Need Help cooling 8800GTS please....

SCBUcFanTX

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
One 8800gts at the moment, 2 in the future ona 680i SLi mobo...

What fans///sinks do i use to cool these video cards...no water cooling please

and please keep it simple i am kinda a noob at this. :oops:

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
First, build a small shed in your back lawn where you can set up a blacksmith.
Then, begin work on your iron mine. If you have a location where the ore is lying on the ground you can just pick it up, but I'd suggest a good strip miner, maybe the Bagger 288. After you harvest enough ore, begin the smelting process. You will need to carve a mold out of wood or something. Make sure all the fins on the new video card fan are carefully carved out in the mold, you may want to have a high powered laser burn the pattern into the block for extra precision. Next, begin heating the ore. You're going to want some system of bellows or an air compressor to get the iron to an acceptable heat and burn off impurities. After the iron is hot an malleable, pour it into the mold. You may also want to use copper instead of iron, since copper is much better for heat conductivity. You'll probably need another Bagger 288 for your copper mine, though, and it could get expensive. Anyways, once the mold is filled, let it cool. You may want to temper it with rapid cooling in water and multiple reheats. Also make sure that the mold fits the holes on your video card very precisely. You don't want to go through the trouble with the blacksmith and Bagger 288 only to have the damn thing the wrong size. Lastly, strap the heatsink onto the video card. If you desire, you can place additional holes in the mold as a place to strap on a fan. Anyways, if you follow these steps closely, you should have a good fan in 10-15 months. Hope this helped.
-cm

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
One 8800gts at the moment, 2 in the future ona 680i SLi mobo...

What fans///sinks do i use to cool these video cards...no water cooling please

and please keep it simple i am kinda a noob at this. :oops:
how about if you glue 2 120mm fans in an CM stacker , and glue it to the window ( obviusly having the holes there)

I think theres some guys with very well air cooled videocards in the main forum ( where they post pictures of their system )

The coolers on 8800's are pretty good. The best thing is that they exhaust the vga heat directly out the back. Most aftermarket vga coolers do a good job of getting the heat off of the vga card, but they just shift the problem to the rest of the case and the cpu cooler. The best thing to do is to get a case that will circulate a lot of air. This means many bigger and slower fans. Look at the Antec 900.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I'm amazed no one commented on my first post. I thought that was one of my most assholiest-post ever. I'm already regretting it.
-cm

AllyBoy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but nobody responded to your original because EVERYONE on the entire forum, except for you, knows that copper cant be annealed or tempered by thermal cycling in the manner you describe - it's too good a conductor for that to work. Since you didn't know about smelting processes, you weren't worth the reply. :wink:

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
First, build a small shed in your back lawn where you can set up a blacksmith.
Then, begin work on your iron mine. If you have a location where the ore is lying on the ground you can just pick it up, but I'd suggest a good strip miner, maybe the Bagger 288. After you harvest enough ore, begin the smelting process. You will need to carve a mold out of wood or something. Make sure all the fins on the new video card fan are carefully carved out in the mold, you may want to have a high powered laser burn the pattern into the block for extra precision. Next, begin heating the ore. You're going to want some system of bellows or an air compressor to get the iron to an acceptable heat and burn off impurities. After the iron is hot an malleable, pour it into the mold. You may also want to use copper instead of iron, since copper is much better for heat conductivity. You'll probably need another Bagger 288 for your copper mine, though, and it could get expensive. Anyways, once the mold is filled, let it cool. You may want to temper it with rapid cooling in water and multiple reheats. Also make sure that the mold fits the holes on your video card very precisely. You don't want to go through the trouble with the blacksmith and Bagger 288 only to have the damn thing the wrong size. Lastly, strap the heatsink onto the video card. If you desire, you can place additional holes in the mold as a place to strap on a fan. Anyways, if you follow these steps closely, you should have a good fan in 10-15 months. Hope this helped.
-cm

Fine, I'll take a jab:

celewign is a simple guy, he does everything from scratch. In fact, he's sitting at his computer naked right now because he hasn't harvested his backyard cotton yet, the cows are too young and the sheep aren't woolly enough. He's starving because a cold snap killed off his wheat crops, and he'll stop posting in five minutes because the river that drives the waterwheel that runs his computer has run dry.

mpjesse

Splendid
Fine, I'll take a jab:

celewign is a simple guy, he does everything from scratch. In fact, he's sitting at his computer naked right now because he hasn't harvested his backyard cotton yet, the cows are too young and the sheep aren't woolly enough. He's starving because a cold snap killed off his wheat crops, and he'll stop posting in five minutes because the river that drives the waterwheel that runs his computer has run dry.

Meh. Valiant effort though...

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Fine, I'll take a jab:

Meh. Valiant effort though...

Over the top, yeah.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
NOOOOOO!!!! YOU EXPOSED ME AS A WIKIPEDIA FAULTY KNOWLEDGE PERSON!!!! MY LIFE HAS NO MEANING!!!!

OP: Get Zalman. The answer to every cooling question is: ZALMAN.
-cm