Changing OU after using GP to install software

Jordan

I have been trying out installing software MSI packages via GP on my W2K
domain. I have several computers I put in a TEST OU and setup things like
Acrobat Reader 7, MS Access 2003 Runtime engine, SolidWorks, etc. The
installs worked fine and I would now like to these computers into one of the
production OU.

1. If I move the computers from the OU named TEST that has a couple of
packages installed and put them into SALES that has nothing assigned to be
installed will there be any problems like packages being uninstalled?

2. If no uninstall will happen because of the move, what will happen to
those computers if I assign the same packages to the SALES container now
that they are in there?

There is an option for "unistall the application when they fall out of the
scope of management" that if enabled then the application should be removed
if the computer is removed from the OU. If that application is assigned to
both OU's the application will stay installed. I am not sure however if it
would first uninstall and then reinstall but that is something you could
test easy enough by rebooting the computer after moving it between OUs. ---
Steve

"Jordan" <nojunk_allowed@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have been trying out installing software MSI packages via GP on my W2K
>domain. I have several computers I put in a TEST OU and setup things like
>Acrobat Reader 7, MS Access 2003 Runtime engine, SolidWorks, etc. The
>installs worked fine and I would now like to these computers into one of
>the production OU.
>
> 1. If I move the computers from the OU named TEST that has a couple of
> packages installed and put them into SALES that has nothing assigned to be
> installed will there be any problems like packages being uninstalled?
>
> 2. If no uninstall will happen because of the move, what will happen to
> those computers if I assign the same packages to the SALES container now
> that they are in there?

Hi, Jordan:

As for question number 1: The software will get uninstalled if you
selected "uninstall application when it falls out of scope of management."

About question 2: When I've done this before, it hasn't uninstalled and
reinstalled unless you have chosen the uninstall when it falls out of
the scope.. However, once I did have that selected, and it was quite fun
to watch Office uninstall and reinstall at startup.

HTH.
________________
Steve Athanas
MCSE (2003)

"Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> said

> There is an option for "unistall the application when they fall out of
> the scope of management" that if enabled then the application should be
> removed if the computer is removed from the OU. If that application is
> assigned to both OU's the application will stay installed. I am not sure
> however if it would first uninstall and then reinstall but that is
> something you could test easy enough by rebooting the computer after
> moving it between OUs.

The application should remain in place if the same GPO is linked to both OUs.
The only time it should remove and reinstall is if two unique GPO's are used
to install the app on the different OUs.

--

Andy.

Thanks Andy. The first part makes sense since if the GPO is linked to both
OU's then the computer is not being removed from the scope of management but
I was not sure about the second scenario. --- Steve

"Steven L Umbach2" wrote:
> Thanks Andy. The first part makes sense since if the GPO is
> linked to both
> OU's then the computer is not being removed from the scope of
> management but
> I was not sure about the second scenario. --- Steve
>

> "Andrew Mitchell" <amitchell@removecasey.vic.gov.au> wrote in
> message
> > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> said
> >
>  >> There is an option for "unistall the application when
> they fall out of
>  >> the scope of management" that if enabled then the
> application should be
>  >> removed if the computer is removed from the OU. If
> that application is
>  >> assigned to both OU's the application will stay
> installed. I am not sure
>  >> however if it would first uninstall and then
> reinstall but that is
>  >> something you could test easy enough by rebooting the
> computer after
>  >> moving it between OUs.
> >
> > The application should remain in place if the same GPO is
> linked to both
> > OUs.
> > The only time it should remove and reinstall is if two
> unique GPO's are
> > used
> > to install the app on the different OUs.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Andy.

Hi,

I actually create "install" OU’s, one for each software package, and
then move my computers in there in bunches. I then move them back to
their original OU once the software has installed and then delete the
"install" Group Policy and OU. Never had a software piece uninstall
yet. I don’t, of course, tick the "uninstall when falls...".

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Changing-OU-GP-install-software-ftopict272601.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=865708