Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Compaq EVO N1020V - Overclocking or New Processor?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Compaq
  • Processors
  • Evo
Last response: in CPUs
January 26, 2007 6:00:43 PM

Hello!

Is it possible to overclock a COMPAQ EVO n1020V? I have a P4 2.4GHz.

Or is it possible to upgrade the processor? If yes, what is the fastest processor available for it?

Thanks so much,
Mathias

More about : compaq evo n1020v overclocking processor

January 26, 2007 6:04:52 PM

Quote:
Hello!

Is it possible to overclock a COMPAQ EVO n1020V? I have a P4 2.4GHz.

Or is it possible to upgrade the processor? If yes, what is the fastest processor available for it?

Thanks so much,
Mathias


This is a desktop, right? It is possible to replace the CPU, but to overclock you would need a new motherboard. Depending on the type of case this thing is in and whether it's a custom-size (i.e., not standard ATX sizes) you might need a new case / PSU, too.

Not really worth it for such old hardware, my friend. Go to www.cpuid.com and download CPU-Z, extract it and run the .exe and tell us the specifics of your processor (what core, what the FSB is, go to the motherboard tab and tell us what the chipset is).
January 26, 2007 6:10:35 PM

It is a NOTEBOOK!

This is what I got from CPU-Z:


Processor(s)

Number of processors 1
Number of cores 1 per processor
Number of threads 1 (max 1) per processor
Name Intel Pentium 4
Code Name Northwood
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Package Socket 478 mPGA
Family/Model/Stepping F.2.7
Extended Family/Model F.2
Brand ID 9
Core Stepping C1
Technology 0.13 um
Core Speed 2388.3 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 24.0 x 99.5 MHz
Rated Bus speed 398.1 MHz
Stock frequency 2400 MHz
Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
L1 Data cache 8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache 512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Chipset & Memory

Northbridge ATI RS200/RS200M rev. 02
Southbridge ALI M1533 rev. 00
Memory Type
Memory Size 512 MBytes

System

System Manufacturer Compaq
System Name Evo N1020v
System S/N 9X34LDLZC31P
Mainboard Vendor Compaq
Mainboard Model 0818h
BIOS Vendor Phoenix
BIOS Version 0F08
BIOS Date 02/11/2003

Memory SPD

Module 1 DDR, PC2100 (133 MHz), 256 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics
Module 2 DDR, PC2100 (133 MHz), 256 MBytes, unknown brand

Software

Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version 9.0c
Related resources
January 26, 2007 6:12:54 PM

Quote:
It is a NOTEBOOK!

This is what I got from CPU-Z:


Processor(s)

Number of processors 1
Number of cores 1 per processor
Number of threads 1 (max 1) per processor
Name Intel Pentium 4
Code Name Northwood
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Package Socket 478 mPGA
Family/Model/Stepping F.2.7
Extended Family/Model F.2
Brand ID 9
Core Stepping C1
Technology 0.13 um
Core Speed 2388.3 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 24.0 x 99.5 MHz
Rated Bus speed 398.1 MHz
Stock frequency 2400 MHz
Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2
L1 Data cache 8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache 512 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Chipset & Memory

Northbridge ATI RS200/RS200M rev. 02
Southbridge ALI M1533 rev. 00
Memory Type
Memory Size 512 MBytes

System

System Manufacturer Compaq
System Name Evo N1020v
System S/N 9X34LDLZC31P
Mainboard Vendor Compaq
Mainboard Model 0818h
BIOS Vendor Phoenix
BIOS Version 0F08
BIOS Date 02/11/2003

Memory SPD

Module 1 DDR, PC2100 (133 MHz), 256 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics
Module 2 DDR, PC2100 (133 MHz), 256 MBytes, unknown brand

Software

Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version 9.0c


Nope, you won't be able to overclock it. Notebooks don't really come with overclocking options with the exception of some extreme high-end gaming models. You do have a decent Northwood P4, though.
January 26, 2007 6:16:26 PM

Thanks a lot SIR!

Is there anything I could possibly do to make it faster? The memory seems pretty slow (133MHz). Can anything be done??


Thanks again!

Mathias
January 26, 2007 6:19:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot SIR!

Is there anything I could possibly do to make it faster? The memory seems pretty slow (133MHz). Can anything be done??


Thanks again!

Mathias


First find out if your chipset will support PC2700 or PC3200 and how much it will support. Best case scenario, it will support up to 1GB of DDR400 (PC3200) and get two 512MB sticks of it will boost your performance quite noticeably.
January 26, 2007 6:21:59 PM

Thank you!!!

One last question: Is it possible to get a new processor (let us say a 3 GHz)?


Thanks!
January 26, 2007 6:31:09 PM

Quote:
Thank you!!!

One last question: Is it possible to get a new processor (let us say a 3 GHz)?


Thanks!


Well...yes, theoretically. Your notebook is sorta old so I doubt it even has a warranty left to void, but in case it does, upgrading the processor would void it (but upgrading RAM won't). In some notebooks it can be a pretty involved process involving taking most of the notebook apart. Also, faster processors also generate more heat and use more energy. If you do upgrade, and please tell me you're going to do it because playing with computers is a hobby for you and you have money to burn, make sure it is a likewise similar Northwood core P4 with the 800Mhz FSB (I am sure the 533Mhz FSB models would work fine, too, but with slightly less performance). Notebook chipsets, especially non-Intel ones, can be finicky with what processors are placed in them.
January 26, 2007 6:42:42 PM

Quote:
Thank you!!!

One last question: Is it possible to get a new processor (let us say a 3 GHz)?


Thanks!


No Dont do it!!! Do not put prescott in a notebook. It's not worth puting a nuclear reactor in your notebook. If you upgrade it you would most likely cause a meltdown. OMG evacuate!!! 8O
January 26, 2007 6:52:50 PM

Perfect! Thanks a lot!

This is my work notebook.

I will probably buy a new one then. Any suggestions? Fast and portable please!

Thanks!
January 26, 2007 6:58:51 PM

If you want a fast and portable notebook i'd reccomend the Aspire 5630.
Stats:
Core 2 duo T5500
2gb ddr2 dual-channel
15.4" WXGA
256mb Nvidia 7300 (Great for movies and it plays WoW)
160Gb HDD
DVD-dual layer burner.
Intel Pro Wirless 802.11a/b/g
8 cell lithium ion battery (I get about 3hours 45 mins max.)

This is a great notebook for multitasking and video encoding. Mine doesnt break a sweat encoding video. This Notebook stays relatively cool.
January 26, 2007 7:01:24 PM

THANK YOU!

Does it make a big difference between Core Duo T5000 and T7000 processors?

Thanks!
January 26, 2007 7:09:08 PM

well the 7000's have 4mb cache wich could do you better if you are doing alot of video encoding, but they are pretty pricy, and notebook venders tend to overprice upgrades by a large margin.

the 5000's will do fine for everything and consume less power, create less heat, adding to the portability and duration of your battery life for your notebook. :D 
January 26, 2007 7:11:06 PM

Perfect!

Thanks!

THANKS A LOT!!!!
January 26, 2007 7:21:45 PM

No problem man im here to help people. :D 
January 26, 2007 7:52:13 PM

I am trying to find out if my NOTEBOOK is compatible with PC3200 memories and I don't know where to look for. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mathias
January 26, 2007 8:01:50 PM

Quote:
No problem man I'm here to help people. :D 

Are you even allowed to say this? I've been around and help a few dozen people in computer issues and about 2-3 builds so far and i've never felt that I'm allowed to say or am yet experienced or established enough to confidently say: "I'm here to help people". as confidently said you it with only a sub 100 Post count.
January 26, 2007 8:07:00 PM

Sry man i cant find anything about your northbridge. the difference between yours and pc3200 might not be noticable. but if you upgrade to 1gb of ram you could notice a increase in performance.

if the laptop i posted is to costly then tell me your budget and ill look up something cheaper.
January 26, 2007 8:14:59 PM

Compaq does not allow for overclocking in their bios.I doubt if you could even upgrade the cpu.I suggest purchasing a new system and bringing yourself up to date.Preferably you build it as you'll know exactly what's in it and you'll know better how to fix any problems that arise.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE (soon 2b crucial balistix ddr500)
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
January 26, 2007 8:26:45 PM

Quote:
If you do upgrade, and please tell me you're going to do it because playing with computers is a hobby for you and you have money to burn, make sure it is a likewise similar Northwood core P4 with the 800Mhz FSB (I am sure the 533Mhz FSB models would work fine, too, but with slightly less performance).


I on the other hand, do have a desktop P4 2.4ghz with a 533 fsb... I would LOVE to overclock it, however, that would require a new motherboard with a new copy of Windows, ocing ram, and a new case since it is all in a dell 4550 right now.....

It would be a pretty cool project, anyone up for donations? 8O :?: :!:
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2007 9:35:34 PM

Note that the processor is a Northwood A, 100MHz FSB, quadpumped to 400.

So it really only requires PC1600 DDR. DDR400 will basically wasted here.

And you probably can't use a faster proc as I think anything above 2.4GHz would be Northwood B, which is 533MHz FSB right? I doubt the mobo supports 533 unless there were higher models that had it.

And lastly, if you are buying a new work notebook, you should be looking at business line notebooks from IBM(Thinkpad), Dell(Lattitude), Toshiba(Tecra), and HP(??? do they still call it omnibook?).

Don't look at consumer oriented lines from Acer, Sony, Dell Inspiron, and Toshiba Satellite.

For work, as in making money, reliability and uptime is key, pay more for a good warranty than a good video card.
January 26, 2007 9:50:25 PM

Quote:
And you probably can't use a faster proc as I think anything above 2.4GHz would be Northwood B, which is 533MHz FSB right? I doubt the mobo supports 533 unless there were higher models that had it.


I do have the 2.4ghzB processor with 533 fsb and it is a northwood.

In order to do more with this notebook, we need motherboard/chipset specs.

I will go look......

Update: I cannot find information on the chipset, but I have found that it is capable of using 1 gb of memory running at pc2100 only
Suggest the use of cpu-z to determine the motherboard specs if possible...
January 26, 2007 11:34:35 PM

Quote:
If you do upgrade, and please tell me you're going to do it because playing with computers is a hobby for you and you have money to burn, make sure it is a likewise similar Northwood core P4 with the 800Mhz FSB (I am sure the 533Mhz FSB models would work fine, too, but with slightly less performance).


I on the other hand, do have a desktop P4 2.4ghz with a 533 fsb... I would LOVE to overclock it, however, that would require a new motherboard with a new copy of Windows, ocing ram, and a new case since it is all in a dell 4550 right now.....

It would be a pretty cool project, anyone up for donations? 8O :?: :!:

Just a new mobo / case / PSU, like I explained for the OP. The copy of Windows...might survive the transition to a new MB if it uses the same / similar chipset. Will probaby / definitely need to re-activate. Then again, if you keep all the same components, that's just one hardware change.