Hurrah! Successful Build but Q re: case fans

Catt

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
Success!

I put together a system on thursday for the first time. I am so pleased. Everything worked first time and its so much more powerful than my laptop! :D

Highlights include:
E6600
Zalman 9700 CPU cooler
Sapphire X1950 Ultimate
Zalaman 600 HP PSU
MSI P965 Platinum
Samsung 215TW - Bah! blue sub-pixel defect in centre of screen. But its not visible on black or white backgrounds, but still very annoying!!!
X-Fi Gamer

Everything works great at the moment. The 9700 keeps the CPU extremely cool - idling at 19-22 centigrade and only rises to about 25 after an hour of playing Halo - and this is all on the low setting! The Sapphire card only reaches about 39.

The only issue are the case fans. I have them connected directly to the PSU and so they don't switch off when I put it into standby and they aren't temperature controlled.

The MSI board has a spare four-pin power connector apparently for legacy graphics cards but the fans would fit it. Each fan has a male and a female power connector.

Is it possible to fit one to the socket on the MB and the other fan to the connector on the first fan? Will this then mean the fans get switched off when put into standby and will they be temperature controlled by the MB?

The MB manual is totally useless in this regard!! :roll:

Thanks very much :D

Although I didn't post too many messages prior to this I have found these forums invaluable as a source of reliable and extremely helpful information (along with tomshardware itself). Thanks!!

Catt

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005
That molex connector on the motherboard is for auxilery power only. You only plug a molex from the PSU there. It will not power fans. If you want the fans to be controlled you will have to buy a 5.25" bay fan controler. Even if you could find a cable that would take the 4 pin molex and make a 3 pin for the motherboard the motherboard may not be able to control them. Generaly the motherboard needs to have the 3rd wire that measures the RPMs of the fans in order to control them.

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. So basically I'd need to buy new case fans that have a 3-pin connector?

WackyTabacy

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Dont forget you can buy splittercable (molex-3pin)specially for casefans!
just connect these to a molex on youre PSU and away you go!
Wacky :wink:

WackyTabacy

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I bought a Zalman casefan controller a year ago. It looks really good but I ended up never using the damned thing! everything at full speed all the time.
Who needs fancontol?