Another New Rig in Design, Feedback / Debate welcomed

XxSmokexX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Hey all,

I am working on updateing my old rig, actully thats invalid, I am going to retire my old rig, and make a complete new rig... My old rig has the following (off the top of my head)
500 watt power supply unit (psu)
1.5 gigs of ram
150 gig segate HD
256 meg X700 pro ATI vid card AGP
and then your slew of normal stuff floppy/cd drive/ cd burner
All run by a AMD Athalon XP 2600+ that runs at 2.2 ghz clock speed

I have had the above for about 4 years or so upgradeing diffrent pieces as I went. A bit of personal selection is the ATI cards I love thier graphics cards despite their prior driver issues. (still current but that statement can begin arguements)

As for the new system I have been plotting and planning for a bit now and I have it almost all built I just am lacking a Vid Card solution.

Case : Antec Performance One P180 Silver cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - I choose this case for its sound dampening abilitiy, it would be nice to not hear the 4 120mm fans that will be inside.

Fan Controller : AeroCool Gatewatch2 –Silver Panel - I know, why a fan controller, I wanted to have an easy spot to attach fans and some extra control over them, and perhaps if I keep the front of the case open something pretty to look at as well.

Mother Board : ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - I picked an ASUS board because other then user error I have never had a problem with them (one time the flat head screw drive slipped when removed a heatsink off a cpu). I additionally liked the fact it still has 2 ide controllers as well as a slew of sata connectors. And with the case I picked, I should only have to extend the wireing on the 4 pin connector to reach the top of the board the rest of the power connectors should be fine.

Power Supply : Thermaltake W0116RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 750W Power Supply - I picked this power supply for its crossfire support and becuase it is modular - Thus eliminating some of the rats nest of wires. Modular power supplys allow you to plug in the wires you would like seperatley from haveing them all plugged in. Also the chrome shiny finish does not hurt =P but without a side window it is kind of unnecessary.

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor - This is one of the conroe cores that is all the talk right now, I also wanted to buy a clock speed that was faster than what I priviously had. I understand it has dual cores and one the same clock rate as my previous processor would still be better but, its the american I need a bigger number deal.

Memory : Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit times two - It was diffucult to pick the ram, but I figured Kingston would not let me down, and it has the timings i would like 4-4-4-12.

Hard Drives : Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s times two - this will be in a raid 1 or 0 setup and will host the os and other junk. I have a File server on the network for storage so this space will be for personal use and installing games.

Sound Card : Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - I had to get a decent sound card to replace my old Creative Live gamer 5.1 I have had for ever.

CPU Heatsink : ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler - I decided to ditch the stock cooler and after reading some reviews I figured this would do the job, and heck I am a sucker for a green led.

I still am debateing on a vid card for this setup, I was considering either getting the G8 series card or wait for ati's dx10 card to come out. I may just pick up a $200 ati card dx9 and wait.

Any feed back would be great as to diffrent componets etc. But please post why you feel the switch would be necessary.

cost for the above without shipping is $1,767.90

akhilles

Splendid
Rat's Nest - Good times on Socom for PS2. Played the hell out of this map.

Green led - Resistence is futile...

The case & fan controler are a perfect match.

JetWay X19PR-ED-256M Radeon X1950PRO $169.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814153034

The mobo is one of the top c2d boards. I didn't realize it had 2 IDE connectors. The Jmicron is said to suck. So use the other one for hard disks.

Looks like a pretty decent pc.

TRENDING THREADS