Sign in with
Your question

How do I copy everyone from one disk to another?

Last response: in Storage
January 27, 2007 4:17:43 AM

My question sounds like I don't know how to move files from one HD to another but what I really need to know is:
1. How to copy everything on my old IDE drive to my new SATA drive...
AND
2. Be able to have all my old desktop icons/settings from the old drive on the new drive.

Thanks!

More about : copy disk

January 27, 2007 4:35:55 AM

Are you going to use the SATA in the same system?

If yes - hook up the SATA - go up into the BIOS - look for boot priority and make sure that the SATA is AFTER the old IDE drive.

Get a hold of an imaging app like True Image (my favorite); burn its' bootable cd - pop it into the cd - restart - boot from the cd - and CLONE the old drive onto the new. Shut down.

Unhook the IDE if you're retiring it. If you're going to use it for storage - go up into the BIOS and place the IDE AFTER the SATA drive.
January 27, 2007 8:16:22 AM

Quote:
My question sounds like I don't know how to move files from one HD to another but what I really need to know is:
1. How to copy everything on my old IDE drive to my new SATA drive...
AND
2. Be able to have all my old desktop icons/settings from the old drive on the new drive.

Thanks!
Give this "How-To" a read. Although it's a couple years old, it might answer a lot of questions that might come up. GL :) 

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=418
Related resources
a c 342 G Storage
January 29, 2007 4:31:23 PM

By chance, did you buy your SATA drive as a retail package that contined a CD of utilities? I did that with one Seagate drive. Their Disk Wizard for partitioning and formatting a new drive also has an interesting option. You can copy EVERYTHING from the existing boot drive (C:)  to the new drive and make the new one bootable. The drive sizes do not have to match. Then you just re-set BIOS things as another poster said to make the new SATA drive your C: drive to boot from.
January 29, 2007 8:57:25 PM

I wish I had but no. Right now I'll just move the items I want backed up and try to figure out how to keep my settings for my browser, Firefox, and email, Thunderbird. If I can do that, then I'll be set for booting up from the SATA drive and use the IDE drive for backup and storage.
February 1, 2007 5:28:38 AM

I believe most of the HD companies offer some of their programs online in the form of floppy disks. Might not be on a nice neat CD but it's available.

Alternatively, just download Ultimate Boot CD as it contains the hard drive tools from several HD manufacturers. It also has other neat tools for you to use in case things go wrong - though you should learn how to use them before attempting to do so.
a b G Storage
February 1, 2007 1:04:55 PM

I downloaded the tools disk from Western digital to redo my wifes computer and it worked just fine. I think they have a floppy and cd version. Not sure if it would work on non-WD drives or not though.
!