e6600 Heatsink Fan Speed? Normal?

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
This is my first post here, so this is sort of a hello, how are you doing, I have a question..... :D I built a new pc w/ a Core 2 Duo 2.4 e6600 and after getting everything set up I noticed the MSI CoreCenter, is measuring my cpu temp at 33c which seems to be fine, but the cpu fan is only running at 860rpm. Now I understand that the speed will increase and decrease depending on the cpu temp, but it just seems low to me? This is probably a dumb question I know. I was just looking for some reassurance from you guys, that this is normal.

Thanks, Drew

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
This is my first post here, so this is sort of a hello, how are you doing, I have a question..... :D I built a new pc w/ a Core 2 Duo 2.4 e6600 and after getting everything set up I noticed the MSI CoreCenter, is measuring my cpu temp at 33c which seems to be fine, but the cpu fan is only running at 860rpm. Now I understand that the speed will increase and decrease depending on the cpu temp, but it just seems low to me? This is probably a dumb question I know. I was just looking for some reassurance from you guys, that this is normal.

Thanks, Drew

Did you run any game and checked the speed of the fan? Maybe because it is in idle doesnt go higher than 800rpm.

Other thing that can be affecting, C1E, SpeedStep.

If your Fan has a controller to select your prefered speed, make sure is not in automatic.

Any quiet mode in the BIOS (if you have any) or low-noise mode might be also affecting.

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007

Thanks, Drew

Did you run any game and checked the speed of the fan? Maybe because it is in idle doesnt go higher than 800rpm.

Other thing that can be affecting, C1E, SpeedStep.

If your Fan has a controller to select your prefered speed, make sure is not in automatic.

Any quiet mode in the BIOS (if you have any) or low-noise mode might be also affecting.

The heatsink fan is the regular intel one that came with the cpu, so it doesn't have any kind of speed switch. I checked the bios and all I can do is to set a "smart" range. So it will try to keep the cpu temp in that range. The lowest I can set it to is 40C. I could also choose to turn that option off, but then I assume the fan will run full speed all the time and probably burn out.

I did run my game and the speed only went up by like 40 rpm, because the cpu didn't exceed 47C, which is in that "smart" range.

P.S. My "game" is Battlefield 2142.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
What board are you using? is it kinda old?

you know what, I think updating the BIOS should fix the problem. Maybe your fan is running normally but your BIOS displays a wrong number.

Update it and come back after you see what happened

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
What board are you using? is it kinda old?

you know what, I think updating the BIOS should fix the problem. Maybe your fan is running normally but your BIOS displays a wrong number.

Update it and come back after you see what happened

The mobo is a MSI 945P Neo3. Its brand new, but I will check for a bios update.

njdrew

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
well I cant seem to find the most recent bios on MSI's website. According to their list there is a version 3.50 (I have 3.20), but I cant find it anywhere. I will call them on monday and see if I can get the path out of them.

do you really care how fast the fan is providing it keeps the CPU cool and is not too loud? There isn't really a 'right' speed unless you are getting too hot and then you should question are you spinning fast enough.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Contact MSI, btw also tell them your problem. If they say is OK, then just leave it there.

if you still feel your cpu is too hot, get an aftermarket cooler

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks, Drew

That sounds normal to me. Right now, the fan on my E6600 is running at 700rpm and my core temperatures are 42