Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi or Msi 975X Platinum Powerup Edition?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 27, 2007 12:14:16 PM

i was looking through internet and i'd like to know what the best board/price
i live in belgium so its in euro's

Msi 975X Platinum Powerup Edition 199€
Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi 198€
February 2, 2007 8:08:47 PM

I would not recommend the MSI board over the Asus if you are going to overclock. I just bought an MSI P965 Platinum and had horrible overclocking results. I switched to the Asus P5B Deluxe (non wifi) and overclocking was a breeze. I realize the MSI board is a different chipset then the one you are looking at but I can't imagine the build quality of the MSI 975 is better then the 965. Just my two cents.
February 4, 2007 3:39:15 AM

I am considering the P5B deluxe MB also. As someone who has never OC'd,
could you tell me which CPU, memory and CPU cooler you bought?

Also, telling me the steps you took to OC and the GHz you are running the CPU at would be great.

Thanks,
Related resources
February 4, 2007 5:41:41 AM

Quote:

Also, telling me the steps you took to OC and the GHz you are running the CPU at would be great.

Thanks,

You could use the stuff in my SIG. DDR2-800 or higher memory is a must if you expect to get the most out of your CPU. Read the link in my SIG. It'll tell you a good amount of info on OC'ing the 965 chipset. Right now, my CPU is @ 1.46v, my MCH is @ 1.4v, my ICHIO is @ 1.6v, and my memory is @ 1.9V. The TEC cooler is expensive, compared to air coolers, but since I'm a desert rat, it'll keep my CPU cooler than room temperature come summertime. 8)
February 5, 2007 3:15:58 PM

I bought the e4300 (allendale) which I was able to overclock to a reasonable 3375MHz. The memory I used was Corsair ddr2 pc6400 xms2 2 GB matched pair. The ram has a timing rate of 4-4-4-12 but I'm running it at 5-5-5-15. You may be able to get better timings with Crucial memory and/or playing around with voltage settings. The cpu cooler is a Noctua NH-U12F (quietpc.com). I have all of the voltage settings to auto. I bumped the fsb to 375MHz and set the ram to 1:1 ratio, which in this case is 750MHz. The asus board adjusts the voltage as needed with the auto settings and I thought that was a nice feature. I also used Arctic Silver 5 paste instead of the stock stuff and it seemed to help lower the temperature by 5 degrees. My numbers are probably conservative given what others are pushing their cpus to, but it's faster (in most benchmarks) then the $1000.00 x6800 extreme and my cpu is at about 25 degrees celcius at idle. The e4300 can probably be pushed further but this is more then I expected out of a low end processor.
February 7, 2007 1:35:08 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

You could use the stuff in my SIG. DDR2-800 or higher memory is a must if you expect to get the most out of your CPU. Read the link in my SIG. It'll tell you a good amount of info on OC'ing the 965 chipset. Right now, my CPU is @ 1.46v, my MCH is @ 1.4v, my ICHIO is @ 1.6v, and my memory is @ 1.9V. The TEC cooler is expensive, compared to air coolers, but since I'm a desert rat, it'll keep my CPU cooler than room temperature come summertime. 8)

I am also looking for good memory for the P5B Deluxe. Do you know any specific DDR2 800 (for the P5B Dux) that can do CL4 at 400 Mhz without much sweat? Using water-cooling?
!