File and Print sharing

I have a windows 2003 server w/ 100 win XP PC. I would like to turn off file
and print sharing on the local PC, we have network printers and a file
server, so I do not want them to share files and printers localy, and with
some of the viruses going around I would like to just be on the safe side and
remove any unneeded things ( I Do have SAV installed on all PC). So to the
question is there a way to do this with GPMC
2 answers Last reply
More about file print sharing

    Daniel wrote:
    > I have a windows 2003 server w/ 100 win XP PC. I would like to turn
    > off file and print sharing on the local PC, we have network printers
    > and a file server, so I do not want them to share files and printers
    > localy, and with some of the viruses going around I would like to
    > just be on the safe side and remove any unneeded things ( I Do have
    > SAV installed on all PC). So to the question is there a way to do
    > this with GPMC

    OT - but if all they have are limited user accounts, they can't do this
    anyway. And frankly, that's all they really should have.

    (this is meant to be an addition to any other, more specific replies, you
    get).

    You have a couple of options. You can use Group Policy - computer
    configuration/Windows settings/security settings - services to disable the
    server service on those computers which you do NOT want to do at the domain
    level that may affect domain controllers, you can configure the user right
    for access this computer from the network to include only domain admins or
    such for those computers, you can use an ipsec filtering policy that denies
    access to ports 139 and 445 tcp on those computers, or if using XP Pro SP2
    you can enforce the use of the XP Windows firewall on those computers. The
    XP Windows firewall would be the best option to stop propagation of a worm.
    Keep in mind that you can not manage those domain computers remotely using
    My Computer if the file and print sharing ports are blocked though you still
    may be able to use RDP on port 3389 TCP. The XP SP2 Windows Firewall can be
    managed via Group Policy and you can create exceptions such as to open file
    and print sharing ports only for specific IP addresses such as those used by
    workstations for those who are authorized to do administrator functions on
    those computers. If your users are allowed to create folders, then they are
    at least power users which in itself is a risk factor for computer problems
    such as the user allowing malware to be installed from the internet or
    media. --- Steve

    "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a windows 2003 server w/ 100 win XP PC. I would like to turn off
    >file
    > and print sharing on the local PC, we have network printers and a file
    > server, so I do not want them to share files and printers localy, and with
    > some of the viruses going around I would like to just be on the safe side
    > and
    > remove any unneeded things ( I Do have SAV installed on all PC). So to the
    > question is there a way to do this with GPMC

Windows Server 2003 Servers Windows