Hotu - Beginning - (Yawning Portal)

Hi all,

I ve just started Hotu and a female drow stole all my precious equipment
(arggh!!! )
Is there a way in the game to recover my stolen equipment, or is it
definitely lost??

Thanks for your help

You will find it later in your adventures.

did wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I ve just started Hotu and a female drow stole all my precious equipment
> (arggh!!! )
> Is there a way in the game to recover my stolen equipment, or is it
> definitely lost??
>
> Thanks for your help

Happens to everyone.

You'll find your stuff eventually if you keep a sharp eye out and check
inside all the chests. However, by then you'll almost certainly have
better gear in most every slot.

Although all your stuff was stolen, notice that you still have all your
cash. One approach is to sell all your gear before saving your
character and starting HOTU; this way you have access to all your
"wealth" immediately. Sadly, this doesn't help all that much either, as
the local vendors don't have anything impressive to sell.

I think its a good approach to a high level campaign; if everyone starts
naked then there's a whole lot of potential trouble avoided; when one
level 15 guy may be in solid +6 plate and weapons and own a ton of
fantastic rings and wands etc. and the next may be in +2 leathers and
using a +1 scimitar, its hard to write a module built to accomodate both.

Well, apparently you can get it back and when I find the person who stole it
all, I'm gonna dice them up into very small pieces...

I'm only just ahead of you - I've had a good look round the first level and
am about to go downwards. Except ...

< spoiler space >

What's with the blue dragon - Deekin says leave it alone. Should I?

And is Enserric ALWAYS that annoying?

Best wishes
Maxon

"did" <didier.novo@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I ve just started Hotu and a female drow stole all my precious equipment
> (arggh!!! )
> Is there a way in the game to recover my stolen equipment, or is it
> definitely lost??
>
> Thanks for your help

Vellu

Go ahead and knock it down...no plot around it.

> What's with the blue dragon - Deekin says leave it alone. Should I?

Pretty much...

Maxon wrote:
> Well, apparently you can get it back and when I find the person who stole it
> all, I'm gonna dice them up into very small pieces...
>
> I'm only just ahead of you - I've had a good look round the first level and
> am about to go downwards. Except ...
>
> < spoiler space >

> What's with the blue dragon - Deekin says leave it alone. Should I?

Its relatively difficult, compared to most of the rest of the level.
Not insurmountable, but depending on your level, class, and playing
skills, it might get the best of you. One good plan would be to explore
the rest of the level first, instead of going with the blue dragon first
thing on getting Under there... because the fourth leg of the table is
your gear; its all been stolen from you, and you haven't yet had time to
get any but the most basic of replacements.

IF you can kill the blue dragon, go ahead, there's no plot related
reason not to, its just prudent to wait a bit for many characters.

> And is Enserric ALWAYS that annoying?

Indeed he is. And yet my fighter/bard/RDD used him for the entire rest
of HOTU, with suitable upgrading, and defeated the end boss with him.
Only NPC I could find that didn't end up spending more time dead than alive!

Lance

Maxon wrote:
> Well, apparently you can get it back and when I find the person who stole it
> all, I'm gonna dice them up into very small pieces...
>
> I'm only just ahead of you - I've had a good look round the first level and
> am about to go downwards. Except ...
>
> < spoiler space >

> What's with the blue dragon - Deekin says leave it alone. Should I?

That depends...are you braver than a kobold bard?

> And is Enserric ALWAYS that annoying?

That depends on the player. I quite like him. My girlfriend agrees
with you, though. He's not going to stop talking constantly during
battles, so if that bothers you you should sell him.

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 20:38:17 -0500, Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com>
wrote:

>Indeed he is. And yet my fighter/bard/RDD used him for the entire rest
>of HOTU, with suitable upgrading, and defeated the end boss with him.
>Only NPC I could find that didn't end up spending more time dead than alive!

????

First time through I didn't have *ANY* deaths until I found I
had blown it at the end and I had to try again.

Second time through I left Deekin behind and went with Valen and
Aribeth. Valen died once. I had M's truename but I decided to try
the battle since everyone said it was so hard. No deaths although
they went through a fair number of heal potions (I gave them both 50
going into the battle, I don't think they used more than 10) and I
stood (Wizard/thief--I couldn't do much of anything to him directly)
around using healing kits on them for about 50 points a pop. (Note:
I had the Sleeping Man along. He didn't fight directly but he did
keep dispelling nasties.)

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 10:55:03 GMT, "Maxon" <jen.magson@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Well, apparently you can get it back and when I find the person who stole it
>all, I'm gonna dice them up into very small pieces...

The thief is wimpy. Playing a wizard I've never failed to kill
him. Got really annoyed once--I killed him *BEFORE* he took the
chest--but it vanished anyway.

>What's with the blue dragon - Deekin says leave it alone. Should I?

It's tough. With care you can loot the room without waking it
up.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:36:03 -0500, Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com>
wrote:

>Once in the entirety of HOTU? Sometimes my NPCs died more than once in
>a single fight (when I needed the speed bumpage enough to ressurect them
>mid battle... course since that meant they weren't buffed up, they
>didn't last long)

Once in the entirety. The second path guardian got him somehow.