Assigning Software to users does not work.

HELP!

I am trying to install software when users logon, the package is assigned
and set to install at user logon.
I have a Windows 2003 domain with mostly windows 2000 Pro workstations.

When a user logs on I get the 'installing managed software' message but this
only last a second or two. When I then goto add/remove programs I can see the
application but it has no size and i only have the option to remove it.

There are no files installed and file association is not created. i.e. PDF
files are not associated with acrobat reader when it is deployed in this way.

Basically the application is not installed yet it appears in Add/Remove
programs as if it is.

When I assign the packages to computer they work fine.
If I logon to a Windows XP PC it works fine, but we only have 2 of these the
rest are 2000 pro.

I would appreciate any help i can get.

Thanks

"Stephen Lawlor" wrote:
> HELP!
>
> I am trying to install software when users logon, the package
> is assigned
> and set to install at user logon.
> I have a Windows 2003 domain with mostly windows 2000 Pro
> workstations.
>
> When a user logs on I get the 'installing managed software'
> message but this
> only last a second or two. When I then goto add/remove
> programs I can see the
> application but it has no size and i only have the option to
> remove it.
>
> There are no files installed and file association is not
> created. i.e. PDF
> files are not associated with acrobat reader when it is
> deployed in this way.
>
> Basically the application is not installed yet it appears in
> Add/Remove
> programs as if it is.
>
> When I assign the packages to computer they work fine.
> If I logon to a Windows XP PC it works fine, but we only have
> 2 of these the
> rest are 2000 pro.
>
> I would appreciate any help i can get.
>
> Thanks

Hi,

The problem with assigning to users is that they have to have the
write access to install. Therefore they pretty much need to be
Administrators on their machines. I never do it for users but
computers instead.

It could be a permissions issue. Also make sure that the User has at
least Read Access to the share where the software is being installed
from.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Assigning-Software-users-work-ftopict268534.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=844152

I don't think it's permissions, I tried it as both a local admin and domain
admin, and i get the same thing. But if i use an XP pc it works just fine for
a standard domain user.
I even tried installing windows installer 3.0 on one of the 2000 pro pcs but
just get the same thing.