adding a domain user to local administrative group

Hi there,

Any one please help me to add a domain user to local administrative group
in the member domain workstation (windows 2K, XP) using Group Policy?

Thanks,
J.H
5 answers Last reply
More about adding domain user local administrative group

    You could use a simple startup script using the " net localgroup
    administrators mydomain\user /add " command or use Restricted Groups at the
    OU level [do NOT do a the domain level for the purpose you want to do].
    Assuming you are using SP4 you can create a global group, add the user to
    the global group and then use Restricted Groups to make that global group a
    member of administrators which will place that domain group in the local
    administrators group of all domain computers on the OU. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322241/EN-US/ --- Group Policy startup
    scripts

    "J.H" <jpthsd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Any one please help me to add a domain user to local administrative group
    > in the member domain workstation (windows 2K, XP) using Group Policy?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > J.H

    Steve,

    Could you shed some light on the statement "use Restricted Groups at the
    > OU level [do NOT do a the domain level for the purpose you want to do]. "?

    Specifically, why not use the Restricted Groups at the Domain Level?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > You could use a simple startup script using the " net localgroup
    > administrators mydomain\user /add " command or use Restricted Groups at the
    > OU level [do NOT do a the domain level for the purpose you want to do].
    > Assuming you are using SP4 you can create a global group, add the user to
    > the global group and then use Restricted Groups to make that global group a
    > member of administrators which will place that domain group in the local
    > administrators group of all domain computers on the OU. --- Steve
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322241/EN-US/ --- Group Policy startup
    > scripts
    >
    > "J.H" <jpthsd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > Any one please help me to add a domain user to local administrative group
    > > in the member domain workstation (windows 2K, XP) using Group Policy?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > J.H

    Hi Tom.

    I was specifically referring to your requirement. Say for instance you did
    configure it at the domain level, then the user/group you add to member of for
    the administrators group would be added to the local administrators group of ALL
    domain computers and the administrators group for the domain itself which you
    probably do not want. --- Steve

    "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Steve,
    >
    > Could you shed some light on the statement "use Restricted Groups at the
    > > OU level [do NOT do a the domain level for the purpose you want to do]. "?
    >
    > Specifically, why not use the Restricted Groups at the Domain Level?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom
    >

    > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
    >
    > > You could use a simple startup script using the " net localgroup
    > > administrators mydomain\user /add " command or use Restricted Groups at the
    > > OU level [do NOT do a the domain level for the purpose you want to do].
    > > Assuming you are using SP4 you can create a global group, add the user to
    > > the global group and then use Restricted Groups to make that global group a
    > > member of administrators which will place that domain group in the local
    > > administrators group of all domain computers on the OU. --- Steve
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322241/EN-US/ --- Group Policy startup
    > > scripts
    > >
    > > "J.H" <jpthsd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi there,
    > > >
    > > > Any one please help me to add a domain user to local administrative group
    > > > in the member domain workstation (windows 2K, XP) using Group Policy?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > J.H

    Steve, thank you very much for the help.

    "Steven Umbach" wrote:

    > Hi Tom.
    >
    > I was specifically referring to your requirement. Say for instance you did
    > configure it at the domain level, then the user/group you add to member of for
    > the administrators group would be added to the local administrators group of ALL
    > domain computers and the administrators group for the domain itself which you
    > probably do not want. --- Steve
    >

    > "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Steve,
    > >
    > > Could you shed some light on the statement "use Restricted Groups at the
    > > > OU level [do NOT do a the domain level for the purpose you want to do]. "?
    > >
    > > Specifically, why not use the Restricted Groups at the Domain Level?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Tom
    > >

    > > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You could use a simple startup script using the " net localgroup
    > > > administrators mydomain\user /add " command or use Restricted Groups at the
    > > > OU level [do NOT do a the domain level for the purpose you want to do].
    > > > Assuming you are using SP4 you can create a global group, add the user to
    > > > the global group and then use Restricted Groups to make that global group a
    > > > member of administrators which will place that domain group in the local
    > > > administrators group of all domain computers on the OU. --- Steve
    > > >
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322241/EN-US/ --- Group Policy startup
    > > > scripts
    > > >
    > > > "J.H" <jpthsd@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Hello Steven,

    I tried to do the net localgroup in startup or login got zip for results,
    although
    the GPO did correctly do other odd jobs update internet favorites and
    software
    installs. I read some where a "remote" script cannot execute net.exe in
    this manner
    yet I have seen your solution posted multiple times /places so I am hoping
    to get
    this to run so I can globally modify local XP administrator users. Any
    thoughts ?

    W2003 std, with XP serv Pack 2 workstations. Thanks, Dan T.

    "Tom" wrote:

    > Steve, thank you very much for the help.
    >
    > "Steven Umbach" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Tom.
    > >
    > > I was specifically referring to your requirement. Say for instance you did
    > > configure it at the domain level, then the user/group you add to member of for
    > > the administrators group would be added to the local administrators group of ALL
    > > domain computers and the administrators group for the domain itself which you
    > > probably do not want. --- Steve
    > >

    > > "Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Steve,
    > > >
    > > > Could you shed some light on the statement "use Restricted Groups at the
    > > >
    > > > Specifically, why not use the Restricted Groups at the Domain Level?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Tom

Policy Domain Workstations Microsoft Windows XP Windows