Software deployement & multiple installations

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

Hello group, and sorry for my english...

In a Win2000 domain with WinXP Pro workstations some of the stations have
had SP2 pre-installed.

We have a GPO for software deployments/updates linked to workstations' OU.
If we try to addthe SP2 update to that policy, it starts the installation on
every station, including those with a pre-installed copy of SP2.

Same thing applies to software that was manually installed, if it is
assigned to a deployment policy - a new installation begins.

A local Microsoft rep. told us that this behaviour is by design.... it is?

Thanx,
Adrian

Create a group and add in it all the computers that you want to
upgrade.
Then get the policy that installs SP2 and remove Authenticated Users
from the Security Tab. Add the group you created before and flag read &
apply group policy

Bye Bar

The only other way to get around it is with a WMI filter that checks for
ServicePack level. but this takes a little while to create. If you have an
SBS 2003 server, they already have a WMI filter configured and setup for SP2
by default.

Good Luck,

--
Thanks,
Christopher Ransom, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA