Can I reinstall Windows XP without courting disaster?

Don
19 answers Last reply
More about loading

    Don Cromer wrote:
    > Can I reinstall Windows XP without courting disaster?
    >

    > Don

    A better question would be why do you want to reinstall.
    It's very seldom necessary. If you're having problems post
    them here and see if they can be remedied without the reinstall.

    gls858

    In news:Bt-dnYqhbfRC4o7fRVn-rg@comcast.com,
    Don Cromer <DonCromer@comcast.net> typed:

    > Can I reinstall Windows XP without courting disaster?

    Certainly. You can do a repair installation (see "How to Perform
    a Windows XP Repair Install"
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm) or a clean
    reinstallation (find detailed instructions here:
    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm)

    However why do you want to do this? A repair installation is OK,
    but a reformat and reinstall is almost always a mistake in my
    view. With a modicum of care, it should never be necessary to
    reinstall Windows (XP or any other version). I've run Windows
    3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, and
    Windows XP, each for the period of time before the next version
    came out, and each on two machines here. I never reinstalled any
    of them, and I have never had anything more than an occasional
    minor problem.

    It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
    support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
    almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
    "reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
    It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
    doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
    most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

    But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
    have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
    your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
    application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
    drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
    your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

    Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
    you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
    application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
    Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
    customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
    everything work the way you like?

    Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
    that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
    far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
    troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
    after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
    have failed.

    If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that someone
    can help you and a reinstallation won't be required.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    The only time I have been directed to do a clean install was by MSN and PSS
    a few months ago over an issue that prevented MSN from running correctly or
    being reinstalled after removal. Go figure! I must say both support groups
    tried hard with me for several days of phone calls and they communicated
    with each other before giving up on a less drastic solution.

    Fortunately I keep my install cd's carefully stored and I never
    download-and-run an installer. I always download-and-save and then archive
    the installer file and product key to an external drive after installation.
    Still, it takes a weekend to get everything installed and updated again.

    > In news:Bt-dnYqhbfRC4o7fRVn-rg@comcast.com,
    > Don Cromer <DonCromer@comcast.net> typed:
    >
    >> Can I reinstall Windows XP without courting disaster?
    >

    > Certainly. You can do a repair installation (see "How to Perform a Windows
    > XP Repair Install" http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm)
    > or a clean reinstallation (find detailed instructions here:
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    > or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm
    > or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm)
    >

    > However why do you want to do this? A repair installation is OK, but a
    > reformat and reinstall is almost always a mistake in my view. With a
    > modicum of care, it should never be necessary to reinstall Windows (XP or
    > any other version). I've run Windows 3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95,
    > Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP, each for the period of time
    > before the next version came out, and each on two machines here. I never
    > reinstalled any of them, and I have never had anything more than an
    > occasional minor problem.
    >
    > It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical support
    > people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to almost any problem
    > they don't quickly know the answer to is "reformat and reinstall." That's
    > the perfect solution for them. It gets you off the phone quickly, it
    > almost always works, and it doesn't require them to do any real
    > troubleshooting (a skill that most of them obviously don't possess in any
    > great degree).
    >
    > But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You have to
    > restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all your programs,
    > you have to reinstall all the Windows and application updates,you have to
    > locate and install all the needed drivers for your system, you have to
    > recustomize Windows and all your apps to work the way you're comfortable
    > with.
    >
    > Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome, you may
    > have trouble with some of them: can you find all your application CDs? Can
    > you find all the needed installation codes? Do you have data backups to
    > restore? Do you even remember all the customizations and tweaks you may
    > have installed to make everything work the way you like?
    >
    > Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve that
    > Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and far between;
    > reinstallation should not be a substitute for troubleshooting; it should
    > be a last resort, to be done only after all other attempts at
    > troubleshooting by a qualified person have failed.
    >
    > If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that someone can help
    > you and a reinstallation won't be required.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    Hi Don

    What problem(s) have you got with XP, that needs a re-install? If needed,
    you can try a 'Repair' install of XP - please see the following article by
    Michael Stevens:

    "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Can I reinstall Windows XP without courting disaster?
    >

    > Don

    My immediate problem is that whenever I try to enter a site
    to download crossword puzzles, I get bounced out
    of IE 6.0. I have tried reinstalling everything I can
    but nothing works.

    Don

    > Hi Don
    >
    > What problem(s) have you got with XP, that needs a re-install? If needed,
    > you can try a 'Repair' install of XP - please see the following article by
    > Michael Stevens:
    >
    > "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Can I reinstall Windows XP without courting disaster?
    >>

    >> Don

    Read the website for help on how to configure IE6 with regards to popups,
    cookies, etc. Reinstallation will wipe out all your programs and data
    files. What you are describing is a settings problem and not an OS problem.

    > My immediate problem is that whenever I try to enter a site
    > to download crossword puzzles, I get bounced out
    > of IE 6.0. I have tried reinstalling everything I can
    > but nothing works.
    >
    > Don

    >> Hi Don
    >>
    >> What problem(s) have you got with XP, that needs a re-install? If
    >> needed, you can try a 'Repair' install of XP - please see the following
    >> article by Michael Stevens:
    >>
    >> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> Can I reinstall Windows XP without courting disaster?
    >>>

    >>> Don

    And that's your only problem?

    It could be a problem at the website, IE may be having a problem with the
    code at the website and thus bounces you out...no amount of reinstalling
    will fix that but you might try a different browser, Firefox, Opera, etc. or
    contact the site's tech support as this issue may be on their end.

    It also might be some security settings, it could be a setting in a
    firewall, antivirus or some other security software you have installed on
    your system in which case you need to check their logs, many firewalls have
    keep logs with regard to what they've blocked, if you find nothing, return
    to the site, try again, then check the log. If no logs, check what the
    applications are blocking, check their settings, maybe they are too
    stringent for that specific site or you may be able to set the application
    or firewall to allow all activity from that site.

    As to your request, it is vast overkill for the problem as you've described
    it and might not even fix the issue. Installing or reinstalling, whether
    clean, a repair install, or an install over the current setup is the
    equivalent of doing major brain surgery on your setup and any time it is
    done you are courting disaster. If you mean can you safely do it without
    backing up, NEVER perform any such procedure without backing up. Regardless
    of how easy such procedures have become, there is always the possibility of
    failure, catastrophe and disaster.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > My immediate problem is that whenever I try to enter a site
    > to download crossword puzzles, I get bounced out
    > of IE 6.0. I have tried reinstalling everything I can
    > but nothing works.
    >
    > Don

    >> Hi Don
    >>
    >> What problem(s) have you got with XP, that needs a re-install? If
    >> needed, you can try a 'Repair' install of XP - please see the following
    >> article by Michael Stevens:
    >>
    >> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> Can I reinstall Windows XP without courting disaster?
    >>>

    >>> Don

    I thought reinstalling would be overkill.

    I have tried Firefox to no avail.

    I am sure it is some setting somewhere, but I haven't found it.

    The same problem exists at all crossword sites.

    Don

    Don Cromer wrote:
    > I thought reinstalling would be overkill.
    >
    > I have tried Firefox to no avail.
    >
    > I am sure it is some setting somewhere, but I haven't found it.
    >
    > The same problem exists at all crossword sites.
    >

    > Don
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>And that's your only problem?
    >>
    >>It could be a problem at the website, IE may be having a problem with the
    >>code at the website and thus bounces you out...no amount of reinstalling
    >>will fix that but you might try a different browser, Firefox, Opera, etc.
    >>or contact the site's tech support as this issue may be on their end.
    >>
    >>It also might be some security settings, it could be a setting in a
    >>firewall, antivirus or some other security software you have installed on
    >>your system in which case you need to check their logs, many firewalls
    >>have keep logs with regard to what they've blocked, if you find nothing,
    >>return to the site, try again, then check the log. If no logs, check what
    >>the applications are blocking, check their settings, maybe they are too
    >>stringent for that specific site or you may be able to set the application
    >>or firewall to allow all activity from that site.
    >>
    >>As to your request, it is vast overkill for the problem as you've
    >>described it and might not even fix the issue. Installing or
    >>reinstalling, whether clean, a repair install, or an install over the
    >>current setup is the equivalent of doing major brain surgery on your setup
    >>and any time it is done you are courting disaster. If you mean can you
    >>safely do it without backing up, NEVER perform any such procedure without
    >>backing up. Regardless of how easy such procedures have become, there is
    >>always the possibility of failure, catastrophe and disaster.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >>Windows Shell/User
    >>Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >>DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >>"Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My immediate problem is that whenever I try to enter a site
    >>>to download crossword puzzles, I get bounced out
    >>>of IE 6.0. I have tried reinstalling everything I can
    >>>but nothing works.
    >>>
    >>>Don
    >>>
    >>>"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    Don,
    Post one of the sites and I'll try to duplicate the problem.

    gls858

    gls858's response in this thread may yield some information.

    As to settings, you'll need to go through your security settings and
    software as I've outlined to try to narrow this down or find the exact
    source of the issue.

    One other possibility, you may not have Java installed on your system. You
    can test your Java installation at the following site:
    http://www.pocoso.de/pocoso052.html

    --

    > I thought reinstalling would be overkill.
    >
    > I have tried Firefox to no avail.
    >
    > I am sure it is some setting somewhere, but I haven't found it.
    >
    > The same problem exists at all crossword sites.
    >

    > Don
    >

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> And that's your only problem?
    >>
    >> It could be a problem at the website, IE may be having a problem with the
    >> code at the website and thus bounces you out...no amount of reinstalling
    >> will fix that but you might try a different browser, Firefox, Opera, etc.
    >> or contact the site's tech support as this issue may be on their end.
    >>
    >> It also might be some security settings, it could be a setting in a
    >> firewall, antivirus or some other security software you have installed on
    >> your system in which case you need to check their logs, many firewalls
    >> have keep logs with regard to what they've blocked, if you find nothing,
    >> return to the site, try again, then check the log. If no logs, check
    >> what the applications are blocking, check their settings, maybe they are
    >> too stringent for that specific site or you may be able to set the
    >> application or firewall to allow all activity from that site.
    >>
    >> As to your request, it is vast overkill for the problem as you've
    >> described it and might not even fix the issue. Installing or
    >> reinstalling, whether clean, a repair install, or an install over the
    >> current setup is the equivalent of doing major brain surgery on your
    >> setup and any time it is done you are courting disaster. If you mean can
    >> you safely do it without backing up, NEVER perform any such procedure
    >> without backing up. Regardless of how easy such procedures have become,
    >> there is always the possibility of failure, catastrophe and disaster.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> My immediate problem is that whenever I try to enter a site
    >>> to download crossword puzzles, I get bounced out
    >>> of IE 6.0. I have tried reinstalling everything I can
    >>> but nothing works.
    >>>
    >>> Don
    >>>
    >>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    http://www.primate.wisc.edu/people/hamel/cp.html

    At this site.
    line
    3. Best crosswords

    "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Don Cromer wrote:
    >> I thought reinstalling would be overkill.
    >>
    >> I have tried Firefox to no avail.
    >>
    >> I am sure it is some setting somewhere, but I haven't found it.
    >>
    >> The same problem exists at all crossword sites.
    >>

    >> Don
    >>

    >> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>And that's your only problem?
    >>>
    >>>It could be a problem at the website, IE may be having a problem with the
    >>>code at the website and thus bounces you out...no amount of reinstalling
    >>>will fix that but you might try a different browser, Firefox, Opera, etc.
    >>>or contact the site's tech support as this issue may be on their end.
    >>>
    >>>It also might be some security settings, it could be a setting in a
    >>>firewall, antivirus or some other security software you have installed on
    >>>your system in which case you need to check their logs, many firewalls
    >>>have keep logs with regard to what they've blocked, if you find nothing,
    >>>return to the site, try again, then check the log. If no logs, check
    >>>what the applications are blocking, check their settings, maybe they are
    >>>too stringent for that specific site or you may be able to set the
    >>>application or firewall to allow all activity from that site.
    >>>
    >>>As to your request, it is vast overkill for the problem as you've
    >>>described it and might not even fix the issue. Installing or
    >>>reinstalling, whether clean, a repair install, or an install over the
    >>>current setup is the equivalent of doing major brain surgery on your
    >>>setup and any time it is done you are courting disaster. If you mean can
    >>>you safely do it without backing up, NEVER perform any such procedure
    >>>without backing up. Regardless of how easy such procedures have become,
    >>>there is always the possibility of failure, catastrophe and disaster.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >>>Windows Shell/User
    >>>Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >>>DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>>
    >>>"Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > Don,
    > Post one of the sites and I'll try to duplicate the problem.
    >
    > gls858

    As I was clicking around at the site, I noticed reference to Java Applets,
    have you checked to make sure it is installed as I suggested because if it
    isn't that may well be the issue.

    I have Sun's Java installed and didn't have any problem at the site, of
    course, your mileage may vary but it's worth checking to see if you have it
    installed.

    If it is and it's functioning properly, then I would guess some sort of
    security restriction. Many security apps will restrict Java implementation
    or prevent the loading of Java apps.

    --

    > http://www.primate.wisc.edu/people/hamel/cp.html
    >
    > At this site.
    > line
    > 3. Best crosswords
    >

    > "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Don Cromer wrote:
    >>> I thought reinstalling would be overkill.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried Firefox to no avail.
    >>>
    >>> I am sure it is some setting somewhere, but I haven't found it.
    >>>
    >>> The same problem exists at all crossword sites.
    >>>

    >>> Don
    >>>

    >>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message

    >> Don,
    >> Post one of the sites and I'll try to duplicate the problem.
    >>
    >> gls858

    Hi Don

    Have you tried the following MS article:

    "How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
    XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318378

    Also try the following programs to check for any spyware that may be on your
    system:

    Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
    CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

    Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

    Also see the following links:

    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > My immediate problem is that whenever I try to enter a site
    > to download crossword puzzles, I get bounced out
    > of IE 6.0. I have tried reinstalling everything I can
    > but nothing works.
    >
    > Don

    >> Hi Don
    >>
    >> What problem(s) have you got with XP, that needs a re-install? If
    >> needed, you can try a 'Repair' install of XP - please see the following
    >> article by Michael Stevens:
    >>
    >> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> Can I reinstall Windows XP without courting disaster?
    >>>

    >>> Don

    Hi

    A 'Repair' install won't wipe everything from the hard disk/partition.

    --

    > Read the website for help on how to configure IE6 with regards to popups,
    > cookies, etc. Reinstallation will wipe out all your programs and data
    > files. What you are describing is a settings problem and not an OS
    > problem.

    > "Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> My immediate problem is that whenever I try to enter a site
    >> to download crossword puzzles, I get bounced out
    >> of IE 6.0. I have tried reinstalling everything I can
    >> but nothing works.
    >>
    >> Don
    >>
    >> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Don
    >>>
    >>> What problem(s) have you got with XP, that needs a re-install? If
    >>> needed, you can try a 'Repair' install of XP - please see the following
    >>> article by Michael Stevens:
    >>>
    >>> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
    >>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>

    >>> Will Denny
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>>

    >>> "Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message

    I know, Will, but the OP wrote 'reinstall' not 'repair install' and I fear
    he means popping in the cd and starting over. Anyway, his clarification of
    his issue moots the point, as you no doubt have already seen. It looks more
    like a site problem.

    > Hi
    >
    > A 'Repair' install won't wipe everything from the hard disk/partition.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups

    >> Read the website for help on how to configure IE6 with regards to popups,
    >> cookies, etc. Reinstallation will wipe out all your programs and data
    >> files. What you are describing is a settings problem and not an OS
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> My immediate problem is that whenever I try to enter a site
    >>> to download crossword puzzles, I get bounced out
    >>> of IE 6.0. I have tried reinstalling everything I can
    >>> but nothing works.
    >>>
    >>> Don
    >>>
    >>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    Hi Colin

    Hopefully IE will either be repairable or the settings adjusted to the
    correct ones. A 'Repair' install will sort the problem, but the OP will
    lose any Updates that have been installed.

    --

    >I know, Will, but the OP wrote 'reinstall' not 'repair install' and I fear
    >he means popping in the cd and starting over. Anyway, his clarification of
    >his issue moots the point, as you no doubt have already seen. It looks
    >more like a site problem.

    >> Hi
    >>
    >> A 'Repair' install won't wipe everything from the hard disk/partition.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Read the website for help on how to configure IE6 with regards to
    >>> popups, cookies, etc. Reinstallation will wipe out all your programs
    >>> and data files. What you are describing is a settings problem and not
    >>> an OS problem.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "Don Cromer" <DonCromer@comcast.net> wrote in message

    That was my thought also. Of course if it a settings issue, I'm not sure
    the IE repair would fix it because he is not reporting problems with other
    sites. What do you think?

    > Hi Colin
    >
    > Hopefully IE will either be repairable or the settings adjusted to the
    > correct ones. A 'Repair' install will sort the problem, but the OP will
    > lose any Updates that have been installed.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups

    >>I know, Will, but the OP wrote 'reinstall' not 'repair install' and I fear
    >>he means popping in the cd and starting over. Anyway, his clarification
    >>of his issue moots the point, as you no doubt have already seen. It looks
    >>more like a site problem.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> A 'Repair' install won't wipe everything from the hard disk/partition.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>

    >>> Will Denny
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>>

    >>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    It could be the result of any number of possible problems - including
    spyware and/or a virus.

    --

    > That was my thought also. Of course if it a settings issue, I'm not sure
    > the IE repair would fix it because he is not reporting problems with other
    > sites. What do you think?

    >> Hi Colin
    >>
    >> Hopefully IE will either be repairable or the settings adjusted to the
    >> correct ones. A 'Repair' install will sort the problem, but the OP will
    >> lose any Updates that have been installed.
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>>I know, Will, but the OP wrote 'reinstall' not 'repair install' and I
    >>>fear he means popping in the cd and starting over. Anyway, his
    >>>clarification of his issue moots the point, as you no doubt have already
    >>>seen. It looks more like a site problem.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Don,
    Did you ever get this sorted?

    gls858

Microsoft Windows XP