Sign in with
Your question

DX10: Next Generation Cards Needed or Not.

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2007 11:11:31 AM

In the process of building a new gaming rig i've come up alot on the subject of DX10. Basically it seems that many are saying you need DX10 to run Vista and you need a video card that supports DX10. Now, if it wasnt just from one source i would have dismissed it but from reading it from many snippets of forum topics and reading hardware review articles it seems that it is strongly hinted that video cards under Vista will need DX10 to run it.

Now this seems kinda silly because 1) DX10 hasnt been released yet (to my knowledge) and 2) Vista has been (check sites like NewEGG who are selling the Vista Preium OEM for $120). Right now i am looking to buy a 7950GT card for my new rig since dropping $450 to $550 on an 8800GTX or GTS doesn't look pleasing to the budget i set for myself for this rig. My question to the community is this: Will current gen cards prior to DX10 like the 7800's 7900's and 7950's WILL be able to support DX10 when she is finally released? Because the notion that these cards cannot be patched to support DX10 seems kinda silly to me basically. I wont be upgrading to Vista till the summer time anyways to give companies time to release thier upgrades and patches to support it. But at the same time i dont want to buy a card that many are telling me won't support DX10 for some strange odd reason.
January 27, 2007 11:40:15 AM

Current 7 series cards from nvidia will not support dx10.However they should run on vista.Just not have support for dx10.In short,if you want to run dx10 on vista,you need the nvidia 8 series graphics cards.Period.Or the ati equivalent.As for forking out 450-550 dollars,well look at it this way.Those same 8 series cards cost 650 for the gts and 825 for the gtx up here in Canada.So hey,if you think it's too much for your blood then stick to the 7 series for now.I'm slowly getting my system ready for dual 8800gtx cards for sli.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE (soon 2b crucial balistix ddr500)
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
January 27, 2007 11:44:01 AM

Dumping support for DX9 cards that make up most of the modern gaming pcs in favor of pushing DX10 cards is as silly as MS releasing a malware-infected Vista on P2P networks to make people buy the legit version.

For the record, I tried out Vista on 7900 which is a DX9 card.

Old cards WILL run on DX10, but WON'T take full advantage of it. i.e. Shader Model 4.0 is not supported by SM3.0/DX9 cards.

What I think they are trying to say is you need a DX10 card to take FULL advantage of Vista.
Related resources
January 27, 2007 11:53:51 AM

Hmm, so in a way the entire 7 series will be obsolete very soon in terms of keeping up with present technology. Because soon games will start supporting and building with DX10 in mind very soon and to say the 7 series will basically not be able to fully be DX10 compliant is very disheartening. I'm sure they can run Vista (since it currently is) but to be only under the banner of DX9 is a very hard pill to swollow. Hell i'm sure they are going to release budget versions of the 8 series soon. I wont be suprised to see a 8800GT sometime soon.
January 27, 2007 11:56:46 AM

You are correct in assuming that budget 8 series cards are going to come out soon.But as hard as it is to swallow,7 series cards will never support dx10.Technology advances my friend,and yes the 7 series will be obsolete very soon.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE (soon 2b crucial balistix ddr500)
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
January 27, 2007 1:07:49 PM

i suppose. Took me a minute to realize the 7 series debuted around Spring of 2005. I'm still running on my 7800GT that, at the time, was second to the best card on the market, it's GTX older brother. Seems i'll adjust my budget to allow a 8800GTS from EVGA.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 27, 2007 1:37:02 PM

Ok, let me try to set the record straight.

Quote:
Basically it seems that many are saying you need DX10 to run Vista and you need a video card that supports DX10.

WRONG! If you don't turn on glass/Aero, you don't even need a DX9 card. What card you can run is dependant on what drivers you can find. If ATI ever makes a RAGE driver for vista, you should be able to use that. If you want to run glass/Aero, then you need a DX9 card or better. Cards from from the 9700pro forward should be able to run glass. If you have a DX10 card and want to play DX10 games then you need vista. MS has stated they aren't porting DX10 over to XP.

Quote:
Will current gen cards prior to DX10 like the 7800's 7900's and 7950's WILL be able to support DX10 when she is finally released?

No. The current DX9 cards lack features found in the DX10 specs. (for instance, they don't have the geometry shader.) Its possible to emulate the features of DX10 on the x1900 cards, but you wouldn't want to run any games on them.

Quote:
at the same time i dont want to buy a card that many are telling me won't support DX10 for some strange odd reason.

Read back if you've already forgotten, but if you want to run DX10, you'll need to run vista. You don't mind buying a card to support DX10, but you have no problem running a first "gen" microsoft OS??? I say buy your 7950GT, and wait for Vista SP1. You might even want to wait a bit after that. I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the DX10 bandwagon. DX9 has some life in it left.
January 27, 2007 1:50:47 PM

that is what i figured. i know MS are hard selling Vista to where they are dead set on NOT supporting DX10 on XP at all. meaning you'd have to upgrade. As for games i'm sure titles over the next year or so will have DX9 support but it seems for many a Vista upgrade will be unavoidable at some point. I'm not too much in a rush to get Vista cause i'm sure she's buggy at present which is why i'm waiting till either summer or SP1 is released. I'd actually like to see how game devs will use DX10. From what i hear particle affetcs, like those brought out by Ageia cards, will be obtainable on DX10 without the extra add-on physics card. Hmm, it'll be an interesting year.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 27, 2007 1:59:32 PM

If this is what you believe, why the first post? I'm not even waiting until SP1 comes out, but rather the second generation of DX10 cards. I'm more then happy to let someone else work all the bugs out on these cards. When the second gen DX10 cards are out, along with SP1 or 2, and there are real DX10 games that I care about out, then I'll worry about upgrading to vista.
!