XP SP2 Firewall program exceptions

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hello,
I have applied group policy settings to allow certain program
exceptions everything is working fine except a couple of machines . They do
not seem to get the exception list if i rebbot a couple of times they
eventually get it any ideas why they are not getting the exceptions
everytime. I did not see any errors in event viewer.

thanks,
John

Hi John

You could take a

gpresult /z

from the client when it succeeds and when it fails and compare. It's
possible you're running into an issue where XP is allowing you to log on
before the network is ready (this is the default in Windows XP). If you
allow the client to sit for some time before logging on, does it appear to
succeed?

You can configure XP to wait for the network before presenting the logon
dialog. This is done in group policy under Computer configuration ->
Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon -> Always wait for the network
at computer startup and logon.

Ultimately you can gather a user environment debug log to see what's going
on. Beware the logs are fairly low level:

221833 How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of
Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=221833

HTH
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"JOhn" <JOhn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have applied group policy settings to allow certain program
> exceptions everything is working fine except a couple of machines . They
> do
> not seem to get the exception list if i rebbot a couple of times they
> eventually get it any ideas why they are not getting the exceptions
> everytime. I did not see any errors in event viewer.
>
> thanks,
> John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Mark,
I already have wait for network enabled. Could it be anything else ?

John

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi John
>
> You could take a
>
> gpresult /z
>
> from the client when it succeeds and when it fails and compare. It's
> possible you're running into an issue where XP is allowing you to log on
> before the network is ready (this is the default in Windows XP). If you
> allow the client to sit for some time before logging on, does it appear to
> succeed?
>
> You can configure XP to wait for the network before presenting the logon
> dialog. This is done in group policy under Computer configuration ->
> Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon -> Always wait for the network
> at computer startup and logon.
>
> Ultimately you can gather a user environment debug log to see what's going
> on. Beware the logs are fairly low level:
>
> 221833 How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of
> Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=221833
>
> HTH
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> "JOhn" <JOhn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I have applied group policy settings to allow certain program
> > exceptions everything is working fine except a couple of machines . They
> > do
> > not seem to get the exception list if i rebbot a couple of times they
> > eventually get it any ideas why they are not getting the exceptions
> > everytime. I did not see any errors in event viewer.
> >
> > thanks,
> > John

Hi John

I could be any number of things. The logging is the best bet.

HTH