Upgraded to AMD X2 4800+ S939

troyg

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Ok so I have removed the old CPU and installed the new CPU. All of that was pretty straight forward and seemed to go without a hitch. So now I have my ASUS AI booster software running watch the fan speed, chip temp and chassis temperature. The AMD CPU fan that was supplier was pretty huge but it all appeared to go together very well. My question is what should the temperature of my X2 4800+ while operating in normal conditions? Right now it hovers around 39C is that too hot? or should it be cooler? Any help or advice of what to look for would be great. Also when installing the fan unit and clipping in place there are 2 metal brackets that snap all the sides for the fan mounting there is also a heavy black plastic lever that also press over and into place it seemed to be very hard to get lever turned over. Does that sound normal? Again thanks for any advice.

TmanTrex

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
That all sounds correct, and temps are fine. I'd suggest trying to stay under 55c loaded. If you aren't planning on overclocking, then i'd suggest lowering the vcore as much as you can without causing system instability, and temps will drop even further.. As for that plastic clip, that sounds normal also. It can be a pain, you just have to hold it steady with your thumb while you are flipping the lever over. :)

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
temp sounds about right.

what bios version are you running on your mobo?

i updated mine and it changed my temps by 10c=lower.

dont bother switching thermal paste. it wont make a difference.
well maybe 1c.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
They're -fine-, but you could probably get lower with some AS5 and a few days of heating / cooling cycles. The stock cooler for those is pretty good.

maxinflixion

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
I recently upgraded to the same CPU. Also using Arctic Silver and just threw an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro on there.

PC Wizard is giving me a reading of 44 degrees this morning after the PC was on all night (just doing folding and uploading a few files).

I don't want to thread jack, but have the same question... Does this seem abnormally warm?

The new cooler doesn't FULLY cover the CPU (this is apparently normal according to documentation). Perhaps I need to re-seat the cooler?

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I bought it second hand from a guy who went Intel C2D. I got sick of trolling for a brand new one. It is a great processor.

Ah ! that explains. I might do the same if I can find one at a reasonable price.

maxinflixion

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Just an update. I have been burning DVD's for two days straight (during business hours) while working via VPN at the same time, and I have yet to exceed 51 degrees C.

Yakillme

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Actually I do have one that I might sell. I bought it back in March that I am looking to see, if the price is right...Maybe the board also (DFI NF4-DAGF)

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
All these 939s are hard to get in Canada now... Your temps are great, try to overclock with an undervolt. Congrats, you can now use your system nicely until the Octos come out in '09 before you have to completely upgrade your comp.