  • Resolution
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 28, 2005 2:21:07 PM

I am running into a problem where new computers I am adding to my network, in
which a 17 LCD screen is attached; I set the resolution to be 1024x768 as an
admin. When the user logs onto the workstation, the resolution is reset to
be 1200x1200. I am not sure if the setting is linked to a user profile, in
which the default for a user is this high resolution, OR, if the monitor is
resetting the resolution based on what it thinks is the optimum setting.

So I was wondering if there is a way to force a policy to set the resolution
of a user's desktop to be 1024x768. Under normal policy settings users do
not have rights to the desktop settings. And this behavior seems to be only
with LCD displays. I now have 2 new machines that are behaving this way...?
Crazy.

More about : forcing screen resolution

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:45:27 AM

"Smurfman" wrote:
> I am running into a problem where new computers I am adding to
> my network, in
> which a 17 LCD screen is attached; I set the resolution to be
> 1024x768 as an
> admin. When the user logs onto the workstation, the
> resolution is reset to
> be 1200x1200. I am not sure if the setting is linked to a
> user profile, in
> which the default for a user is this high resolution, OR, if
> the monitor is
> resetting the resolution based on what it thinks is the
> optimum setting.
>
> So I was wondering if there is a way to force a policy to set
> the resolution
> of a user's desktop to be 1024x768. Under normal policy
> settings users do
> not have rights to the desktop settings. And this behavior
> seems to be only
> with LCD displays. I now have 2 new machines that are
> behaving this way...?
> Crazy.

Hi,

This is indeed crazy. Resolution is not set in the User Profiles. It
is set at the machine level. Therefore if you set for Admin, it should
be set for all users. I use Display Switch Platinum which runs in the
system tray and allows users (who have no access to display
properties) the ability to easily switch resolutions. Beware though
that sometimes they can set it out of the monitors range and then the
"last known good profile" is needed.

Works like a charm.
http://www.download.com/DisplaySwitch-Platinum/3000-234...

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Forcing-Scree...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=856268
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:26:37 PM

Hello,

Thank you for your posting.

According to your message, I understand that you want to use a policy to
set the resolution. As far as I know, there is no such policy.

I think when you set the resolution to be 1024x768 as an admin, the other
user will also open the computer with the same resolution. So the behavior
of the workstation is not proper. Have you got some error messages? What is
the OS of the workstation? Please give me more information about the
workstation.

You mentioned you had 2 new machines that are behaving this way. Do they
have something in common?

Please help me gather the following information. Download MPSRPT
SetupPerf.exe and MPSRPT SetupPerf readme.txt from the link below. Then run
MPSRPT SETUPPerf.exe in your workstation. Please send the result to
v-franhe for further research.

Microsoft Product Support's Reporting Tools
88b7-f9c79b7306c0&DisplayLang=en

I am looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support

March 1, 2005 3:26:38 PM

Hi Frances, thanks for the reply.

The two machines are HP D530 Business machines, and both have ViewSonic 17"
LCD screens attached.

Both are windows XP Pro, one is SP2, the other is SP1a

In both cases I logged in as an admin, changed the screen resolution to be
1024x768. And this setting stays true, even when I log off as admin, and log
back on as admin.

BUT - the users do not have rights to access the desktop settings and change
the resolution. HOWEVER, after a normal network user logs on, the resolution
resets back to the default or optimum setting of the ViewSonic something like
1200 x 1200 and it is really small. I can't seem to figure this one out...so
I thought if I could force the resolution in some way that would be even
better.

the v-franhe address is @microsoft.com I presume?

Thanks

"Frances [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your posting.
>
> According to your message, I understand that you want to use a policy to
> set the resolution. As far as I know, there is no such policy.
>
> I think when you set the resolution to be 1024x768 as an admin, the other
> user will also open the computer with the same resolution. So the behavior
> of the workstation is not proper. Have you got some error messages? What is
> the OS of the workstation? Please give me more information about the
> workstation.
>
> You mentioned you had 2 new machines that are behaving this way. Do they
> have something in common?
>
> Please help me gather the following information. Download MPSRPT
> SetupPerf.exe and MPSRPT SetupPerf readme.txt from the link below. Then run
> MPSRPT SETUPPerf.exe in your workstation. Please send the result to
> v-franhe for further research.
>
> Microsoft Product Support's Reporting Tools
> 88b7-f9c79b7306c0&DisplayLang=en
>
> I am looking forward to your reply.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Frances He
>

> Microsoft Online Partner Support

March 1, 2005 5:54:16 PM

"Smurfman" wrote:
> Hi Frances, thanks for the reply.
>
> The two machines are HP D530 Business machines, and both have
> ViewSonic 17"
> LCD screens attached.
>
> Both are windows XP Pro, one is SP2, the other is SP1a
>
> In both cases I logged in as an admin, changed the screen
> resolution to be
> 1024x768. And this setting stays true, even when I log off as
> admin, and log
> back on as admin.
>
> BUT - the users do not have rights to access the desktop
> settings and change
> the resolution. HOWEVER, after a normal network user logs on,
> the resolution
> resets back to the default or optimum setting of the ViewSonic
> something like
> 1200 x 1200 and it is really small. I can't seem to figure
> this one out...so
> I thought if I could force the resolution in some way that
> would be even
> better.
>
> the v-franhe address is @microsoft.com I presume?
>
> Thanks

> "Frances [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thank you for your posting.
> >
> > According to your message, I understand that you want to use
> a policy to
> > set the resolution. As far as I know, there is no such
> policy.
> >
> > I think when you set the resolution to be 1024x768 as an
> admin, the other
> > user will also open the computer with the same resolution.
> So the behavior
> > of the workstation is not proper. Have you got some error
> messages? What is
> > the OS of the workstation? Please give me more information
> about the
> > workstation.
> >
> > You mentioned you had 2 new machines that are behaving this
> way. Do they
> > have something in common?
> >
> > Please help me gather the following information. Download
> MPSRPT
> > SetupPerf.exe and MPSRPT SetupPerf readme.txt from the link
> below. Then run
> > MPSRPT SETUPPerf.exe in your workstation. Please send the
> result to
> > v-franhe for further research.
> >
> > Microsoft Product Support's Reporting Tools
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
> > 88b7-f9c79b7306c0&DisplayLang=en
> >
> > I am looking forward to your reply.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Frances He
> >

> > Microsoft Online Partner Support
> > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

> > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so
> > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights.

Hi,

It may be something funky with HP machines. I avoid them like the
plague because they often have weird preinstalled software that does
stuff like this. Checkout their website for troubleshooting. There may
be a third party software reseting to optimal or something like that.

By the way, just because users don’t have access to desktop settings
doesn’t mean they don’t have access to change the resolution. As I
pointed out with the software I posted above, it does let the user
change the resolution even though the machine is locked tight via
group policy. It may be a piece of software that is doing this? Often
3rd party games or software automatically set the resolution when they
start. They are suppose to return back to the previous, but they may
not.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Forcing-Scree...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=857375
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 5:54:17 PM

Thats it...perfect. Did a troubleshoot for HP and found a similar article
related to machines that did not take a resolution setting. They had a tool
that you coudl install called SetRefresh which would automatically probe the
video card and the monitor to determine the best setting for the resolution
and/or refresh settings.

To make a long story short, this program was probably already installed (pre
that is) and was acting exactly like the program said it would. I installed
the SetRefresh program again, with apparently updated the registry as to the
location of the program...in the readme, you can run the program again with a
-u to remove all registry entries...I did that and all is well..

Kudos.!

Thanks guys.

"lforbes" wrote:

> [...]
> > confers no rights.
> > >

> Hi,
>
> It may be something funky with HP machines. I avoid them like the
> plague because they often have weird preinstalled software that does
> stuff like this. Checkout their website for troubleshooting. There may
> be a third party software reseting to optimal or something like that.
>
> By the way, just because users don’t have access to desktop settings
> doesn’t mean they don’t have access to change the resolution. As I
> pointed out with the software I posted above, it does let the user
> change the resolution even though the machine is locked tight via
> group policy. It may be a piece of software that is doing this? Often
> 3rd party games or software automatically set the resolution when they
> start. They are suppose to return back to the previous, but they may

March 2, 2005 9:34:44 AM

Hello J,

Good to hear that the problem is solved by installing the SetRefresh
program again. It is a great experience sharing. Thank you, J!

In addition, thank Lara for reminding us to checkout HP website for
troubleshooting.

In the future, if you have any other concern, please feel free to let us
know.

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support

March 2, 2005 10:03:13 PM

>To make a long story short, this program was probably already
>installed (pre that is)

Yep, that is why I despise buying from the Big Manufacturers. Takes me
hours to uninstall all their pre-installed garbage and it leaves the
registry a mess.

"I Don’t want a copy of Symantec Norton Antivirus" that is going to
expire in a month and spend every minute poping up and reminding me to
buy the update." I also don’t want all the "goodies" that fill up
the harddrive and are basically advertisments.

IBM and Dell are bad for this as well. I phone Dell and wanted to
order a Dell Without an OS. I have a retail version of Windows 2000
Pro and didn’t want their garbage. They wouldn’t sell me a machine
without charging me for the preinstalled XP Home and Wordperfect etc.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Forcing-Scree...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=859961
December 31, 2008 2:44:03 PM

Wow you guys, if you have set the local admin and it has stuck for all users it is because of some kind of fluke or you’re lucky. What is going on is the following: Windows holds a shell for default profiles (this applies to windows 2000, XP, and Vista -- mainly the PRO versions of these but the home versions will work as well). The shell is called Default User which consequently, stores log on settings in the NTUSER.DAT file. This folder and file create the default shell for all profiles. This shell does not necessarily mirror the admin profile although after set up it does until you make changes. Once changes have been made they are then stored in the .DAT of each profile. Basicaly, the idea is when a new profile is created it grabs it from the shell as a template. So what you need to do is once you have the setting you like from say your admin profile then copy them to the Default user profile – remember the NTUSER.DAT file holds the info. I learned this little trick after years of doing things the long way, it makes your life so much easier when dealing with images or multiple machines you want set the same way.

Have fun, and enjoy the info :-),

Darkonechameleon
!