Ant

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

Hello.

I was asked on how to make digital signatures in documents, letters,
e-mails, etc. I have never done this before nor know where to start. I
have seen them used in a few PDF forms before.

My biggest concern is: How safe is this online the Internet through
e-mails, Web, etc.? With security, there is always ways to break it. Is
it easy to hack and foil?

My next set of questions: How does one get started? The person uses
Office 2000-2003 in Windows 98, 2000, and XP Media Center (all OS' have
the latest updates). Does Windows XP comes with something already? Is a
pen tablet required? Outlook Express and Webmails are used for e-mails.
IE6.0 SP1 and Mozilla v1.7.5 are the Web browsers.

If this is the wrong place to ask, then which newsgroup(s)/forum(s)
would be good to ask? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"It's them!... Not THEM, the giant ants?!" --Girl and Crow
/\___/\
| |o o| | E-mail (nuke ANT if replying privately to a newsgroup
\ _ / post): philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
( )

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:40:50 -0800, Ant wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I was asked on how to make digital signatures in documents, letters,
> e-mails, etc. I have never done this before nor know where to start. I
> have seen them used in a few PDF forms before.

Are you talking about handwritten signatures or the digital signatures
(http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci211953,00.html)?

Tablet PCs have helped to make handwritten signatures in digital documents
a more common occurrence. Several companies have programs designed for
capturing signatures and preserving contracts. There are laws to consider.
Not all states and countries accept these as binding. And if they do, the
requirements can vary.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On 2/15/2005 9:24 PM PT, Sharon F wrote:

>>Hello.
>>
>>I was asked on how to make digital signatures in documents, letters,
>>e-mails, etc. I have never done this before nor know where to start. I
>>have seen them used in a few PDF forms before.
>
> Are you talking about handwritten signatures or the digital signatures
> (http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci211953,00.html)?

Handwritten signatures like signing paperworks. Not certificate types.

> Tablet PCs have helped to make handwritten signatures in digital documents
> a more common occurrence. Several companies have programs designed for
> capturing signatures and preserving contracts. There are laws to consider.
> Not all states and countries accept these as binding. And if they do, the
> requirements can vary.

What does the client need for this set up and work? I assume Tablet PCs
are not required. Can it be done with a mouse, scanner, etc.? How
difficult is it to do? It is in CA, USA.
--
"Did the ant fall off the toilet seat because she was pissed off?" --unknown
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail (nuke ANT if replying privately to a newsgroup
\ _ / post): philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
( )
Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: Daddy DJ - Daddy DJ

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:43:36 -0800, Ant wrote:

> What does the client need for this set up and work? I assume Tablet PCs
> are not required. Can it be done with a mouse, scanner, etc.? How
> difficult is it to do? It is in CA, USA.

Input varies: Pen with a tablet PC or a computer that has a graphics tablet
attached to it. Mouse - but these are very hard to write with. Logitech's
io digital pens look like a regular fountain pen but digitally record the
movement. They also have "smart paper."

Here's a link to a company that has several different signature
applications with different levels of security and authentication
http://www.signplus.com/en/products/

If you are seriously considering this for your business or for your
clients, you should check the laws for the geographical areas where
business is conducted and any industry requirements. Local government
offices should have the information available. Another source of info would
be professional associations - a resource group for realtors, for example.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

You can scan a handwritten signature to a graphic, and, inserted in Word,
save it as an autotext entry for ease of insertion as required.
Security? *Any* time you write down your signature anyone who has access to
it can copy it in this manner. The only secure solution is never to sign
anything. Forgers have been able to duplicate signatures since people first
started using them.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Ant wrote:
> On 2/15/2005 9:24 PM PT, Sharon F wrote:
>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I was asked on how to make digital signatures in documents, letters,
>>> e-mails, etc. I have never done this before nor know where to
>>> start. I
>>> have seen them used in a few PDF forms before.
>>
>> Are you talking about handwritten signatures or the digital
>> signatures

(http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci211953,00.html
)?

> Handwritten signatures like signing paperworks. Not certificate types.
>

>> Tablet PCs have helped to make handwritten signatures in digital
>> documents
>> a more common occurrence. Several companies have programs designed
>> for capturing signatures and preserving contracts. There are laws to
>> consider. Not all states and countries accept these as binding. And
>> if they do, the requirements can vary.
>
> What does the client need for this set up and work? I assume Tablet
> PCs
> are not required. Can it be done with a mouse, scanner, etc.? How
> difficult is it to do? It is in CA, USA.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare