Questions regarding photo slide show on a HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 4, 2004 2:53:33 PM

I plan to create a photo CD to play a slideshow from a DVD Player to a
big screen TV.

All my digital photos were taken at 4 Megapixels. The high resolution
is necessary to allow enlargement in case I need to make a photoprint.
Obviously, the high res is an overkill for the TV slideshow. Though
my DVD player can scale down the picture automatically, it takes a
long pause between pictures. I want to pick a picture size that is
smallest yet make "maximium" use of the TV+DVD's resolution.

What size should I downscale the digital photos to when I burn this
photo CD?

Since photos in portrait mode will not utilize the side of the screen,
what is the optimal size for Portrait pictures in comparison to
Landscape pictures?

Will the answer be different if the same Photo CD is also played on a
computer screen? My 15" computer screen is usually set at 1024x768.
I guess depending on the quality of the monitor, not all the pixels
are well separated. What is the resolution setting where a 15" mon
fails to make a difference?
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 6:23:42 PM

Caloonese wrote:

> I plan to create a photo CD to play a slideshow from a DVD Player to a
> big screen TV.
>
> All my digital photos were taken at 4 Megapixels. The high resolution
> is necessary to allow enlargement in case I need to make a photoprint.
> Obviously, the high res is an overkill for the TV slideshow. Though
> my DVD player can scale down the picture automatically, it takes a
> long pause between pictures. I want to pick a picture size that is
> smallest yet make "maximium" use of the TV+DVD's resolution.
>
> What size should I downscale the digital photos to when I burn this
> photo CD?

Well, if it's coming from your DVD player, I imagine you're limited to
480p resolution, which means 720x480-ish.

I have my computer hooked up to my HDTV displaying true 720p
resolution (VGA->RGB), so I keep my images at 1280x720 for best display.
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 7:14:59 PM

Caloonese wrote:
> I plan to create a photo CD to play a slideshow from a DVD Player to a
> big screen TV.
>
> All my digital photos were taken at 4 Megapixels. The high resolution
> is necessary to allow enlargement in case I need to make a photoprint.
> Obviously, the high res is an overkill for the TV slideshow. Though
> my DVD player can scale down the picture automatically, it takes a
> long pause between pictures. I want to pick a picture size that is
> smallest yet make "maximium" use of the TV+DVD's resolution.
>
> What size should I downscale the digital photos to when I burn this
> photo CD?
>
> Since photos in portrait mode will not utilize the side of the screen,
> what is the optimal size for Portrait pictures in comparison to
> Landscape pictures?
>
> Will the answer be different if the same Photo CD is also played on a
> computer screen? My 15" computer screen is usually set at 1024x768.
> I guess depending on the quality of the monitor, not all the pixels
> are well separated. What is the resolution setting where a 15" mon
> fails to make a difference?

There are a few things to consider:

1- DVDs are interlaced and have much less resolution than either the
4MPixel images or even your 1024x768 monitor.

2- Scaling an image using your DVD burning software will likely resize
the all images at DVD resolution.

3- Scaling is not an exact art and sometimes images are not scaled well.

Assuming you can throw any size images on the DVD and they somehow scale
when displayed onthe TV (how this would happen I'm not sure) and you
want to maximize disk space and still be able to view them on your 15"
monitor without cropping or forced scaling, then use something close to
768 as the vertical resolution.

--
David G.
June 5, 2004 1:56:04 AM

"Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I plan to create a photo CD to play a slideshow from a DVD Player to a
> big screen TV.
>
> All my digital photos were taken at 4 Megapixels. The high resolution
> is necessary to allow enlargement in case I need to make a photoprint.
> Obviously, the high res is an overkill for the TV slideshow. Though
> my DVD player can scale down the picture automatically, it takes a
> long pause between pictures. I want to pick a picture size that is
> smallest yet make "maximium" use of the TV+DVD's resolution.
>
> What size should I downscale the digital photos to when I burn this
> photo CD?
>
> Since photos in portrait mode will not utilize the side of the screen,
> what is the optimal size for Portrait pictures in comparison to
> Landscape pictures?
>
> Will the answer be different if the same Photo CD is also played on a
> computer screen? My 15" computer screen is usually set at 1024x768.
> I guess depending on the quality of the monitor, not all the pixels
> are well separated. What is the resolution setting where a 15" mon
> fails to make a difference?

I would recommend that you make your own test cases. If you want them to
display on a 1024x768 monitor as well then try scaling the pictures so that
they are max dimension is or does not exceed 1024 and 768. If you want to
try for quickest display on your DVD player then try a max vert dimension of
480.

If you are in the market for a DVD player and displaying photos is a
significant concern then I recommend the Philips DVD 727. It will display
your photos without overscan, and the loading/scaling of the next photo is
in the background so you dont see it. Also don't expect other model numbers
to perform the same as the 727 even if it's Philips.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 8:59:07 PM

Perhaps I missed it and if I did I'm sorry - but, what software do you use
to make a DVD from digital pictures on tour computer. I have tried several
programs which do not work. Thanks.

"Michael J. Sherman" <msherman@dsbox.com> wrote in message
> Caloonese wrote:
>
> > I plan to create a photo CD to play a slideshow from a DVD Player to a
> > big screen TV.
> >
> > All my digital photos were taken at 4 Megapixels. The high resolution
> > is necessary to allow enlargement in case I need to make a photoprint.
> > Obviously, the high res is an overkill for the TV slideshow. Though
> > my DVD player can scale down the picture automatically, it takes a
> > long pause between pictures. I want to pick a picture size that is
> > smallest yet make "maximium" use of the TV+DVD's resolution.
> >
> > What size should I downscale the digital photos to when I burn this
> > photo CD?
>
> Well, if it's coming from your DVD player, I imagine you're limited to
> 480p resolution, which means 720x480-ish.
>
> I have my computer hooked up to my HDTV displaying true 720p
> resolution (VGA->RGB), so I keep my images at 1280x720 for best display.

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 1:10:02 AM

Recommend you a nice software named "Photo2DVD" from
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com
It can burn very high quality photo VCDs, DVDs, or SVCDs complete with
powerful selection menu and your background image or music.
!