Users can not change passwords locally at workstation

I have locked down users from many items - such as Control Panel, DOS Prompt,
Run Command and others.

Now the users can not change there passwords locally at the task manager
command. The only way a user can change his password is by going into the
server room and changing the password via AD - Users and Computers MMC.

Thanks for any help...
2 answers Last reply
More about users change passwords locally workstation

    See if they change their password by using control-alt-delete and then
    selecting change password. Also check user configuration/administrative
    templates/system/logon&logoff for the setting disable change password which
    you want to be set to disabled. If the user can change [meaning reset] their
    own password using Active Directory Users and Computers then that means they
    are domain administrators unless you have delegated them that permission to
    reset user passwords so you may want to evaluate that situation. --- Steve

    "Jon Schwartz" <JonSchwartz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have locked down users from many items - such as Control Panel, DOS
    >Prompt,
    > Run Command and others.
    >
    > Now the users can not change there passwords locally at the task manager
    > command. The only way a user can change his password is by going into the
    > server room and changing the password via AD - Users and Computers MMC.
    >
    > Thanks for any help...

    Hi
    I had similar problem - users could not change their passwords when
    expiration time was achieved. When I add them Change password permission to
    their AD account problem was resolved (I have granted permissions to Username
    instead of SELF). I recorded it with Windows 2000 Professional with SP3.
    The same problem as You're describing I saw with Windows XP Professional
    SP1. As I remember it was problem with DC registry - You have to check Error
    message on support.microsoft.com. In my case the solution was update to WinXP
    SP2.

    Regards
    Przemek

    "Jon Schwartz" wrote:

    > I have locked down users from many items - such as Control Panel, DOS Prompt,
    > Run Command and others.
    >
    > Now the users can not change there passwords locally at the task manager
    > command. The only way a user can change his password is by going into the
    > server room and changing the password via AD - Users and Computers MMC.
    >
    > Thanks for any help...

Workstations Command Prompt Windows