Upgrade Sata Raid Striped Drives??????

frostyboy

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Hello,
Does anyone know what the easiest way is to upgrade a pair of sata 80gig striped drives to a pair of 320 gig striped drives while maintaining my current data configuration? (in other words not having to reformat) My board is the famous ASROCK 939 dual sata, which only has a pair of sata ports and a single sata2 port which complicates things. thanks.

TheKracken

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
I don't think it's possible, but I'm new at this as you can see. I might be wrong, but I think you have to reformat. If I'm am wrong can someone corret me. I would like to know the correct anwser. :) I also heard that people will jump you if the subject is in all caps. Just wanting to warn you so you don't get attacked by others. :wink:

The_Interloper

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
The answer reflects my current configuration (not proven because I haven't had a reason to restore a backup yet but in theory should work). Do a backup of your raid array on an external or another drive, install your new drives, create the array, write backup image to new drives if that kind of restore is supported or reinstall windows and restore image from within. In windows, raid arrays and backup images will be looked at like one drive anyway.

JakFlaUsa

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
What i do is copy the raid to a pata drive, then format the new raid, and then copy the pata back the the new raid.

The_Interloper

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I have a 2 disk array that I copy to an external drive. In the backup program and windows, the array is reflected as one disk and the image will be stored as such. After you create the new array and restore the image, it'll be written across the array as one image. I used two different backup programs for added assurance. Ghost and Acronis True Image. I haven't restored an image yet bacause I haven't had the need to but I'm pretty sure it'll work or I would not use the setup. Acronis has more features that would assist in the restore. You can do a restore without booting into windows so there would'nt be a need to install windows after the array is created.