How to limit programs in Windows Start

I have a PC that I want to only allow a user to run my application. I do not
want thems to be able to change any settings or start other programs.
I know I have seen a Start menu that did not allow access to Control Panel,
the Internet etc.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:59:03 -0800, "irishmonroe" <irishmonroe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a PC that I want to only allow a user to run my application. I do not
>want thems to be able to change any settings or start other programs.
>I know I have seen a Start menu that did not allow access to Control Panel,
>the Internet etc.

Why not make your application the shell?
See the bottom of tip 50 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

or see tip 74 » How do I change the shell for selected users?

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

There are a lot of tips under 50, did not see teh one one changing teh Shell
to my program. Could you be more specific in pointing nme in teh right
direction.

I think the SShell idea is a good one and would like to try it.

Thanks

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 07:11:06 -0800, "irishmonroe" <irishmonroe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>There are a lot of tips under 50, did not see teh one one changing teh Shell
>to my program. Could you be more specific in pointing nme in teh right
>direction.
>
>I think the SShell idea is a good one and would like to try it.
>
>Thanks
>
>"Jerold Schulman" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:59:03 -0800, "irishmonroe" <irishmonroe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a PC that I want to only allow a user to run my application. I do not
>> >want thems to be able to change any settings or start other programs.
>> >I know I have seen a Start menu that did not allow access to Control Panel,
>> >the Internet etc.
>>

>> Why not make your application the shell?
>> See the bottom of tip 50 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
>>
>> or see tip 74 » How do I change the shell for selected users?
>>
>> Jerold Schulman
>> Windows Server MVP
>> JSI, Inc.
>> http://www.jsiinc.com

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell and replace the current .exe with YourOwnLauncher.exe. See "Restricting system features ..." on a subsequent Tips page."

See tip 74 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Hi

I'm not sure that it answers your question but some good general guidance
that you might want to taqke a look at is:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/csws2003.mspx

HTH
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]