Matching GA-965P-DQ6 to DDR2

justSteve

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I'm getting ready to build a system prioritized to as fast as xp response as practical - it's a development box not used for gaming or media production. I just want apps to snap from one to another as quick as possible.

I'm not an experienced overclocker and my reading leads me to think that the GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 would be a good choice - seems to be a consensus that it's a board that makes good oc results easy to achieve.

Same logic drives my reasoning to an e4300 - from the way i read it, by oc I can get a $200 chip to perform way, way above it's pay grade.

Research on RAM leads me to Super Talent PC2-6400 again, easy to oc without being too aggressive. But will this ram match up with the board?

Board says:
Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

One reviewer of the RAM said:
verclocking the Super Talent T800UX2GC4 memory on an nForce4 SLI Intel Edition motherboard is a bit different than what we're used to, but the differences are purely academic. With motherboards based on this popular nVidia chipset, users must raise the bus speed instead of the FSB. The value of that figure sounds more impressive, but don't let that fool you, the methods are essentially the same.

Anyone care to help me interpret that relative to this board?

many thx
--steve...

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
They mostly fixed that with the F4 bios - and now they're on the F9 bios.

But its a a characteristic of the 965P chipset to supply 1.8v to the memory bus. If your memory needs 2.2v, you will likely have to either boot with only one stick and change the voltage - or, if that doesn't work, get a stick of cheap DDR2-533 and boot with that and raise the voltage.