roaming mandatory profile

"tony" wrote:
> Is there anyway I can set a mandatory profile for a user to
> only a certain
> machine?

Hi,

No. Profiles are User based. They are set in account properties.
However, you can setup a Profile to be "mandatory" like with Group
Policy restrictions.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-roaming-mandatory-profile-ftopict272921.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=861642

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

ok. I have lab machines that I want all users to be able to access. But I do
not want any local profiles created. So I think mandatory profiles will work
here. But these users also have their local machines they log onto and I do
not want them to get a mandatory profile.

both lab machines and user machines are on the same domain.

any help appreciated

"tony" wrote:
> ok. I have lab machines that I want all users to be able to
> access. But I do
> not want any local profiles created. So I think mandatory
> profiles will work
> here. But these users also have their local machines they log
> onto and I do
> not want them to get a mandatory profile.
>
> both lab machines and user machines are on the same domain.
>

> any help appreciated
>
> "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > "tony" wrote:
>  > > Is there anyway I can set a mandatory profile for a
> user to
>  > > only a certain
>  > > machine?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > No. Profiles are User based. They are set in account
> properties.
> > However, you can setup a Profile to be "mandatory" like with
> Group
> > Policy restrictions.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Lara
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-roaming-mandatory-profile-ftopict272921.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=861642

Hi,

Do your users use Roaming Profiles at all or do they just use local
ones for their own machine? I would recommend just switching to
Roaming for all (regular roaming) and set Group Policy to delete
roaming profiles on logoff and not to cache roaming profiles.

You can then set restrictions with Group Policy for those machines.

Basically Mandatory Profiles are roaming but they are per user so once
a user has one, it goes everywhere.

Why are you worried about local profiles being created? If you have a
lab setting where do they save?

If you are worried about the local profiles taking up space you need
to know that even mandatory profiles cache locally even with all the
settings telling it not to. I was given the following batch file to
delete all local profiles except the ones I want. However it needs to
be a startup script.
For spacing. The new lines start at "set" and "for" with
everything else just wrapping.

@echo off
pushd "C:\Documents and Settings"

set Exempt=*Administrator* *All Users* *Default User* *LocalService*
*NetworkService*
for /d %%a in (*.*) do echo %Exempt% | find /i "*%%a*" > nul ||
rmdir /s /q "%%a"

popd

Cheers,

Lara

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

hi

no we are not using roaming profiles. Does roaming profiles need to be
configured under each user property as well? If so I am trying to avoifd
doing that and do everything at the GPO.
Also, I want the lab machines locked down. WE have a mapped drive for each
user that logs on and they should be able to save to their own mapped home
drive (they get this via vbscript) in a goup policy. All profiles are
currently local. So I might have to consider scheduling a script to delete
all local profiles if this becomes an issue.

Thanks