Internet Explorer 6 and Temporary Internet Files

According to Q316116, there is a hotfix available from Microsoft that will
fix a bug so that I can set the option to delete temp internet files when a
user closes IE.

According to MS, they direct me to a page where I have to pay $35.00 for
email or chat support before I can get the q316116.exe hotfix.

Is this for real? Why should anyone have to pay for a hotfix?

Can someone please explain to me why it is this way?

Randy Haley

It also says to install SP1 for IE as a fix which may be something to
consider. --- Steve

"Randy Haley" <RandyHaley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> According to Q316116, there is a hotfix available from Microsoft that will
> fix a bug so that I can set the option to delete temp internet files when
> user closes IE.
>
> According to MS, they direct me to a page where I have to pay $35.00 for
> email or chat support before I can get the q316116.exe hotfix.
>
> Is this for real? Why should anyone have to pay for a hotfix?
>
> Can someone please explain to me why it is this way?
>
> Randy Haley

I'm experiencing the same problem and I have IE6 (6.0.2800.1106) with
SP1 & Q823353 on a Windows 2000 server. I trying to manage the GPO for
Internet Explorer.

Do I have to purchase the Q316116.exe hotfix?

Since it is known problem, shouldn't this be available for download?
If someone has it, can they email it to me?

Thank in advance for the help.

Michael H.

"hawesmm" wrote:
> I'm experiencing the same problem and I have IE6
> (6.0.2800.1106) with
> SP1 & Q823353 on a Windows 2000 server. I trying to manage
> the GPO for
> Internet Explorer.
>
> Do I have to purchase the Q316116.exe hotfix?
>
> Since it is known problem, shouldn't this be available for
> download?
> If someone has it, can they email it to me?
>
> Thank in advance for the help.
>
> Michael H.

Hi,

Microsoft doesn’t charge for hotfixes. I always have called their
number and they haven’t charged me and emailed me the hotfix. However,
make sure that it is what you need. I have windows 2000 servers and
have never had a problem managing IE 5 or 6.

I am wondering if you have updated your ADM’s? You can download
Microsoft’s most current ADM’s (admin templates)

According to the article Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Setup updates the
dll files but does not update the .adm files so if you have SP1 your
Dll’s are correct and you can just download the adm’s or get them off
any XP Pro machine in the C:\Windows\inf directory (hidden)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92759d4b-7112-4b6c-ad4a-bbf3802a5c9b&displaylang=en

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Internet-Explorer-Temporary-Internet-Files-ftopict268182.html