Scythe Ninja - improving heat transfer performance?

Jason65

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
Hi - I have a strange question, I suppose, about improving the Scythe Ninja's heat transfer ability from the CPU contact plate to the heat pipes.

Looking at the close up pic I took -

ninja.gif

I have indicated with red 4 arrows, spaces between the 3 heatpipes, under the CPU contact plate. If the Ninja is viewed from 90degree to this angle, ie. side on this, there are also several gaps between the other 3 heatpipes that sit on the 3 that touch the plate.

If I understand the science correctly, heat is transferred better through a solid block of copper than it is through air, yet the heatpipes actually have only a small amount of contact area with the copper contact plate and the aluminium heatsink on the other side. A large proportion of the heatpipe surface area is exposed to the air, in the confined spaces between the heatsink and the contact plate.

I am thinking that this heatpipe enclosure should be fully filled with heat transferring material, in order to make it more efficient. Since I can't melt copper and pour it in the spaces, I wonder if filling the spaces with thermal compound will improve the heat transfer capability of the heatpipes?

cheers,
Jason

GrimReaperGuy

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Possibly, but quite doubtful. You'll find that thermal compound is a poor thermal conductor over longer distances, it really only serves to ensure a perfectly flat connection between the two surfaces.
I am highly doubtful that filling in the 'gaps' with thermal compound will be beneficial. If you ask me, let sleeping dragons lie.