Digitalized signature on the Internet?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

Hello.

I was asked on how to make digital signatures in documents, letters,
e-mails, etc. I have never done this before nor know where to start. I
have seen them used in a few PDF forms before.

My biggest concern is: How safe is this online the Internet through
e-mails, Web, etc.? With security, there is always ways to break it. Is
it easy to hack and foil?

My next set of questions: How does one get started? The person uses
Office 2000-2003 in Windows 98, 2000, and XP Media Center (all OS' have
the latest updates). Does Windows XP comes with something already? Is a
pen tablet required? Outlook Express and Webmails are used for e-mails.
IE6.0 SP1 and Mozilla v1.7.5 are the Web browsers.

If this is the wrong place to ask, then which newsgroup(s)/forum(s)
would be good to ask? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"It's them!... Not THEM, the giant ants?!" --Girl and Crow
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail (nuke ANT if replying privately to a newsgroup
\ _ / post): philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
( )
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on his home computer.
5 answers Last reply
More about digitalized signature internet
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:40:50 -0800, Ant wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I was asked on how to make digital signatures in documents, letters,
    > e-mails, etc. I have never done this before nor know where to start. I
    > have seen them used in a few PDF forms before.

    Are you talking about handwritten signatures or the digital signatures
    (http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci211953,00.html)?

    Tablet PCs have helped to make handwritten signatures in digital documents
    a more common occurrence. Several companies have programs designed for
    capturing signatures and preserving contracts. There are laws to consider.
    Not all states and countries accept these as binding. And if they do, the
    requirements can vary.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

    On 2/15/2005 9:24 PM PT, Sharon F wrote:

    >>Hello.
    >>
    >>I was asked on how to make digital signatures in documents, letters,
    >>e-mails, etc. I have never done this before nor know where to start. I
    >>have seen them used in a few PDF forms before.
    >
    > Are you talking about handwritten signatures or the digital signatures
    > (http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci211953,00.html)?

    Handwritten signatures like signing paperworks. Not certificate types.


    > Tablet PCs have helped to make handwritten signatures in digital documents
    > a more common occurrence. Several companies have programs designed for
    > capturing signatures and preserving contracts. There are laws to consider.
    > Not all states and countries accept these as binding. And if they do, the
    > requirements can vary.

    What does the client need for this set up and work? I assume Tablet PCs
    are not required. Can it be done with a mouse, scanner, etc.? How
    difficult is it to do? It is in CA, USA.
    --
    "Did the ant fall off the toilet seat because she was pissed off?" --unknown
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
    | |o o| | E-mail (nuke ANT if replying privately to a newsgroup
    \ _ / post): philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    ( )
    Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: Daddy DJ - Daddy DJ
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:43:36 -0800, Ant wrote:

    > What does the client need for this set up and work? I assume Tablet PCs
    > are not required. Can it be done with a mouse, scanner, etc.? How
    > difficult is it to do? It is in CA, USA.

    Input varies: Pen with a tablet PC or a computer that has a graphics tablet
    attached to it. Mouse - but these are very hard to write with. Logitech's
    io digital pens look like a regular fountain pen but digitally record the
    movement. They also have "smart paper."

    Here's a link to a company that has several different signature
    applications with different levels of security and authentication
    http://www.signplus.com/en/products/

    If you are seriously considering this for your business or for your
    clients, you should check the laws for the geographical areas where
    business is conducted and any industry requirements. Local government
    offices should have the information available. Another source of info would
    be professional associations - a resource group for realtors, for example.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.word.newusers (More info?)

    You can scan a handwritten signature to a graphic, and, inserted in Word,
    save it as an autotext entry for ease of insertion as required.
    Security? *Any* time you write down your signature anyone who has access to
    it can copy it in this manner. The only secure solution is never to sign
    anything. Forgers have been able to duplicate signatures since people first
    started using them.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>


    Ant wrote:
    > On 2/15/2005 9:24 PM PT, Sharon F wrote:
    >
    >>> Hello.
    >>>
    >>> I was asked on how to make digital signatures in documents, letters,
    >>> e-mails, etc. I have never done this before nor know where to
    >>> start. I
    >>> have seen them used in a few PDF forms before.
    >>
    >> Are you talking about handwritten signatures or the digital
    >> signatures
    >>
    (http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci211953,00.html
    )?
    >
    > Handwritten signatures like signing paperworks. Not certificate types.
    >
    >
    >> Tablet PCs have helped to make handwritten signatures in digital
    >> documents
    >> a more common occurrence. Several companies have programs designed
    >> for capturing signatures and preserving contracts. There are laws to
    >> consider. Not all states and countries accept these as binding. And
    >> if they do, the requirements can vary.
    >
    > What does the client need for this set up and work? I assume Tablet
    > PCs
    > are not required. Can it be done with a mouse, scanner, etc.? How
    > difficult is it to do? It is in CA, USA.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Salut/Hi Ant,

    First of all, forgive me for removing the 3 remaining cross posts. I
    can't easily cross post replies.

    My answer is slightly sideways, as you've already had excellent
    advice on scanning signatures and using them.

    le/on Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:40:50 -0800, tu disais/you said:-

    >My biggest concern is: How safe is this online the Internet through
    >e-mails, Web, etc.? With security, there is always ways to break it.
    >Is it easy to hack and foil?

    Almost anything can be forged. With scanners and computers, it's
    trivial.

    However, by thinking laterally, you can see that there's a "computer
    age" answer. The signature is designed to show that the message
    really IS from the person, right? Well there is a safe way to do
    this. Use a progream such as PGP (there's a free version). You can
    then distribute your digital signature, to servers world wide, and
    then can "digitally sign" any document you send. The recipient can
    verify the document as being genuinely from you. The verification
    process also confirms that the document is has not been altered in
    any way after being signed.

    PGP will do many other things, but digital signing is a "good thing".

    It comes out as shown here.

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: PGP 8.1 - not licensed for commercial use: www.pgp.com

    iQA/AwUBQhMaSPnNJmlQ4205EQK3XACggcRjJozY2rzoU5aJ+uQKp1hBjYUAoJ9I
    5R+MCQq82slJ/UacQmJ7Qg7a
    =GcV7
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare
    http://www.souvigne.com
    mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website
Ask a new question

Read More

Microsoft Internet Windows XP