Moving OS from standard HD to an SSD

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
July 6, 2011 11:19:02 AM

I have a question:

I just purchased an SSD and a new MB and processor. I currently have Windows 7 64 bit installed on a standard hard drive. I would like to "move" it from that hard drive to my new SSD and boot from the SSD. What is the best way to go about doing that? I have created a system image on an external hard drive and have created the recovery DVD's as well. Thanks for the help.

More about : moving standard ssd

a c 233 $ Windows 7
July 6, 2011 12:03:09 PM

When moving to an SSD, and especially when moving to a new motherboard, it is highly recommended that you do a clean install of the OS as your old installation of the OS will not contain the correct system drivers for the new motherboard. Also, restoring a HDD image to a SSD will most likely not correctly align the SSD sectors as would a new format from win 7.
m
l
July 6, 2011 12:05:22 PM

How does the serial/activation number thing work with a clean install? I downloaded this copy of Windows 7 from Microsoft as an upgrade from Vista. Can I obtain a new one? I'm sure google has the answer, but sometimes it's easier getting a response from an actual person...thanks.
m
l
a c 233 $ Windows 7
July 6, 2011 12:08:16 PM

If it won't activate with your current code, call microsoft and tell them your old motherboard died and you'll be replacing it and the HDD. They will issue you a new activation code.
m
l
!