Remove mapped network drives

Jordan

When I setup my default image for all my Windows 2000 and XP computers I
forgot to disconnect all the network drives before I finalized the "Default
Users" profile. Since then I have switched a couple of drive mapping to
another server and removed the old server

Was
X: ->> \\Oldserver\Oldshare1
Y: ->> \\Oldserver\Oldshare2

Now
X: ->> \\Newserver\Newshare1
Y: ->> \\Newserver\Newshare2

Now whenever a new user logs onto a computer that had the drives mapped at
the time their logon script will not map the shares because they get the
error in the script that the drive letters are already in use.

I have tried using "Net use * /delete" in the logon script but sometimes
depending on the speed the script runs, it will not work properly. I would
rather keep my scripts tight so if it is possible I would like to be albe to
have something in GP that removes manually created mapped drives prior to my
logon script running.

Jordan wrote:
> When I setup my default image for all my Windows 2000 and XP
> computers I forgot to disconnect all the network drives before I
> finalized the "Default Users" profile. Since then I have switched a
> couple of drive mapping to another server and removed the old server
>
> Was
> X: ->> \\Oldserver\Oldshare1
> Y: ->> \\Oldserver\Oldshare2
>
> Now
> X: ->> \\Newserver\Newshare1
> Y: ->> \\Newserver\Newshare2
>
> Now whenever a new user logs onto a computer that had the drives
> mapped at the time their logon script will not map the shares because
> they get the error in the script that the drive letters are already
> in use.
>
> I have tried using "Net use * /delete" in the logon script but
> sometimes depending on the speed the script runs, it will not work
> properly.

? Can't see how it could; I've never experienced that myself. Perhaps you
could try adding

sleep 5

after the /delete line, if you get sleep.exe from the resource kit & make
sure all the computers have it...

> I would rather keep my scripts tight so if it is possible
> I would like to be albe to have something in GP that removes manually
> created mapped drives prior to my logon script running.

Try manually removing the drive mappings once. Then in your login script,
use

net use x: \\server\share /persistent:no

etc. so that the drive mappings are not retained outside of that session. I
always do this and have never had a problem.

Jordan

The /persistent : no works for the user, not the computer. When another new
user logs on they are going to get the mapped drives from the Default User
profile first.

I could use sleep.exe, but then it adds more time for my users to be able to
kill the login script if the feel like they are special and they don't have
to wait. A few other updates that are important take place in the login
script so I like to keep it as short as possible.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Jordan wrote:
>> When I setup my default image for all my Windows 2000 and XP
>> computers I forgot to disconnect all the network drives before I
>> finalized the "Default Users" profile. Since then I have switched a
>> couple of drive mapping to another server and removed the old server
>>
>> Was
>> X: ->> \\Oldserver\Oldshare1
>> Y: ->> \\Oldserver\Oldshare2
>>
>> Now
>> X: ->> \\Newserver\Newshare1
>> Y: ->> \\Newserver\Newshare2
>>
>> Now whenever a new user logs onto a computer that had the drives
>> mapped at the time their logon script will not map the shares because
>> they get the error in the script that the drive letters are already
>> in use.
>>
>> I have tried using "Net use * /delete" in the logon script but
>> sometimes depending on the speed the script runs, it will not work
>> properly.
>
> ? Can't see how it could; I've never experienced that myself. Perhaps you
> could try adding
>
> sleep 5
>
> after the /delete line, if you get sleep.exe from the resource kit & make
> sure all the computers have it...
>
>> I would rather keep my scripts tight so if it is possible
>> I would like to be albe to have something in GP that removes manually
>> created mapped drives prior to my logon script running.
>
> Try manually removing the drive mappings once. Then in your login script,
> use
>
> net use x: \\server\share /persistent:no
>
> etc. so that the drive mappings are not retained outside of that session.
> always do this and have never had a problem.

Could you place the net use ... /delete line after these other updates take
place? And if they feel that special, they'll have to wait double for the
log off and then to log back in.

HTH

Ken

Jordan wrote:
> The /persistent : no works for the user, not the computer.

Computers don't use drive mappings.

> When
> another new user logs on they are going to get the mapped drives from
> the Default User profile first.

No - why are there drive mappings in the default user profile?

I tell ya, I have been using this exact login script stuff for maybe 8 years
now and I have never once had a problem with it. And you can stop people
even seeing the login script, you know ....and/or use something besides
batch files for your login scripts. I'm lazy, so I stick with the easy batch
file route.