Remote desktop dns issue?

I'm trying to use remote desktop within my home network. I can connect to the client computer just fine, but only if I type the ip address of the machine I'm trying to connect to. If I type the name of the machine, it doesn't work. Although file sharing works just fine and I can access shared files through the network no problem.

My home network is setup using a wireless router/cable modem that my cable company supplied. (SMC8014W-G if that matters) The two computers are wired into the router (not connecting wireless).

DHCP is on for both machines, so connecting via ip address requires knowing ahead of time what ip the machine I'm connecting to has, not so great...esp. because I'm hoping to use the client machine without graphics at all.

I'm guessing this is some kind of DNS problem, I just don't have the networking chops to know where to go for help. Ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop issue
  1. Why don't you use the free version of Logmein instead of RDP?
  2. Quote:
    Why don't you use the free version of Logmein instead of RDP?

I'm not familiar with Logmein, I'll check it out. I'm generally under the impression that Remote Desktop offers better performance than VNC and it's already installed, so I went with it.
  3. Quote:
    Why don't you use the free version of Logmein instead of RDP?

It would be nice if Windows Remote Desktop could resolve the machine name on it's own, but my fix was quick and simple. If anyone else has a similar problem, here's what I did:

On the machine I'm trying to connect to, I set that machine up to have a static ip.

On the machine I'm trying to connect from, I added an entry in my hosts file to associate the machine name with the new static ip.

Works as it should now.

Thanks for your input Grump9117
  4. Are you in the same network or are you connecting with it over the internet?
Ask a new question

Read More

Remote Desktop Connection Windows 7