Updating Time Zone with GPO

Hi guys!
I need to update all desktops with a new time zone and modify the
"Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving changes" checkbox. I'm
talking about around 500 desktops.
Is it posible to get this done by using GPOs?
Anyone have any other idea to do this?

Why would I do that? Well... This was never correctly setup and when they
realized, some big boss said that it was easiest to change those settings on
servers than on desktops... so the domain was never correctly sync and that's
what I'm trying to fix.

Any help, any comment will be welcome!

"Rodrigo" wrote:
> Hi guys!
> I need to update all desktops with a new time zone and modify
> the
> "Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving changes"
> checkbox. I'm
> talking about around 500 desktops.
> Is it posible to get this done by using GPOs?
> Anyone have any other idea to do this?
>
> Why would I do that? Well... This was never correctly setup
> and when they
> realized, some big boss said that it was easiest to change
> those settings on
> servers than on desktops... so the domain was never correctly
> sync and that's
> what I'm trying to fix.
>
> Any help, any comment will be welcome!

Hi Rodrigo,

every machine joined to the domain should be synchronized its time to
the PDC emulator. So, if all computers already joined to the domain,
no worry about that.

- Irwin -

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Updating-Time-Zone-GPO-ftopict275306.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=873959

Hi Irwing.
Yes, your are right. In fact, the domain is internally sync correctly. The
problem is when I try to sync whit the external time server of my country.
When I do this, the clock is set to a difference of 1 hour from real time.
I checked the Daylight checkbox on the internal ntp server (the PDC), which
then set its clock correctly but all desktops (which have not that checkbox
checked) set their clock to a difference of 1 hour.
That's why I need to check that checkbox on all desktops. And I must do it
as simultanous as possible and as transparent to users as possible.

Regards,
Rodrigo.

"irwinutama" wrote:

> "Rodrigo" wrote:
> > Hi guys!
> > I need to update all desktops with a new time zone and modify
> > the
> > "Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving changes"
> > checkbox. I'm
> > talking about around 500 desktops.
> > Is it posible to get this done by using GPOs?
> > Anyone have any other idea to do this?
> >
> > Why would I do that? Well... This was never correctly setup
> > and when they
> > realized, some big boss said that it was easiest to change
> > those settings on
> > servers than on desktops... so the domain was never correctly
> > sync and that's
> > what I'm trying to fix.
> >
> > Any help, any comment will be welcome!
>
> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> every machine joined to the domain should be synchronized its time to
> the PDC emulator. So, if all computers already joined to the domain,
> no worry about that.
>

> - Irwin -

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Updating-Time-Zone-GPO-ftopict275306.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=873959

I just set the clock on one computer the way I wanted it, exported the reg
key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International] and put it in a startup
script to import the reg key (by user, obviously).

I did have some problems with people that had already scheduled meetings for
the future... their calendars were a little off kilter 'til those meetings
had occurred (and sometimes an hour off) due to the time change. It may not
be as seamless as you expect.

Ken