How to buy DDR2 for OCing

justSteve

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I'm looking to purchase a couple gb of ddr2-800 for a GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6. I've pretty much settled on a E4300 given the overclocking capabilities and now need to choose RAM.

In stepping thru user reviews i'm seeing completely contradictory comments regarding how well this or that brand/model works at this or that voltage etc.

Seems there's a great deal of variance depending on which IC were used...the same brand/model will work quite differently.

Will this disparity also effect the more oc-friendly E4300? or how do people go about getting ram that gets the best oc performance?

thx
--steve...

justSteve

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I don't need to squeeze every last Hz out of it. Priority is snappy system, not gaming. The mid-tier looks like $100-125/gb (planning on 2gb) - i can live with that.

Though I wonder if my purposes would be better served getting 4gb of the cheaper stuff, lowering my OC expectations and devoting 2 gb to a ram disk for temp files.

thoughts?

justSteve

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
The Super Talent is the exact product I was originally looking and, by the user reviews, it's clear there is variance in the performance from one batch to the next based on which ICs were used. OC worked great for some - not for others.