memory/gaming pc

mikeyg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
i have two two questions for all you gamers out there and non gamers alike. fiirst off memory. i am going ddr, now how big a difference is there in dual channel ddr and "normal" ddr? along with that, does the motherboard need to be dual channel compatible? and then my second question is more an asking for input. i am a counter strike player (i am chupacabra is the name if your wondering) but thats neither here nor there. currently i have a alienware area 51 with a pentium4 3.0ghz, 1gb ram, ati radeon x1600 pro. i am interested in building my own pc with an amd 64x2 or fx and 2gb of memory. i have been reading about the geforce 8800 as far as video cards go. but i am looking for opinions, those specs are more just to give a price range im looking at. so please if you have a minute, let me know your thoughts, it would be greatly appreciateted.

"in the wild, there is no such thing as health care. in the wild, health care is owe, i hurt my leg, im a lion eats me, and im dead. well, im not dead. im the lion.
youre dead!
~dwight schrute, the office

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
wow how much u play for that 5h!T alienware with an X1600PRO!?

First Off, Intel MUCH BETTER right now then AMD, only reason i see for an AMD now is if you alrdy have AM2/S939 MOBO and upgrade your processor, either than that since your building a new comp intel is the way to go!

E6300/E6400(maybe even a E4300!) For your processor
Then either a Gigabtye DS3 or a 680-650I those are good MOBOS
Some OCZ DDR800mhz ram will be a great

rest is up to you.