January 26, 2007 8:10:54 PM

Quote:
#1. Is 69 C on the MCP normal or all right?

i_hate_flying, I assume your MCP temp of 69 C was the temp under Orthos load with the "tiny" MCP fan vertically attached to the coller? If this is the case, then there is nothing you can do about it (unless, of course, you'd replace the "tiny" fan with a good after-market NB cooler which I'm not sure whether you can find anything useful for this "special" NB cooler). I believe the 680i board (at least eVGA boards, don't know about others) tend to run scarily hot on the NB chip and that's exactly the reason why I'm OCing my eVGA 680i board only to 3.5GHz (with a C2D E6700 on Zalman CNPS9500 cooler) and not attempting to go higher, even though I'm sure it can go higher.

Quote:
I haven't touched the memory, but I have 2 Gb of Corsair XMS2 Twin2X with the activity lights. I swore this was 4-4-4-12 when I bought it, but CPU-Z says it's 5-5-5-18. Manufacturing date is Week 29/Year 06 so July last year. Apparently this is rated for 1.9 V.

I believe you have the Corsair XMS2 PRO series with some flashy LEDs on top of the memory. If CPU-Z says your memory is running at the timings 5-5-5-18 then it is probably right because every board will run the memory at the default timings predefined by the memory SPD (it's like a memory profile). Go to the CPU-Z SPD tab, you'll see your 5-5-5-18 again. If so, your memory setting in the BIOS is probably "By SPD". But don't worry, you can change to the correct timings of 4-4-4-12 in the BIOS any time.
January 26, 2007 8:23:57 PM

Quote:
...the "tiny" MCP fan vertically attached to the coller?
[/b]
So in the BIOS, MCP temp is different from the NVIDIA monitor's GPU1 temp? I've read that these boards can run hot. I'm also thinking about lightening up on the OC just to be safe, perhaps 3.5 Ghz like you. In my case there are two 120mm fans, another on the PSU, one on my TT Big Typhoon, and one on my 8800 GTX. The little fan that says NVIDIA on it is not attached to my mobo. I neglected that for some reason, I don't remember why. Should I attach it as you've described?

Quote:
I believe you have the Corsair XMS2 PRO series with some flashy LEDs on top of the memory. Go to the CPU-Z SPD tab, you'll see your 5-5-5-18 again. If so, your memory setting in the BIOS is probably "By SPD". But don't worry, you can change to the correct timings of 4-4-4-12 in the BIOS any time.

I will have to give that a look in the BIOS. The CPU-Z SPD tab says that the timings are 5-5-5-18 under the 400MHz frequency column, and 4-4-4-13 under the 270Mhz frequency column.

Onto my last question, is a CPU temp of 69 C under load (Orthos' StressCPU with Gromacs score) too high?
January 26, 2007 8:45:56 PM

Quote:
Nomans63 wrote:
I believe you have the Corsair XMS2 PRO series with some flashy LEDs on top of the memory. Go to the CPU-Z SPD tab, you'll see your 5-5-5-18 again. If so, your memory setting in the BIOS is probably "By SPD". But don't worry, you can change to the correct timings of 4-4-4-12 in the BIOS any time.

Nomans63 is correct. Your Corsair memory by default will run at 5-5-5-18 at JEDEC standard of 1.8 volts. To run at its rated 4-4-4-12 it needs to be running at 2.1 volts. Both can be changed in the bios.
January 27, 2007 5:15:46 AM

Thanks cookin.
Quote:

will have to give that a look in the BIOS. The CPU-Z SPD tab says that the timings are 5-5-5-18 under the 400MHz frequency column, and 4-4-4-13 under the 270Mhz frequency column

I believe memory SPD can have multiple "profile", each timing is for a specific speed (the machine I'm typing right now has 3, OCZ Platinum DDR2-6400, for 270 MHz, 333 MHz, and 400 MHz)
Quote:

The little fan that says NVIDIA on it is not attached to my mobo. I neglected that for some reason, I don't remember why. Should I attach it as you've described?

Yes, you do need the "tiny" fan to attach to the NB cooler. This could be a little tricky, though. You have to use 2 really really tiny screws that come with it to tight the fan to the NB base while keeping the fan vertically attached to the cooler grill. However, I'm not sure how much it would bring your temp down from 69 C. Your case has some good fans, I think it will help to lower at least 4-5 C, I hope.
Quote:

Onto my last question, is a CPU temp of 69 C under load (Orthos' StressCPU with Gromacs score) too high?

I believe, it is. Your idle temp is 38 C, 68/69 C under load. That's 30 C difference. I think it's too much. According to Wusy OC guide (sort of sticky in this forum), the temp difference between idle and full load should not be more than 15 C. You got to do something about this.

Don't worry about GPU temps for now. They are usually much higher than CPU. Let's get your CPU temp a little bit lower, then take care of the GPU temp with some after market GPU cooler. I'm not sure you'd be ready to do that for your 8800 GTX. Man, that's an expensive piece of hardware, eh? Has it burned a hole in your pant yet? Mine has. I have an XFX 8800 GTX and I love it soo much that I'm afraid to run it (just kidding!). Unbelievable powerful too.
January 27, 2007 8:50:45 AM

I changed my memory timings and voltage to 4-4-4-12 and 2.1 V. Everything seems stable. What performance difference does this make? What advantage is gained by having lower timings? What can I do with it now?

I started over on the OC. The ambient temperature around my PC (when it's off) is 21 C. At the default settings, my baseline temperatures are as follows:
IDLE: 32 / 28 / 66 LOAD: 44 / 28 / 66 (CPU / board / GPU)

One of the problems was that my voltage was set to AUTO. I thought it was default, so I thought I had a processor from a crappy batch that got too hot with mild OCing (I was getting CPU temps of 65 at 3 GHz). I changed the voltages to what I think are their defaults: vCore 1.2313 V, CPU FSB 1.2 V, nForce SPP 1.35 V and started over.

At 3.2 GHz (FSB 1423) at these default voltages, I have the following temps:

IDLE: 32 / 29 / 67 LOAD: 47 / 29 / 67

Again, for LOAD I'm using Orthos' Stress CPU with Gromacs core.

As you clued me in on earlier, I should be looking at a maximum of a 15 C jump in temperature between idle and load. This seems to be it. As for the GPU, that number really doesn't change now whether I'm idling or running Orthos. I should try running something intensive like Oblivion to test it. I'll try it with Half-Life 2 Episode One since that's already installed.

I know how you feel about this 8800 GTX! It might be a monster, but it needs TLC...
January 27, 2007 11:16:43 AM

Great news! I installed that little nForce fan with the bloody small screws. It didn't take as long as I thought it would fortunately, only a few minutes of surgery. Now my temps are 30 / 28 / 62 idling. I ran Orthos for a while to see if my CPU temp is actually lower under load. It's 2 C lower idling and whilst under load. The GPU temp is between 61 and 63, and I suppose that depends on how warmed up my system is.

Another question: In the NVIDIA MonitorView, it shows a number of voltages. The HT (SPP-MCP) voltage is 1.45 and is shown in red. Is this something I should change? Or just leave it alone? It's the only one shown in red. The memory is now shown in yellow since I upped the voltage to 2.1. The PCI-E is also shown in yellow at 1.35 V.
January 29, 2007 6:41:17 PM

Nice link, interesting info for me to read. Thank you.
!