shared resources problem

February 16, 2005 11:45:03 PM

Hi There!

I have faced with strange problem. My home network is based on tcp/ip.
Recently I noted that some of files/folders on shared resource of server are
missed. Sometimes after pressing F5 some of them are appeared/dissapeared.
Sometimes, I see missed items when access by ip (not by netbiosname).
Disabling/Enabling firewall does not affect. Both PCs running Windows XP.

Anybody can give some tips to solve this?

Thanks,
Igor
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:56:32 PM

Some extra:

When I enter direct UNC it opened, but subfolders of files also woud be
mised. ie:

\\homeserver\music -- folders/files are listen, but I don't see ACDC folder
for example,
\\homeserver\music\ACDC is opened fine, but there I also dont see some
folders etc

There're no system/hidden folders/files, also appropriated options to show
such files are set in "Folder Options" of client mashine

Regards,
Igor

"Igor Kolupaev" <no@spam> wrote in message
> Hi There!
>
> I have faced with strange problem. My home network is based on tcp/ip.
> Recently I noted that some of files/folders on shared resource of server
> are missed. Sometimes after pressing F5 some of them are
> appeared/dissapeared. Sometimes, I see missed items when access by ip (not
> by netbiosname). Disabling/Enabling firewall does not affect. Both PCs
> running Windows XP.
>
> Anybody can give some tips to solve this?
>
> Thanks,
> Igor

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:03:04 PM

i have the same problem. for years in xp ive shared folders and helped others
setup shared folders, a very simple process of course.
but within the past month, two systems on completely different peoples
networks have begun exhibiting this same problem-
im sharing a folder open to everyone, permissions are all fine, but some
subfolders arent showing up in the shared folder, and its random, totally
random, different ones show/disappear certain days. even if i do a
\\127.0.0.1 to check a single system, some subfolders arent showing up unless
i specifically type their exact position in the address bar.
there have never been infections on the systems, nor any crashes ever, no
problems at all. i have scoured the internet for two weeks every day looking
for an answer.
how is this possible, in 23 years of computing i must say, this is the first
time i am totally stumped, theres no reason nor logic to it. some subfolders
just dont show up on a shared folder, and again its not a
permissions/security problem so what else could it be?
has some part of the registry told windows to not look more than 1 deep in a
shared folder? but then why are some showing up i wonder. even creating a
brand new folder, and new subfolders, as a test, i still have the problem.
any advice would astound me and i would be quite impressed!

"Igor Kolupaev" wrote:

> Hi There!
>
> I have faced with strange problem. My home network is based on tcp/ip.
> Recently I noted that some of files/folders on shared resource of server are
> missed. Sometimes after pressing F5 some of them are appeared/dissapeared.
> Sometimes, I see missed items when access by ip (not by netbiosname).
> Disabling/Enabling firewall does not affect. Both PCs running Windows XP.
>
> Anybody can give some tips to solve this?
>
> Thanks,
> Igor

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:45:02 PM

ok, found out the problem;
the MS hotfix from feb 7th KB885250 has a glaring bug in it; my problem.
by removing this buggy hotifx i was able to gain access to folders again. so
if anyone has this problem, there you go.

hope MS gets this one fixed ASAP for those poor souls who havent the
slightest idea and are paying others to try and resolve it.

!