Your question

Audio problems

Last response: in Windows 7
November 24, 2009 12:22:54 AM

Using windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Asus M4A79XTD Evo mobo with VIA VT1708S HD Audio Chipset

Latest VIA drivers are installed from asus.com
All codecs are installed (used CCCP)

Issue is basically, some sounds work, and some dont, here is a little what doesnt work and what does work list

Works Flawlessly:
-Operating System sounds (dings, start up jingle etc)
-HalfLife2 in game sounds (ie, guns, running walking, etc)

Doesnt work (sounds distorted, tinny, underwater sounding, or almost completely inaudible)
- Mp3s (used 3 different media players)
- audio in x264, avi, etc. (I know those are just containers and the audio codecs used all vary)
- CD's
- In game chat using microphones (i havnt used mine, but I can BARELY hear people when they are talking with my volume CRANKED)
- Internet media, ie streaming video/audio

I cannot for the LIFE of me, figure this issue out, and it seems no one has a clue either, so im hoping that maybe some of you guys in here do.

Thanks

More about : audio problems

a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2009 9:27:35 AM

Is there a control console like thing where you can change the set up of your speakers? Sounds as if your speakers are set to something they are not, i.e. 3.1 sound instead of 5.1 sound. If there isn't a specific program for it, you can change the speaker set up through Windows audio properties.
m
l
November 27, 2009 3:26:59 PM

im running through headphones, just stereo and it is set to that.

there doesnt seem to be any answer to my problem, ive tried literally everything.

Im installing linux tonight, and if it works then I know its simply a windows 7 issue, well not so simply because it seems im the only person in the world that this is happening to.

If it doesnt work then its gotta be hardware and asus is getting a kick in the..
m
l
March 24, 2010 4:58:46 PM

This may be related, maybe not, but it's worth a look.

I just built a new desktop system with the ASUS M4A785T mobo and Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. New OEM install on new HD.

All updates, and everything worked perfectly.
Then I did my usual desktop tweaks, including turning off the Power saving junk designed for laptops, and next boot (at the customers site!) there was a red x on the speaker in the system tray and an error message saying the Windows Audio service couldn't start, and that it was related to the Windows Audio End Point service.

I wasted a whole day messing with the services, bla bla bla, all the things us techie guys try before we look at things that shouldn't cause a problem.

In this case (verified being reproduced 3 times) turning off the power saving service, which is what happens if you select NEVER for when to turn off the Monitor and HD, the sound won't work.

I suspect this has something to do with the End Point service but my job isn't to trouble shoot for MS.

Anyway, I tweaked power settings for the service in Admin Tools/Component Services/Services(local) to just hibernate the HD after an hour and that fixed it up.

I actually like the hibernate now that I've tried it on a desktop, it's like a 5 second boot ;-}
m
l
!