Sign in with
Your question

Mike Faces It!!!!

Last response: in Overclocking
January 26, 2007 11:07:03 PM

Ok now, the time has come, after almost 2 months of search and compare, my rig takes shape! Actually 90% is complete and i need some final advices. Here we go:

Intel E6600
Scythe Infinity
8800 GTX
OCZ Platinum XTC REV 2 800Mhz 2GB
2X WD Caviar SE16 WD2500KS
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W

Now problem is i want an X-FI X-TREME GAMER PRO sound card. So i need a mobo that will clock my 6600 to 3.8, not have problems with X-FI and have 2 PCIE slots, one for my 8800 and one for a future ageia/physics chip. 8O The X-FI part scares me the most but i really won't even consider dropping it. EVERY onboard card i've heard has clicks, pauses and messing stuff in games. Btw no Vista for at least six months. My wallet aims not higher than 170 euros. :( 

Thanks for your help in advance and i hope you guys respond! :D 

More about : mike faces

January 27, 2007 12:12:33 AM

Help, plz!! :) 
January 27, 2007 4:10:32 AM

680I, but i think thats more then 170 EURO(im in the US BTW) its 250 USA$$

or you can go for the lower 650I both have 2 PCI SLOTS and will fit your 8800GTX nicely,

I have the 680I and currently it fits,

1 8800GTS
1 VGA COOLER(right under the 8800GTS making the SLI slot useless)
1 X-FI MUSIC at the very bottom.

I can fit the Ageia PCI but i would then have to take out my VGA cooler which i dont wanna do.... if your like wait, 680I has a PCI-E 1x right above the very first PCI-E x16 slot(where your 8800GTS/GTX would go) so the Aegia will fit right nicely on top of the 8800GTX allowing you to SLI/or like me put a VGA cooler.

And believe me the 680I will OC like a breeze i got an E6400 and at 3.2Ghz NP! and if you decide to get a little overzealous on the OC and the system crashes the 680I reboots like it never happened at returns to normal settings that last worked.

Im so happy i didnt get the 975X and got the 680I instead i love it! :D 
Related resources
January 27, 2007 11:38:50 AM

I suppose that with 680i you didn't have any software compability issue with X-FI. I have a friend that owns a Gigabyte 965P S3. His X-Fi Fatlity causes him serious problems like when he turns off his PC for a night or so it will take maybe hours of trying to work again because it will freeze in the post screen. We tried some new creative drivers and the PC couldn't boot not even in safe mode. He solved the problem by NEVER shuting down his PC, it works 24/7. Of course he replaced his first mainboard and now has the second one with exactly the same situation. That's why i won't go with Gigabyte unless i hear that a specific model works great and it's a fact. Maybe you can tell me which 680i mobo you suggest. Btw shame, i helped a lot of people around here and only you cared to response :roll: . Thanks again.
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2007 12:39:18 PM

Well if SLI isn't an issue you could look into the P5W DH Deluxe. I have an Audigy 2, it runs fine and plenty of room. There is also the option of hacked drivers if you really had to run SLI, but I think that's too much of a pain. I haven't heard of any problems with this mainboard and the X-FI. I would have gotten the same sound card your getting if I didn't have the Audigy 2 already. It's not much of an upgrade, X-RAM doesn't really impress me.
January 27, 2007 12:42:07 PM

Oh man, at least someone can post me : '' Hey, you posted in the wrong section'' or "You were the one that flamed me back then...'' :(  . This apathy kills me. Can ANYONE give me some advice please :o  ?
January 27, 2007 12:53:15 PM

I agree with the X- Fi vs Audigy 2. But my 2 ZS sold almost six months ago. The Asus you suggest has 2 PCIE 8X? Also does the 975 chipset overclocks well? Because it costs 200 euro and at that price i can find a lot of mobos with 965 which is great overclocking chipset. Audigy 2 rarely had issues. How do you know that Asus P5W DH works ok with X-FI? Thanks for helping!
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2007 12:58:45 PM

Quote:
Oh man, at least someone can post me : '' Hey, you posted in the wrong section'' or "You were the one that flamed me back then...'' :(  . This apathy kills me. Can ANYONE give me some advice please :o  ?

Apathy? People are making suggestions. In my case I can't say definitely that your choice of sound card will be compatible, but I haven't heard anything about it not being.
January 27, 2007 1:08:26 PM

I didn't meant any offense. I just need help and it's good we all help each other in this community. I know we have many experienced users around and i am looking forward to hear from them. What about the PCIE question? Any of your help is much appreciated.
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2007 1:14:58 PM

Well I don't know specifically whether or not the X-FI will work on not, but I am making an assumption (possibly incorrectly) that since the Audigy 2 works with this mobo, and both are Creative products, it should work as well. As or PCI-E, true when you run CrossFire (which you won't be since you are going to use an nVidia GFX card) it runs 8X8, but using a single card the slot will run at 16X. Even if you were say to use both slots and be limited to 8X, the interface speed wouldn't limit todays cards.

As far as the 975X overclocking well, it doesn't hit the stratospheric FSB's like the 965 or 680i, but it will get up to the high 300's. I just had a look at your original post and you are shooting for 3.8 (pretty high, hope you are watercooling), so this motherboard may not be for you cause you are going to need a FSB of 422 to hit 3.8GHz. The other option is DFI has a motherboard build on RD600. It's said to hit high FSB's and it's much cooler and more power effecient than the 680i. I don't know much about this board though. I seen another forum member suggesting it. Honestly when I was looking to build the sig machine below, I wanted to get a motherboard built on the RD600, but no manufacturer was using that chipset in September.
January 27, 2007 1:25:07 PM

Well Scythe Infinity with two 120mm fans should handle 3.8 Ghz. You are right, i'll need above 400mhz fsb for that. The only reason i care about the second PCI-E is, as i stated before, a future physics chip. The DFI must be great because i also have a good experience from their products. The prices are very high though, that's why i think i'll stick with 965/650i chips :(  .
January 27, 2007 2:05:25 PM

:D  :D  Funny! You could read my original post and notice the 170 euros limit. What about 650i? Where is my friend taco when i need him?
January 27, 2007 2:23:21 PM

Might I just point out that ageia PhysX is a big flop and a waste of time? I know that's not the point of your post, but it sounds like you are on a budget so I don't want you to waste money or anything. :D 
January 27, 2007 2:31:57 PM

Quote:
:D  :D  Funny! You could read my original post and notice the 170 euros limit. What about 650i? Where is my friend taco when i need him?

I run the 650i board and like it a lot. After installation I haven't had any problems. Only cons though -

SLI is 8x, so you cannot run the 8800gts or gtx in sli because they do not function in 8x mode. So i bought the board because I liked what the chipset offered (quad core support), nice featrues, and was cheap about $140 USD, plus I love Asus.

The northbridge does run hot, about 48C idle, which is hotter than my cpu by about 6C on a stock fan.
January 27, 2007 2:55:22 PM

Don't worry i might take one when some kind of upgraded version comes out in a few months. Also ageia isn't the only physics card. AIseek prepares a card also. So i want a spare slot to be sure. UT 2007 is on the way and i'll hate to make compromises in it's quality 8) !
January 27, 2007 2:59:38 PM

I researching the 650i right now and the only thing that bothers me is overclocking. Will 800 ram suffice for 3.8 ghz in this mobo? I will replace the chipset cooler with Thermalright HR 05 SLI ''IF'' i'll take this one.
January 27, 2007 3:10:44 PM

Having built (2) systems in the past week with the E6600 I can recommend the 680i board if you intend to overclock. I can't speak to the sound card issue on 680i because both systems are using onboard sound. For these two systems I discovered the 680i board does not like OCZ ram when overclocking. I had the advantage of being able to try several different manufacturers memory including Corsair, OCZ and Buffalo. The 680i loved the fire sticks and I was able to clock the chips to 3.2 on aftermarket air (zalman) with no voltage increase and temps at full load 42C.

With the ram at stock timings and two 8800GTX in SLI (cards overclocked @ 600x12K) the second system produced 11,700 marks with 3DMark 06.
January 27, 2007 4:29:16 PM
January 27, 2007 5:08:34 PM

Btw what is the difference between DS3 and DS4. Which is better?
January 27, 2007 11:24:23 PM

I've heard that a Gigabyte is on the way to release rev3 of DS4 and DS3 that will improve electrics and support 1333 fsb. Which mobos also support it besides nvidia of course? Come On People!!! I know you're out there! :p 
January 27, 2007 11:33:49 PM

Well okay... DS4 has better cooling and features than DS3.

About DS4 vs P5B DELUXE?

Opinions?

Any memory suggestion maybe?

Any thoughts on the X-Fi compability?

I hope someone helps me.
January 28, 2007 12:03:02 AM

If you want physics in the future, just buy a second GPU to do the job. I'm going to make use of my old X1600PRO in that manner and it should be more powerful than that AGEIA card.
January 28, 2007 12:15:35 AM

A bit out of topic but i want the spare slot for the solution that gets best support from games at that time. Also hate to tell you but beside the non existent support, a X1650XT will never match the computational power of the ageia card in PHYSICS calculations.
January 28, 2007 3:35:53 PM

Quote:
SLI is 8x, so you cannot run the 8800gts or gtx in sli because they do not function in 8x mode. So i bought the board because I liked what the chipset offered (quad core support), nice featrues, and was cheap about $140 USD, plus I love Asus.

WTF ?

You can SLI an 8800 card on the 650i...

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2894&p=5
January 28, 2007 4:50:35 PM

Sorry if this is off topic but, Tacos are you the same person that bought some Super Talent memory off of newegg?

I was wondering about the sticks and your results
January 28, 2007 5:14:06 PM

Actually the DDR2 Ramlist site has been updated.
They include the SuperTalent sticks and list them all as Micron D9's
http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/
January 28, 2007 8:44:45 PM

Okay so here's the deal. I only prefer the 6600 because of the 4MB cache. I was planning for quad core but it's damn expensive. I'll hold the cpu purchase as long as i can because i'd really like a 6450 or a Q6600 after the price drops. Tuniq isn't available here so i'll go with Infinity. The RD600 has 2 16X PCI-E? At that money 680i mobos have it and also have a third 8X slot. Thanks for the memory advice. This memory might be hard to find so i'll need you to tell me the second best of my options for being sure! The X-Fi thing doesn't bother me any longer as i found that the major issues was with NF4 mobos. The Thermaltake 750 is modular and also have a great price at 125 euros. I could ditch it for an enermax liberty 620w but the price difference is minimal and a few watts more will be useful in a future quad upgrade.
January 28, 2007 9:39:08 PM

Well Taco, one thing..............You are RIGHT!! :lol:  You did convinced me! I'll take the E4300 and push some more money in the mobo. I need to tell you though that i will totally ignore ATI's offering for this generation! I am the most pissed ATI fan you can think of! :twisted: I have some games that no matter how old they are i still play them. Tomb Raider AOD and Riddick for example. They both have features disabled just because i use ATI cards. Things like nvidia shadows, cg compiler and 2.0+ shader mode. I hate ATI for their delays, demanding drivers, crap games support and others. Not that nvidia is that much better, but i have to give it a chance because i haven't got one since FX5900. 8800 GTX will do for me. Really man, i want to hit 3.8GHz, i think both RD600 and 680i can achieve that. So why not take the extra PCI-E from 680i. Please clear this RD600 vs 680i thing for me. :? What about that second RAM suggestion?
January 28, 2007 10:03:47 PM

Yeah but which one:
http://www.plaisio.gr/product.aspx?catalog=1&category=1...
http://www.plaisio.gr/product.aspx?catalog=1&category=1...

No, ati will probably be 1024MB and a bit faster but they won't see my money. Me and my friend share around 220 different games almost all 2001 and above. I want to see what a big bad nvidia card can do with them. My rig comes in about three weeks from now so i might see the r600 competitor and the 8900 successor. I'll decide then which nvidia card is for me.
!