xp sp2 firewall settings through group policy?

djc

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

can I control the xp sp2 firewall settings for clients through windows 2000
server GPOs?

If so:
1) where are the settings?
2) Is it ok to just set them at the domain level (default policy) to let
them fly to all machines even if some of those machines are not xp sp2? I
have a mix of win2k sp4 and xp sp2 machines and have not seperated them into
their own OUs. I just want to verify that there should be no bad effects on
the non-xp sp2 machines. I don't want to separate them into their own OUs
unless its necessary.

any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

"djc" wrote:
> can I control the xp sp2 firewall settings for clients through
> windows 2000
> server GPOs?
>
> If so:
> 1) where are the settings?
> 2) Is it ok to just set them at the domain level (default
> policy) to let
> them fly to all machines even if some of those machines are
> not xp sp2? I
> have a mix of win2k sp4 and xp sp2 machines and have not
> seperated them into
> their own OUs. I just want to verify that there should be no
> bad effects on
> the non-xp sp2 machines. I don't want to separate them into
> their own OUs
> unless its necessary.
>
> any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

You need to upgrade your servers with the newest ADM’s for Windows XP
SP2.

Find a machine with SP2 installed.
Go to the Windows/inf directory (hidden)
copy all the .ADM files to a location.
(Or download from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92759d4b-7112-4b6c-ad4a-bbf3802a5c9b&DisplayLang=en#filelist
)

Copy all these .ADM files to the Windows/INF directories on ALL your
DC’s and Any machines running Windows AdminPak.msi

They are specially made so only XP SP2 settings apply to XP SP2
machines. Therefore you can run them on any Windows 2000 or 2003 DC
and with any Windows 2000/XP clients

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-xp-sp2-firewall-settings-ftopict273205.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=863474

djc

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

great! Thank you very much.

"lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "djc" wrote:
> > can I control the xp sp2 firewall settings for clients through
> > windows 2000
> > server GPOs?
> >
> > If so:
> > 1) where are the settings?
> > 2) Is it ok to just set them at the domain level (default
> > policy) to let
> > them fly to all machines even if some of those machines are
> > not xp sp2? I
> > have a mix of win2k sp4 and xp sp2 machines and have not
> > seperated them into
> > their own OUs. I just want to verify that there should be no
> > bad effects on
> > the non-xp sp2 machines. I don't want to separate them into
> > their own OUs
> > unless its necessary.
> >
> > any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Hi,
>
> You need to upgrade your servers with the newest ADM's for Windows XP
> SP2.
>
> Find a machine with SP2 installed.
> Go to the Windows/inf directory (hidden)
> copy all the .ADM files to a location.
> (Or download from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92759d4b-7112-4b6c-ad4a-bbf3802a5c9b&DisplayLang=en#filelist
> )
>
> Copy all these .ADM files to the Windows/INF directories on ALL your
> DC's and Any machines running Windows AdminPak.msi
>
> They are specially made so only XP SP2 settings apply to XP SP2
> machines. Therefore you can run them on any Windows 2000 or 2003 DC
> and with any Windows 2000/XP clients
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara

request
> Topic URL:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-xp-sp2-firewall-settings-ftopict273205.html
http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=863474

But once you copy them over, Do I need to install the templates, if so,
which one?

Or do i just need to browse thru the policy to find it?