Restricting access to games on xp pro workstations

I would like to restrict access to games on win2k pro and win xp pro
workstations. Can this be accomplished via group policy? If so how?

Thanks in advance,
--
Mike Bannister

If you are talking about the games that come bundled with Windows, just
uninstall them.
Otherwise you should have a look at software restriction policies.
There are four different ways to apply this (Hash, Certificate, Path
and Zone). Find the one most appropriate to your needs.

You should be able do disallow the execution of any application you
restrict.

Bye
Bar

Mike Bannister (donotspam) wrote:
> I would like to restrict access to games on win2k pro and win xp pro
> workstations. Can this be accomplished via group policy? If so how?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --
> Mike Bannister

To remove the default Windows games like Minesweeper and the like you can
use a GPO to script sysocmgr which will remove them as part of a computer
startup script. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222444

For other games, if your users are not admins they shouldn't be able to
install more games anyway but you can also use Group Policy to restrict what
software can be run. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324036

You also have the problem of web and java based games, a firewall will
probably be the best bet for that.

Finally, security guards can be posted at all entrances and exits to frisk
users for decks of cards and scrabble boards before they come to work,
although security cameras may be required to weed out paper\scissors\stone.