Sign in with
Your question

Penryn & Nehalem, Some Questions

Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2007 12:46:06 PM

After reading all this stuff of Penryn and Nehalim, I have some questions

Is Penryn a new arquitecture or just the codename for the processors with 45nm? What architecture will Penryn use? Core arquitecture? if Penryn is the arquitecture, what are the codenames for the processors?

Is Nehalem a new arquitecture? Or again, the codename for the processors which will use 32nm? if Nehalem is the codename for the processors, will they use the Penryn architecture? (or core?)

I know this is confusing but thats why I needed to make this topic, hope somebody can explain it to me.
January 27, 2007 12:54:21 PM

I remember in reading that they said that the Penryn will use existing core microarchitecture. Nehalem will be a newly redisigned architecture for H2 2008. Nehalem is 45nm.

Quote:
Penryn is not an entirely new processor, meaning that it will continue to use the architectural concept of Merom.

Quote:
Single-die quad-cores are not expected to arrive until the introduction of the Nehalem core, which will succeed Penryn with a completely new 45 nm architecture in the second half of 2008.
January 27, 2007 1:50:48 PM

Quote:
After reading all this stuff of Penryn and Nehalim, I have some questions

Is Penryn a new arquitecture or just the codename for the processors with 45nm? What architecture will Penryn use? Core arquitecture? if Penryn is the arquitecture, what are the codenames for the processors?

Is Nehalem a new arquitecture? Or again, the codename for the processors which will use 32nm? if Nehalem is the codename for the processors, will they use the Penryn architecture? (or core?)

I know this is confusing but thats why I needed to make this topic, hope somebody can explain it to me.

Penryn is supposedly Core 2 MCM, while Nehalem will have "native" quad core.
Related resources
January 27, 2007 1:59:19 PM

dude, i couldn't help but notice that u have a sick assed mobo with a stock E6600?...why?
January 27, 2007 2:05:44 PM

maby he wants the features of his mobo with the reliability of his processor?
January 27, 2007 3:12:35 PM

I was just reading about this stuff this morning. It seems pretty cool. It even looks like 8 cores will be on the way too. (2x4 cores on a single die)

For some reason though, I could not find out if it would run on existing socket sizes, specifically LGA 775? (Wishful thinking, I know.)

I assume that it won't, due to the new manufacturing process... but can anyone confirm this please?
January 27, 2007 3:41:12 PM

Im not sure if socket 775 will stay, but DDR3 is on the way and that might trigger a socket change. Octo-core seems kind of usless unless you need it for a workstation or server. Its hell for the programmers :lol: .
January 27, 2007 3:42:33 PM

Quote:
I remember in reading that they said that the Penryn will use existing core microarchitecture. Nehalem will be a newly redisigned architecture for H2 2008. Nehalem is 45nm.

Penryn is not an entirely new processor, meaning that it will continue to use the architectural concept of Merom.

Quote:
Single-die quad-cores are not expected to arrive until the introduction of the Nehalem core, which will succeed Penryn with a completely new 45 nm architecture in the second half of 2008.

Yes, That is from anandtech, and if thats 100% true, then Penryn is the codename for the 1st processor at 45nm which will use the Core architecture.
Nehalem is a new architecture (will replace Core) which will still use 45nm, is like an upgrade from the Core arquitecture.
Also I read that Nehalem will be the first architecture to be upgraded from 45nm to 32nm.

Now I understand, thanks a lot.

BigCharb, well I know, is weird :p  to answer your question, Im still missing the Raptor, I need it to install Windows and star to OC'ing. Once I OC, I will upgrade my signature ;)  but hey! dont panic, I will OC, I wont keep my E6600 at stock speeds ;)  thats for sure.
January 27, 2007 4:21:24 PM

good luck :wink:
January 27, 2007 4:22:11 PM

Quote:
good luck :wink:

thx
!