Adding Printers via logon script

Hello,

I have recently setup a print server in Win2k AD, and I am currently in the
process of adding printers to groups via a logon script. I am successfull in
adding the printers, however I can not seem to find out how to set one of the
printers as a default printer. In addition, is it possible to add a script
to be run so the printers would be added to worstations rather than users?

Thanks in advance!
Vince

If you add your printers with printui.dll you can choose which printer is
set as the default printer. This will probably also work for the existing
printers added by other methods. This kb explains how to do it
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314486

To add printers to computers rather than users, just assign the script as a
computer startup script in Group Policy instead of a user logon script.

"Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have recently setup a print server in Win2k AD, and I am currently in
> the
> process of adding printers to groups via a logon script. I am successfull
> in
> adding the printers, however I can not seem to find out how to set one of
> the
> printers as a default printer. In addition, is it possible to add a
> script
> to be run so the printers would be added to worstations rather than users?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Vince

Thanks for the info, unfortunatley I can not seem to find anything which will
designate a printer as the default. In most cases, I will be adding several
printers in each logon script, and this is definitely a sticking point.

--Vince

"Simon Geary" wrote:

> If you add your printers with printui.dll you can choose which printer is
> set as the default printer. This will probably also work for the existing
> printers added by other methods. This kb explains how to do it
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314486
>
> To add printers to computers rather than users, just assign the script as a
> computer startup script in Group Policy instead of a user logon script.
>
> "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have recently setup a print server in Win2k AD, and I am currently in
> > the
> > process of adding printers to groups via a logon script. I am successfull
> > in
> > adding the printers, however I can not seem to find out how to set one of
> > the
> > printers as a default printer. In addition, is it possible to add a
> > script
> > to be run so the printers would be added to worstations rather than users?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Vince

Run this from a command line

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /?

It shows the options for printui.dll. /y is used to set the default printer.

> Thanks for the info, unfortunatley I can not seem to find anything which
> will
> designate a printer as the default. In most cases, I will be adding
> several
> printers in each logon script, and this is definitely a sticking point.
>
> --Vince
>
> "Simon Geary" wrote:
>
>> If you add your printers with printui.dll you can choose which printer is
>> set as the default printer. This will probably also work for the existing
>> printers added by other methods. This kb explains how to do it
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314486
>>
>> To add printers to computers rather than users, just assign the script as
>> computer startup script in Group Policy instead of a user logon script.
>>
>> "Springside" <Springside@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have recently setup a print server in Win2k AD, and I am currently in
>> > the
>> > process of adding printers to groups via a logon script. I am
>> > successfull
>> > in
>> > adding the printers, however I can not seem to find out how to set one
>> > of
>> > the
>> > printers as a default printer. In addition, is it possible to add a
>> > script
>> > to be run so the printers would be added to worstations rather than
>> > users?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance!
>> > Vince

Thanks Simon, works great! Running into a couple errors with the startup
script for workstations, but I'm working through them.

Thanks again!